TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Faking relevance
#1 Parent amused - 2016-05-13
Re Faking relevance

Most English teachers (ESL included), are neither grammarians nor linguists.

Your lack of understanding of double negatives is obvious to any genuine English teacher reading your posts.
ESL teachers with genuine TESOL certification credentials must study grammar.
English teachers with genuine education credentials routinely teach grammar.
Both groups of teachers will understand the definition of and proper use of double negatives.
There is no linguistic debate about double negatives. One need not be a grammarian nor a linguist to understand this basic grammar point.
Your continued dialog is "caught in the cookie jar" obfuscation.

#2 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-05-13
Re Faking relevance

The convoluted responses of Fox and PhD are proof of your statement.
Fortunately, FTs in China are not responsible for teaching grammar.
Given their tortured struggle with double negatives, imagine the verbal discharge if they taught articles.
The horror.

I've never mentioned double-negatives myself beyond saying they are too much for me, so I certainly don't even bother with a slight effort in their direction, let alone a struggle.

I suppose Turnoi can seem convoluted sometimes but that's because he's a linguist, and linguists tend to be a bit fanatical about getting grammar and stuff right. So that's not a nasty criticism of him at all.

I like to intervene sometimes in basic Mandarin; the oral side of the language, and that's only to be helpful. Because if you say 'mei ge ren bu...you simply will not be understood by a Chinese; whereas you may be understood by a foreigner with a good knowledge of Mandarin; because he/she will make more allowances. Alas that won't help you much.

#3 Parent paul fox - 2016-05-13
I Wonder......

I wonder how many people here know that Amused is actually my ex-wife?

The truth is that we were blissfully happy for 25 years......and then we MET !

#4 Parent paul fox - 2016-05-13
Re Faking relevance

Given their tortured struggle with double negatives, imagine the verbal discharge if they
taught articles.

Most English teachers (ESL included), are neither grammarians nor linguists. The Doc gave an explanation as to what constitutes a double-negative using her linguistic knowledge and training.

For the rest of us the explanation is much simpler:-

A double negative is usually produced by combining the negative form of a verb (e.g., cannot, did not, have not) with a negative pronoun (e.g., nothing, nobody), a negative adverb (e.g., never, hardly) or a negative conjunction (e.g., neither/nor).

Whilst this many not be STRICTLY true from the viewpoint of a linguist, the fact remains that it is CONSIDERED to be true by teachers of English.

Therefore, using the more 'common' definition, 'She's not unattractive' is considered to be an example of a double negative.

#5 Parent amused - 2016-05-12
Re Faking relevance

The average FT doesn't have the proper qualifications to teach ESL. Things like "what
is a double negative" forms certainly a part of such training.

The convoluted responses of Fox and PhD are proof of your statement.
Fortunately, FTs in China are not responsible for teaching grammar.
Given their tortured struggle with double negatives, imagine the verbal discharge if they taught articles.
The horror.

Return to Index › Re Faking relevance

Go to another board -