TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Education in the UK
#1 Parent paul fox - 2016-04-15
Re Education in the UK

My grammar school was also an 'all-boys' school. It was only when I was in my final year that policies were changed and the school began admitting girls. I never really saw it as being a 'problem' though. I guess there are those who would say girls are a 'distraction' during the later years of high school though.
Still, I agree with you that accepting boys and girls is a good thing.

#2 Parent Former FT in the PRC - 2016-04-15
Re Education in the UK

Thanks for having posted about the 11 +. Pupils at that age who were academically inclined would have been able to pass it. However, I doubt that a score of 50% or marginally above 50% would have been high enough to earn for an exam taker one of the places on offer at a grammar school.

I note that the article did not inspire any of its readers to post a comment.

I never took the 11 + because I was educated at a fee-paying school for which I was accepted at the age of 10 for having scored highly in an entrance exam. That was my 11 + exam, as it were.

Almost all of my year group went on to study at university. Those were the days when there were relatively few British universities and there were no university tuition fees for students. The one thing that I detested about my fee-paying school was that it was only for boys. My late parents wouldn't listen to me. They paid for my education, so I had to accept the situation.

My fee-paying school was grant-aided by the government during my education there. These days the school fees have shot up to compensate for the abolition of governmental grant aid. And it now accepts girls as well as boys, a good thing in my view.

Return to Index › Re Education in the UK

Go to another board -