TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › The new scam: Original documents
#1 Parent amused - 2016-03-24
Re The new scam: Original documents

That is likely the case. Unsurprisingly, even well intentioned recruiters for good schools in China lack the ability to distinguish between qualified and suspect candidates from overseas. I know of one university college with astonishing success at attracting competent FTs; they use an ex-teacher, now back in her home country to screen resumes and initiate Skype interviews.

I've been in China for over ten years and speak the language. But I cannot recognize Chinese citizens who are 'a little off', while my Chinese friends can spot them right away. FAOs have similar problems recognizing foreign candidates who are going to be trouble.

And yes, Chinese agency recruiters and many private schools could care less as long as their monkeys can dance.

#2 Parent John O'Shei - 2016-03-24

It won't improve the quality of Chinese HR/Recruitment staff either, will it?

#3 Parent amused - 2016-03-24

There are myriad tactics to breaking a contract when a foreign teacher finally arrives and is certifiably mad, in the throes of detox, or walks wrapped in the fragrance of San Miguel Pale Pilsen. Original documentation is only the latest ruse.

FAO departments often take a few weeks or months to recognize their defective new non-teacher. Private Schools are rather more efficient in recognizing that their new monkey cannot dance. Rather than being honest ("You are an alcoholic and are unable to read, write, and occasionally even to speak English. You're fired.") even good institutions choose to sweep the FT out of the province with some small-print contract language.

Remember that every 'bad hire' is a reflection on the FAO department's hiring process. I know of one university that 'warehoused' an FT for two semesters, giving him only two hours of teaching a week with a class of non-English majors who didn't understand a mumbled word. He was paid in full throughout the duration of the contract AND given a favorable release letter but, of course, denied a new contract. He was hired by a new university in Sichuan. When he showed up drunk at the airport to meet his new FAO assistant, he promptly fell down the airport escalator and was carried to the hospital. The school put him on a flight back to Chicago the next day. Another contract violation no doubt.

Remember, ultimately it is the students who suffer from these damaged FTs that shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

BUT....

Your suggestion to post schools where FTs have had good experiences is an excellent thought. It rarely happens primarily because it will likely immediately identify the poster.

It will, however, not act to improve the quality of the FTs that apply.

Gold Carol - 2016-03-24
The new scam: Original documents

Leave it to the Beijing government to give shady schools, recruiters, training centers, and shady principals a new tool for breaking contracts without compensation. Teachers that are not popular, young enough, or have worked long enough to be a marketing tool are then being released with the story of "The FEC and the Beijing government want original documents and they: either don't like what you have or want you to travel back to your country". Yes the Beijing government is requiring original docs but phony stories are also being used as you find out that the person handling the docs never did anything to begin with or just went through the motions. I wish my friends could find one of these "honest or high reputation schools" I see being mentioned on this board as rebuttal when someone reports an abuse. Let's get out the names of these high ranking schools so that others can apply for work there. I'm sure my friends PHD will suffice. Hmmmm

Return to Index › The new scam: Original documents

Go to another board -