TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › esl teachers (qualifications) - Teachers Discussion *Link*
#1 Parent rainmyne - 2006-07-19
RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion

i was surprised to see my name in caps!!! i thought you were mad at me, mj...hehehe...

for Frank, thanks for the school reviews you always post becoz i get to think well before I apply for that school.

#2 Parent mj - 2006-07-18
beatbox - Teachers Discussion

hahaha! it's our native tongue frank!

#3 Parent Frank - 2006-07-18
BeatsPerMinute - Teachers Discussion

Hey, mj!

Does that latest posting of yours to rainmyne come with a drum machine?

I detect a possible disco hit...

F

#4 Parent mj - 2006-07-18
RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion

go pinoy! tang inang mga kwalipikasyon yan! minsan kung iisipin insecurity lang yan kasi hindi nila matanggap na magaling ang mga kapwa nila asyano at PINOY blood pa!

malungkot pero minsan hindi natin sila masisi kasi hinsi nila alam ang int'l standard. being a native speaker is tantamount to being white and having a blonde hair! duh!!!!!!!!!!!

we just have to prove ourselves!

pinoy ikaw ay pinoy ipakita sa mundo kung ano ang kaya mo!!!!

#5 Parent rainmyne - 2006-07-17
On asian faces and foreign faces - Teachers Discussion

I also feel bad because of this type of discrimination that is quite rampant here in China. I was looking for a new job and I always get offended whenever I see these ads with the phrases:
1. NO ASIANS
2. Only white people
3. American, British, NZ, Australian passports only.
the worst one:
4. FILIPINOS need not apply....

What a shame! For a fact that it also came from another Asian counterpart. I sometimes need to control myself not to reply to these kinds of ads.
I wonder if we do this to those Chinese men in the Philippines, lets see how they feel!

Also after reading some of the posts, I cant help but feel sad for those of my countrymen who just accept jobs which offer so little salary for the sake of getting a job here. I am lucky enough to get to a good school with a good salary and a VIP treatment. I hope my fellow Filipinos would not let other people especially these Chinese folks who abuse them becoz they are not WHITE people....

#6 Parent mj - 2006-07-16
on sad but true! - Teachers Discussion *Link*

raoul, thanks for that comment!

well, if the time comes that chinese people will realize this reality i hope it would be too late!

i hope filipinos would have the last laugh!!!!

mj is joyayi!!!

way to go!!!!

#7 Parent mj - 2006-07-16
on asian faces and foreign faces - Teachers Discussion *Link*

im a filipino and proud to be one i really hate being tagged as a chinese neither bing recognized as such!

by the way im also joyayi

#8 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-15
Sad but true - Teachers Discussion *Link*

I wouldn't argue against a single word of this post.

There are indeed many Filipinos in China trying to find work as English teachers, and they do indeed have a very rough time of it. This stems entirely because of their race and country of origin. Those who DO find jobs often get paid at the same rate as local Chinese teachers (if they're lucky)...which is to say 20-50% of what North American/European/Australasian teachers get.

It is of course pretty much entirely groundless. I know many fine Filipino people and many fine Filipino teachers here. I've long been involved in hiring teachers myself, and I have no problem hiring Filipino teachers. I insist on clear accents, but I apply the same rule to other teachers too. Unfortunately I often have a hard time placing Filipino teachers because my clients (I'm in corporate training) simply won't accept them. I hate it but I have to give the customers what they want or go out of business.

Chinese people seem to view English taught by non-Caucasians as not being "real" English. They would rather be taught English by, say, a German person than by a native-speaking Filipino...or, for that matter, by a native-born Black or Asian American. On top of that, South/Southeast Asians seem to suffer special discrimination here and Filipinos are not held in especially high regard. This, sadly, is a simple matter of skin color...South Asians are seen as being "darker" than Chinese, and therefore greatly inferior. "Lighter" skinned Japanese and Koreans, by comparison, are seen as only being somewhat inferior.

The situation is going beyond mere discrimination and entering into outright victimization. Filipinos, native-speaking Africans, Pakistanis/Indians, and others are starting to be seen as desperate marginal workers who will work for any salary and meekly take any abuse the school owner may care to give them. Some of the very worst schools here are starting to skip over the expensive foreigners who cause them so much trouble, and turn to the other wave of foreigners, such as Filipinos and Africans, instead. These workers are given ridiculous salaries (I've seen ads from schools targeting Filipinos and Africans, offering full time jobs for 1000-1500 RMB a month!), living conditions unfit for animals, and contemptuous treatment. The abuse is even worse...if the owner decides he doesn't even want to pay the 1,000 yuan, well, what are you going to do about it?

Stupid? Yeah. Infuriating? You bet. But it's also reality in China and we aren't going to be able to do a lot to change it. It IS changing, but only very slowly, and being strident about it will not help. It could hurt.

All you can do is hang tough, not take the unfair jobs, get the best jobs you can, perform well...and change the perceptions one school at a time. It will be a very long, slow, and painful battle.

#9 Parent Frank - 2006-07-15
Asian faces and "foreign faces" - Teachers Discussion

Yes, Joyayi,

This is a terrible problem in China.

I am lucky that I have a western face (far from handsome), so schools will offer a job to me much faster than probably to you.

I have fought (as diplomatically as possible) against this mentality on the part of school managers and students ever since I came to China three years ago. School leaders here believe that people with Asian faces are not as marketable when selling classes to the students. I think this is utter nonsense, and a great loss for the students and for qualified and dedicated teachers who happen not to have a Anglo or European-type face.

Yes, in America we value Filipino teachers for their knowledge, ability, and dedication.

Two weeks ago, I refused to teach a new class of students (for numerous reasons most of which I will not detail here). When I had a meeting with the education manager to discuss the situation, I explained that the students did not need a foreign teacher at this stage of their English development, and that they would be much better served by a Chinese teacher at this point.

She tried to explain to me that although the students could not speak or understand anything I said to them -- no matter how simply or how slowly I spoke -- they were demanding a foreign face in the class. This was a rather offensive statement to me as I take care and pride in my teaching. I told her that if that was indeed all the students required then she could simply hang a photo of me in the classroom. Mission accomplished.

#10 Parent Frank - 2006-07-15
In complete agreement witth you - Teachers Discussion

Yes, joyayi!

It is a very unfortunate and infuriating situation for many very qualified and passionate teachers. There's far too much concern about someone's appearance here, as a barometer for their effectiveness and value and "marketability" (for the school). I am lucky to have a typical (certainly not handsome) Western face. But I have been railing against this mentality that you speak of with school managers and students ever since I came here. The best education comes from diversity -- diversity of opinions, cultural background, experience, and appearance!

Yes, in America we value the strengths and perspectives of good Filipino teachers.

Recently, I refused to teach a new class of students for numerous reasons which I will not detail here (sorry!). I had a long talk with the education manager explaining to her that my services were not necessary at this point in the students' English-speaking development, and that they would be better served by a Chinese teacher at this point.

Her reply was that although the students couldn't speak at all and basically couldn't understand anything I said (despite how simple and slow I spoke) they were demanding a foreign face! I found this response rather offensive as I take pride in my work and strengths as a teacher. I suggested to her that if this was their only desire, then perhaps she should just hang a photo of me in the classroom. Mission accomplished!

joyayi - 2006-07-14
esl teachers (qualifications) - Teachers Discussion *Link*

I've been in China for over five months. i've heard alot about descrimination on filipinos as esl teachers.

alot of schools would decline my race since we are not native speakers of the Queen's tongue. i guess, we are being mislead with the perception of an ESL teacher basing on its primacie value, its advertising aspect.

if i'm not mistaken, PHILIPPINES is the 3rd or 4th LARGEST english speaking country in the WHOLE WORLD, not counting the fact that we really don't have that much english in our curriculum.

it's just sad to think that we are being descriminated by our own kins in ASIA. When infact in the USA more filipinos were taken as english teachers because the WHITES know how hardworking filipinos are and that we have a high literacy rate!

i guess, it's just time to open our eyes that being a native doesn't mean that u have to have that blue eyes and blond or brunette hair.

those so called native speakers are laughing at us!

it's time to wake up my chinese kins!!!!!!!!

Return to Index › esl teachers (qualifications) - Teachers Discussion *Link*

Go to another board -