TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Gotta Luv Da Deecher
#1 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-06
Re Gotta Luv Da Deecher

My anger erupts again when the FT chooses to criticize China, its people, institutions, laws,
and culture from the vantage point of his immeasurable ignorance.

Finally....something we agree on!! (hehe)

#2 Parent GuangzhouWorldaScam - 2016-06-05
Re Gotta Luv Da Deecher

I've lived all over North America and spent time with people from all over the world, so can usually place accents myself.

I don't think the schools ever intended to fool the other foreign teachers by having non-natives posing as natives (they were actually told not to mention it to us), but they definitely intended to fool the students and their parents. Another ridiculous practice that seems all too common.

#3 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-05
Re Gotta Luv Da Deecher

I don't know which country you are from, but I am from England. Most native English people are well accustomed to the various accents from around Britain and can usually tell quite quickly where a person is from.

We can also tell the difference between an American and Canadian accent. However, a Russian accent may sound the same whether they are from Moscow or the Ukraine, but a boss telling a FT to pretend they are from another country is useless if that boss also employs Englanders.

#4 Parent GuangzhouWorldaScam - 2016-06-05
Re Gotta Luv Da Deecher

I've had a few of these conversations with students over the years as well. They can't understand XYZ because of his or her accent. I could empathize with them as I struggled to understand some of the thick accents myself. I've also encountered teachers being told by their school to lie about where they come from (Africans to say they are Americans and Russians to say they are Canadians, etc.).

#5 Parent amused - 2016-06-05
Re Gotta Luv Da Deecher

I have compassion for the students and their parents.

I have anger for the school owner who victimizes everyone involved in the process, students parents teachers and FTs.

Most of the inane unqualified FTs that I have meant are not aware of their own lack of teaching ability and have little or no understanding of China.

My anger erupts again when the FT chooses to criticize China, its people, institutions, laws, and culture from the vantage point of his immeasurable ignorance.

Know thyself.

#6 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-04
Re Gotta Luv Da Deecher

The other interesting point is the word is used arbitrarily to describe teachers who
work for outfits that are disliked with little evidence that a given teacher is really
bad.

That's a good point!

However, in the case I am talking about, it would only be MY opinion as to whether I said he was a bad 'deecher' or not.

It's a TC, so no lesson-planning is required - just pick up the lesson and teach/deech it!

I am NES who has worked for many years alongside S.A people. I can hardly understand a word this guy says!

The students have to cope with British accents, Canadian accents and USA accents - that's hard enough - so when someone comes along whose Canadian, Australian and American colleagues can't understand, what hope do the kids have?

#7 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-04
Re Gotta Luv Da Deecher

It's no secret that 'deechers' get a good old bashing on this forum - especially from Turnoi - but is there REALLY any point to it?

Sort of curious and contradictory that a made up slang word is used to describe bad teachers. The other interesting point is the word is used arbitrarily to describe teachers who work for outfits that are disliked with little evidence that a given teacher is really bad.

paul fox - 2016-06-03
Gotta Luv Da Deecher

This little story should brighten the day of the good Doc (and a few others).

It's no secret that 'deechers' get a good old bashing on this forum - especially from Turnoi - but is there REALLY any point to it?

Last night I was trying to have a conversation with the deecher I have been working alongside for the last couple of months.

Whilst trying to comprehend the incomprehensible (thick South African drawl), I managed to pick up on the following points.

He has a degree (I don't believe him)
He has TESOL (I don't believe him)
He is here to play and enjoy himself (I believe him)
He cares about the students (I don't believe him)
He cannot get a job back home (I believe him)
Who else will pay him 12000 per month for dancing in front of a few students? (I believe him)

In short, this guy just blatantly doesn't give a flying f*ck.

Obviously the TC owner doesn't either. They are just collecting the funds towards their villa in the Bahamas and feeling quite happy that they have a white-faced-monkey who they laughingly call a 'teacher'.

This guy has absolutely no shame. His attitude is simply this - as long as the Chinese authorities give him a z visa and a work-permit, the system can go to hell!

I would be extremely surprised to find out that this guy is alone when it comes to attitude, and if Turnoi and others think they can 'shame' these idiots, then all I can say is 'Good Luck!' - but from what I saw last night - you are wasting your time even trying!

Return to Index › Gotta Luv Da Deecher

Go to another board -