TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re The Whinging Pom
#1 Parent TheMount - 2016-02-28
Re The Whinging Pom

Leslie Nielson would be a well known Canuck. A Canadian. His father a 'Mountie' and his brother was (i recall) Deputy Prime Minister of Canada at some point. But Nielson did have that sense of absurd sarcasm that a lot of Canadians inherited from the UK.

But I wish you had a better example of British wit.

#2 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-02-27
Re The Whinging Pom

Thanks for your reply CL

I think the 'Monday morning moan' applies everywhere to some extent

I lived in Perth (Australia) for 15 years and many bars were full of drunken people at 5pm - by 8pm bars are pretty much empty because everyone has work the next day

I definitely remember the Monday morning moan a LOT more when I lived in the UK though

As for the Brits having the ability to laugh at themselves - I work with a couple of American FT's who really cannot seem to understand why we do, yet at the same time concede that Brits have the best humour/comedy in the world

I put it down to our ability to understand and use sarcasm. No other English-speaking culture appears to use it like the Brits. The yanks struggle with it (although Leslie Nielson - the actor in the 'Naked' spoofs certainly knows his sarcasm), Aussies struggle with it and it's totally wasted on ESL students, even those with a high-level of English ability

Classis comedy shows such as 'Fawlty Towers' and 'Only Fools and Horses' use sarcastic humour to the max - and it works because there's nothing funnier than sarcasm (IMO)

Recently, I was in our office when a particularly obnoxious student came in to complain to another teacher about something trivial (as usual). Her English is excellent (better than some of our Chinese-English teachers) and I totally respect her for her English ability, but the problem is just that she's not-a-nice-person

Anyway, she was griping and moaning and just getting on people's nerves when I said 'Hey, can I ask you a question?' The reply was a flat 'What?'

I looked her in the eye and said 'Does your mother bark as loud as you?'

Wasted...........totally wasted......even the American FT's didn't understand the sarcasm..........I rest my case m'lud

Return to Index › Re The Whinging Pom

Go to another board -