TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › what's in a name
#1 Parent paul fox - 2016-05-13
Re what's in a name

Oh, I'm sorry. I assumed that you knew Dr Wong is the creator, founder and CEO of New Oriental.

I was presenting no euphemism.

#2 Parent amused - 2016-05-12
Re what's in a name

I had dinner with Dr Wong this evening

Is that similar literary license to "I have to talk with a man about a dog", "My Aunt is visiting" or "Gone to Davey Jones' locker"?

I apologize for not being versed in English euphemisms.

I'd like to suggest two new ones, however:

Pardon me while I "drain my little Silverboy".

Sadly, that kid's "as smart as a PAUL fox".

#3 Parent paul fox - 2016-05-12
Re what's in a name

I had dinner with Dr Wong this evening and I passed on your comment.

'Oriental' is racist in the same way as 'German', Italian, Australian or even 'Westerner' etc, is 'racist'

Once it becomes racist to say 'A person from....', (the Orient, Germany, etc etc), it will be anyone's guess as to how people from various countries can be identified/classified.

Interestingly, I recently watched the American TV series 'House of Cards', and one particular episode depicted black people calling each other the 'N' word.

Apparently it's not considered 'racist' to refer to a person of the same race in a 'racist manner'.

I wonder if the American Senate actually ASKED people from 'The Orient' if they actually MIND being referred to as 'Oriental'?

I guess that's a rhetorical question, lol

amused - 2016-05-12
what's in a name

The U.S. Senate has banned use of the word "ORIENTAL" as racist. Somebody please tell New Oriental to improve their English.

Return to Index › what's in a name

Go to another board -