TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › By the way Raoul - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent KJ - 2006-07-23
Re: Bravo - Teachers Discussion

Thanks for the kind words Frank. I also find it refreshing to be able to communicate with others, such as you and Raoul, without getting too caught up in the rhetoric and allowing the true meaning to get swept away. Furthermore, it's somehow comforting to know that there are a few people here whose backgrounds are not dissimilar to my own. I also appreciate that we can agree to some degree or another that the students are not the ones to blame for the sad state of this EFL in China business.

As somewhat of a digression I'd like to add that some years ago I wrote a paper about China wherein I stated that there would come a time in the not too distant future when China, due to demonstrated resilience and its push forward toward at least a semblance of modern civilization, would be a model for the rest of the world. Well, after three years of checking things out here I've had to revisit that somewhat naive expectation - or maybe it was just blind hope.

The most telling thing I've discovered is that the people of this country are so weighed down by corruption coupled with a misplaced respect (read "fear") for authority that it will take some almost godlike, mental chiropractics to get them to stand straight and tall. There is also an attitude of "if we can't beat 'em join 'em that results in the corruption that permeates the educational system.

Having said that though, I still have a certain degree of faith in the leadership of this country. Yeah, not a lot - but enough so that I can hope for a sea change in education brought about by a group or an individual who addresses the situation and brings about positive change before he or she or they give in to the temptations of power.

Actually, I believe that will happen because it is almost comical at this point how obvious is the corruption - especially in the world of EFL. Enough time has almost gone by now where nearly enough fed up teachers will have returned home and spread the word that it will become a face saving situation for the leaders to step up. In the past I've even posted warnings here to the recruiters that they better reap their profits quickly because their time will come - and, indeed their time WILL come.

But still, I take some comfort in the fact that I see positive change and improvement in a small percentage of the students I teach wherever I go. In fact, I just finished teaching a two week summer program where I had two classes. One of the classes had only nine students. Each of those students were bright, articulate and forward looking teenagers. I had many refreshing conversations with them wherein I learned that their awareness runs deep. I can hope, or at least fantasize, that they represent the future of this country. And I can say unabashedly and truthfully that I love them and love their kind, and that, who knows, maybe, just maybe, they will give some meaning to the future of this country.

And so I keep on keepin' on, and keep on wishing for justice in a somewhat injust world.

#2 Parent Frank - 2006-07-21
Bravo, brothers! - Teachers Discussion

I visit this forum so regularly these days, first because after reading so many of Raoul's astute postings, I wanted to be part of what was going here (Dave's ESL can be such a nasty place!).

And now KJ (or, the poster formerly known as...?) has joined us recently, and we are receiving an additional and substaintial measure of insight and intelligence -- and wit!

Thanks for shaking hands, as it were... I've learned much from you guys -- truly!

No matter where the rhetoric diverges, we all agree that students are central to everything we do here. They are the reason we came to China, the reason we press on, the reason we quarrel with school "leaders" (ha!), the reason we try to better ourselves!

Yes, yes, yes! As much as we feel frustrated and perhaps even victimized at times, we can always fight back and/or walk away.

What can they do except to keep turning the other cheek?

Bravo, brothers!

#3 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-20
Malice Toward None. (Or at least not many) - Teachers Discussion

Malice? Me? Mei-you.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on wanting to support and back up the students. They're why we do what we do, and I want them to get a fair shake just as much as you do.

The students here, in general, are getting screwed by the same people as us. Only maybe even worse.

#4 Parent KJ - 2006-07-20
yes Raoul - Teachers Discussion

I stand corrected, as the original quote was indeed "Methinks the lady doth protest too much." Or was it, "The lady doth protest too much methinks." Well, after 40 years of not studying Shakespeare, I think I can forgive myself for having a lapse of memory.
And I acknowledge your point about the real villians in this EFL in China business being not the teachers but the schools etc. However, I still contend that we the teachers can make a difference by demanding of ourselves and our profession a certain degree of excellence.
"Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie....."

Yet, again, I agree: The real villians are the aforementioned but I also want to reiterate my support for the students of this country, although, only a small percentage of them at this point can demonstrate any amount of true motivation or interest in learning English. Be that as it may, this is a big country and that small percentage amounts to hundreds of thousands.

Okay, sleep beckons and my brain doth fail me, but I think we can agree to disagree on some points and agree on others and can do so without malice.

#5 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-20
Wrong-O! - Teachers Discussion

It should actually be "Methinks thou doth protest too much." The original line from Shakespeare, adjusted for gender, is "The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks."

Anyway, I strongly disagree. Methinks I doth protest too little, given the horrific state of the situation. But I do all I have time for. And I will continue to do so.

KJ - 2006-07-18
By the way Raoul - Teachers Discussion

"Me thinks thee doth protest too much!"

Return to Index › By the way Raoul - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -