TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Scottish Public Pensions Agency/Citibank/BOC
#1 Parent Former FT in the PRC - 2016-04-10
Re Scottish Public Pensions Agency/Citibank/BOC

"Cameron's (Call me Dave) worries" may "bite him in the bum" much sooner if the June Referendum on EU membership produces an exit vote. In politics they say the real enemies are in your own party rather than the opposition per se. If the 'Leave ' campaigns,(there are several), are successful and the vote is for Brexit, I can't see him being Prime Minister for much longer. Then there's the possibility of Boris Johnson or any of the other Tories that also want Brexit, becoming leader.

An excellent analysis.

I just hope the vote on EU membership is on the issues rather than being used as an opportunity to remove Cameron. Scotland's referendum on the Union was a good example of extending the voting franchise to 16 year olds - after all, it is these young people who will spend their adult lives affected by the decision, whichever way it goes.

Agreed.

Do you remember the "Spitting Image" series on TV? I wish it could be updated. They would have a field day with the American presidential election stuff. I remember the sequence when Thatcher the Iron Lady and her Cabinet were about to start dinner. The waiter asks the Iron Lady (who is doing the ordering): " What about the vegetables?" Thatcher replies, " They'll have the same as me." Wonderful political satire and much needed in our dreary and depressing political landscape.

Yes, that was a great series. Yes, Minister was good too, but nowhere near as entertaining as Spitting Image was.

If you've paid the contributions to your State Pension over the years you really should claim it. The money saved by the government will only go into the pot for another Brimstone missile or drone rather than a primary school or social welfare. Funny how they choose names for these things like Brimstone and Hellfire - all Biblical references. If I was responsible for missile naming, I would go with something like Satanic Verses. But then the US is not much better. The invasion of Iraq was originally called " Operation Iraqi Liberation (I kid you not), until some bright spark noticed that the initials spelt OIL. Another example of poor research was when Currys (an electrical goods retailer in the UK), wanted a brand name for TVs and video recorders that would sound like a quality Japanese product (they were to be made in Malysia, I think) and settled on Matsui. The name is Japanese but is also the name of a Japanese war criminal.

Nope, I didn't pay any contributions for many a year. You see, I've been in China for years and years. Interesting stuff you've posted about names. I was watching a Premier League football match on Sky the other night. I noted that there was an ad during half time for secondary school teachers for England, 25 - 30 thousand pounds a year. Good pay, but a very very demanding job in my view. It was too demanding for me, so I packed it in. I guess recruitment must be slow.

Return to Index › Re Scottish Public Pensions Agency/Citibank/BOC

Go to another board -