TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Beware Beijing International Studies University - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent wendy - 2007-11-20
Re: Beware of Beijing Int. Studies Univ. - Teacher

let me clear at least one thing here:
BISU = Beiwai, not Erwai
Erwai = Beijing Second Foreign Languages Institute

are you sure you are talking about Erwai which is in Dingfuzhuang, Chaoyang District, or BISU which is in Weigongcun, Haidian?

#2 Parent wendy - 2007-11-20
Re: Beware Beijing International Studies Universit

oooops i made a mistake...u WERE talking about the same thing...well i had a good time there, so, really sorry to hear ur story like that.

#3 Parent Alexander Henry - 2007-03-31
Beware Ewai,response to Laughable's! post - Teachers Discussion

In my previous post on this thread I implied that Tommy treats foreign teachers in China well because he has been to the States.
I'd better clarify my statement.Unlike other English-speaking Chinese who have not visited any developed countries whose first language is English,Tommy and the like have experienced Western customs and culture,which makes them ideal candidates for dealing with foreigners in China.That is because such Chinese have learned more about Western culture and customs than those who've never left the Chinese mainland.
I happen to agree with you that George W is no saint!

#4 Parent Laughable ! - 2007-03-30
Tommy the nice guy - Teachers Discussion

I do not for one moment doubt that 'Tommy' is a nice guy , but what sort of recomendation is this ?
"he's been to the States for 6 months".

Now that statement gave me a laugh !!

George W. has been there for a hell of a lot longer than that, so I suppose that puts him in the category of 'Saint'.

#5 Parent Alexander Henry - 2007-03-29
Beware of Beijing Int. Studies Univ. - Teachers Discussion

I've been reading the negative comments from teachers previously by Erwai.
I must say I'm surprised!
I feel I should add my experiences,having taught on that university's behalf at a middle school in Hegang.

The Erwai staff seconded to Hegang were professional and respectful at all times when working or dealing with me.
In fact,I cannot say I had any trouble there at all.

The overseer,Tommy,who was also an interpreter whenever I taught class,treats foreigners well;he has been to the States for six months!

#6 Parent ex-teacher in China - 2006-08-02
still dodgy as ever... - Teachers Discussion

The original post in this thread (http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=9722) was posted by me. I'm a little surprised, coming back to it, to hear such good feedback. I guess it really depends where you go. I did note another thread on Erwai, BISU, whatever you wish to call it, warning other potential teachers from going there, so I think it's a mixed bag all round.

I lasted there for 5.5 months, during my time I saw around 4 other foreign teachers come and go (often in dubious circumstances). My wages were never paid on time, and often had to be argued over as they kept trying to deduct money. They tried getting rid of me once already, but were forced to reinstate me after the students in my classes asked the school to bring me back. I was eventually fired (still no reason why) when the kids were on holiday. Threatened with physical violence, evicted from my appartment and not paid for my last month's work.

The teacher who was hired to replace me lasted around 6 weeks, after suffering similar problems he jacked it all in. Then, to top it all off, the school called me and asked me to go back (!) and teach for them in another location, outside of Beijing. They assured me they'd pay me upfront. I happily declined.

#7 Parent Ajarn - 2006-08-01
Hmmm! - Teachers Discussion

Hmmm! I have no first-hand information about Erwai but the fact that they had a 17 year old (Chinese language?) student teach (English?) indicates to me that the school is opportunistic, unethical, unprofessional, and not at all concerned with the laws of China, i.e. Misha obviously did not have a Z visa / Foreign Residents Permit / Foreign Experts Certificate / Bachelor Degree / TEFL Certification / experience as a Teacher of English as a Foreign Language.

#8 Parent Misha - 2006-08-01
Erwai - The Continuing Studies Department - Teachers Discussion

Suprised, too, to hear about the poor standards at Erwai. I studied there for two semesters in 2004, and taught conversation at the Continuing Studies Department for my time there.

Perhaps my situation was different, since I was already living there and was just "helping out" (--- I never had, or needed ?, a contract), but the pay was always on time and the staff were always firnnedly. My classes weren't moved on me... a couple of students switched classes but that was no stress.

I must admit, as a 17 year old teaching for the first time, some assistance with lesson plans would have been nice! But I managed to survive, and they made good progress just with the things I was able to prepare the day before...!

#9 Parent Libby - 2006-05-10
Erwai - Teachers Discussion

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with Beijing International Studies University or Erwai. I taught in the Continuing Department there in 2003 and never had any problems. I was given a very nice warm apartment which was cleaned for me and my classes were delightful to teach - the students were not moved around and my timetable stayed the same.
With regard to my salary, it was always on time and all other aspects of my contract were professional and adhered to. In fact, when I asked to break my contract owing to the SARS outbreak they were all very understanding. I found all the students and staff very helpful and friendly, and I think the department handling the foreign experts was often very busy.I'm not sure what the university is like now but I think in starting any job we need to go in with a positive expectation.

teacher in china - 2006-03-15
Beware Beijing International Studies University - Teachers discussion

A word of warnign for anyone considering applying for a job as a teacher at Beijing International Studies University or BISU. They are known in Beijing as Erwai.

Despite being a large, well-known University in the capital, they have a poor track record when it comes to the treatment of foreign teachers.

Teachers are fired at a moment's notice, and are not given reasons.

They do not give you the appropriate visas.

They won't sign or stamp the contracts they sign.

They do not pay the teachers on time, and never pay the correct amount.

The working conditions are dreadful: no lesson guidance, no timetables, moving students without telling teachers, cancelling/adding classes at a moment's notice and several times per week.

They do not pay travel allowances.

They do not adhere to their own contracts even when signed.

They have threatened other teachers: with the police and with deportation when teachers have tried to stand up for their rights.

They really are a very very dodgy company indeed. AVOID at all costs.

Return to Index › Beware Beijing International Studies University - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -