TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Excellent NYT article by Thomas Edsall "The anti-P.C. Vote" about "reactance" that explains loyalty to Trump
#1 Parent Curious - 2016-06-02
Re: Re Excellent NYT article by Thomas Edsall "The anti-P.C. Vote" about "reactance" that explains loyalty to Trump

You read too fast, you completely missed the meaning of the article. Please read again, slowly.

#2 Parent Plentor - 2016-06-02
Re Excellent NYT article by Thomas Edsall "The anti-P.C. Vote" about "reactance" that explains loyalty to Trump

Rubbish, Trump doesn't restore any autonomy. He takes it away - like in the case of the agricultural area near Aberdeen in Scotland where his company had stolen land from local people.
Who really needs an economically aggreesive asshole like him in power?

Trump can “restore their autonomy.”
Curious - 2016-06-02
Excellent NYT article by Thomas Edsall "The anti-P.C. Vote" about "reactance" that explains loyalty to Trump

I declare that I am - personally - satisfied by the following explanation of why Trump's supporters don't care what he says or how he says it or how many times a day he changes his mind, or if it makes any sense at all. I don't have to try to understand any longer, I am free. And I am laughing at the face of Silverboy - an unconditional Trump supporter - when he reads "many Trump followers respond to Clinton in a fashion similar to that of 8th grade boys reacting to their homeroom teacher." That's Silverboy.

Trump’s anger at being policed or fenced in apparently speaks to the resentment of many American men and their resistance to being instructed, particularly by a female candidate, on how they should think, speak or behave.

Jesse Graham, a professor of psychology at the University of Southern California, suggested that the fact that Clinton is a woman plays a role in this dynamic, noting that many Trump followers respond to Clinton in a fashion similar to that of "8th grade boys reacting to their homeroom teacher. But I think this has more to do with her gender than with any particular behaviors on her part — in other words, there are some who would respond to any woman running for president as an 8th grader in homeroom who resents the teacher."

Simon Hedlin, a public policy researcher, noted that "since reactance is driven by perceptions rather than by facts, this works well in Trump’s favor, considering his often cavalier relationship with the truth."

Perhaps more significantly, Hedlin noted that he and Cass Sunstein, a Harvard Law professor and former top aide in the Obama administration, conducted research that shows that some people will reject a policy or action that is to their advantage when they feel pushed or forced into making the “correct” decision.

In other words, reactance can foster a totalizing loyalty that does not respond to reasoned fault finding. This might help explain Trump’s seeming immunity to criticism from his adversaries. His followers feel that they have experienced a “diminution of freedom” and believe that Trump can “restore their autonomy.”

Return to Index › Excellent NYT article by Thomas Edsall "The anti-P.C. Vote" about "reactance" that explains loyalty to Trump

Go to another board -