TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Training Centres
#1 Parent DrofTCM - 2016-03-07
Re Training Centres

Yes, thats the standard insult.

but, by and large its untrue. Most of them have decent educations (though a grade 12 is all thats required anyway) and came because they were motivated and interested and believed they'd be doing something tremendous.

then they discovered training centres are mostly rubbish or really mostly scammers, cheats, use FT for everything they can get etc.

but yes you are parroting the standard insults. Most of the public and Uni teachers either part-time at training centers or were working in training centers when they came to China or still do. Some go to training centers because they can make more money.

but yes thats the standard insult post hehe

#2 Parent Jack The Ripper - 2016-03-07
Re Training Centres

You don't understand either. Training cenrtres are rubbish, and so are most of the people working for them - no degree, no real education, backpackers, doormen, and social losers who are unemplyable their own country.

#3 Parent DrofTCM - 2016-03-07
Re Training Centres

No, none of that matters in our conversation.

And no, its not that difficult for native english speakers to get an idea of a student's english speaking ability. It will usually 'find itself out' soon enough.

#4 Parent martin hainan - 2016-03-06
Re Training Centres

Like say I can take it easier with my Uni students who almost always 'take care of themselves' and will improve
their English even if I slack and have fun classes. The lazy kids (some not too bright) and little buttheads AKA the 'unhealthy ones' who don't take care of themselves - THOSE are the ones I need to work on, pay attention to and make sure I keep on them or else its very very noticable!

Accurately evaluating a student's ability and effort is always problematic; in an EFL environment it is nearly impossible, even if the FT is fluent in the students' native language and is familiar with their culture.

Arrogance and prejudice are always offensive; in a teacher they are a disaster for his students.

Writing students should be taught that a spelling error that occurs in the final word of a run-on sentence and that is followed by a superfluous exclamation point is 'very very' noticeable.

#5 Parent DrofTCM - 2016-03-06
Re Training Centres

[edited]

- Your insurance agent is sure to sell the best package to the people who are paying close attention to his presentations.

(see, this would be the parents who just swiped 1000 worth of lessons on their debit the day before classes and damn well want to see lesson plans and then test their kids after class on just what exactly they learned)

-The Doctor you mention sounds a little lazy and conserves energy. He'd conserve that energy on the thin healthy patients who he knows are the easier surgery. Like say I can take it easier with my Uni students who almost always 'take care of themselves' and will improve their English even if I slack and have fun classes. The lazy kids (some not too bright) and little buttheads AKA the 'unhealthy ones' who don't take care of themselves - THOSE are the ones I need to work on, pay attention to and make sure I keep on them or else its very very noticable!

- Your priest would pray for the sinners. If he said the total opposite of his mission and job AND had that backward understanding of Christianity then he wouldn't really be a preist in the first place. wow you chose something you didn't even understand lol

[edited]

#6 Parent work it out - 2016-03-05
Re Training Centres

Why not just tell the truth, that is, universities and training schools are equally useless. As teachers in China we are looked at as being failures and rejects from the West. The teaching of language in China, by either Chinese or foreigners cannot be, and should not be taken seriously.

#7 Parent Caring - 2016-03-04
Re Training Centres

It's true that when one pays for a few lessons, s/he expects a quick return on the cash. So, teachers are supposed to show some quality in the areas of communication/social skills and abilities to identify strengths, weaknesses and interests in the paying student. Whether the education or entertainment take place in such classrooms remains to be seen.

On the other hand, the above mentioned customer service may not be so common in a public school layout where the large class may be expected to be motivated rather than academically challenged by the FT. So, as public school FT lessons are insignificant for students' performance, the scope of such classes is at question.

Anyhow, where the student studies does not matter as much as what and/or for what purpose s/he studies with us, since the academic goals give directions to all parties involved in. A return on investment should be considered and pondered.

Over and Out
Caring

#8 Parent Curious - 2016-03-04
Re: Re Training Centres

Very funny.
And very true!
:o)

#9 Parent martin hainan - 2016-03-03
Re Training Centres

Because of this I need to be more skilled, better, sharper, more attentive, a 'higher quality
teacher' than I was in the public classroom.

My doctor tells me he performs surgery with more attention on patients who are thin because fat people are lazy about taking care of their body.
My insurance agent says he sells second rate insurance to people that don't listen to him during his presentation.
My priest says he prays more fervently for the good people in his parish. "Screw the sinners" he often mumbles.

#10 Parent paul fox - 2016-03-03
Re Training Centres

@drofTCM

You raise a good point that I had missed completely. I work and have worked with teachers in schools who would simply not cope well in a training centre for exactly the reason you point out

Students in TC's often challenge the teacher far more than they ever do in schools because they ASK questions for a start lol

Sure, there's still those that 'clock-watch' and are first to leave the classroom as soon as the lesson finishes, but in the main they are often far more enjoyable to teach than the 'phone-players' and 'sleepers' that make up so many of public school kids

Thanks for raising a very valid point !

#11 Parent DrofTCM - 2016-03-03
Re Training Centres

A lot of ESL people talk about the difference between Training Centres and Public Schools like there is some important differences in quality or 'the type of people' or as you suggested there is some elite 'real teachers' in public schools compared to the lesser trash in Training Centers.

I've done both and still do both today. Sometimes running from a University class 'across the road' to a private Training Center and its not some big meaningful difference in terms of teachers, staff, quality, quanitity, lesson planning or anything other than one point you made..

..its true often public school kids (and this goes up to University levels too) but they have to be there and may not want to be there at all. They may or may not care whatsoever about Oral English classes. They may well talk on their phones or be obnoxious or sometimes just entirely bored and sleep through it.

To the other side of things: the Training Centres young adult or adult classes yes will more likely be full of students who've paid their own cash and/or very much want to be there. So now Paul pay attention to this part:

Because of this I need to be more skilled, better, sharper, more attentive, a 'higher quality teacher' than I was in the public classroom. Where a dog could drone on reading and pointing at pages and get away with it because in fact the kids don't have parents outside who dropped 5400 on classes from their pockets and the kids could care less anyways.

So.. again to your point: Yes, you (if anything) need to be a better teacher in a training centre IF anything. (I like to think everyone gives every class the best they have no matter what anyways).

Those working in public schools are usually pretty good. They are the same who teach in Training centers. The difference is very often overrated by what I guess is people who got a job at a public school then want to pretend they've 'leveled up' in some pathetic need for that.

paul fox - 2016-03-03
Training Centres

For the benefit of people contemplating coming to China to teach English, I think there is one important point that needs to be clarified

Training centres usually get the 'rough-end' here - and often rightly so

Sadly it's a classic case of the few dragging down the reputation of the many....

Essentially, a talking-dog could get a job teaching English in a training centre (if it were a native English-speaking, talking-dog)

Training centres are often hard-work and you 'lose' your weekends because Sat and Sun are their busiest days and most evenings you will work until 7pm or 9pm.....but.......

They are not ALL bad.....

The biggest difference between a mainstream school and a training centre (in China) is this.....

Schoolkids MUST attend school...students in training centres often attend because they WANT to, so attitudes are different

Schoolkids want to play on their phone and ignore you after you have put in countless hours making PPT's

Students in training centres will listen and behave much better (generally)

As always, do your research on the company before you sign a contract

Return to Index › Training Centres

Go to another board -