TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Who is a Deecher?
#1 Parent amused - 2016-06-05
Re Who is a Deecher?

What you say is true. But that is not my point.

I've also taught a variety of courses in China, including European Culture in a 15 week, 2 hour, course for non-English majors. Poor kids.

But whatever the FT teaches, his students continue to receive parallel, and often conflicting, English lectures from Chinese teachers.

Integrated language learning requires a coordination of student input. How many foreign teachers can attend a 外语 department meeting with Chinese teachers and participate in an attempt to integrate their student lesson content? I've taught at 5 universities and attended a few of these meetings, talk about the elephant in the room.

I've also supervised Bachelor theses. Since the majority of English major theses in Chinese Universities are bought or borrowed from the internet, something a FT with a VPN can quickly establish... this did not end well for anyone. That University no longer welcomes FTs as thesis advisors. Chinese English teachers support the delusion that all English majors can write a thesis, when routinely they themselves cannot.

Chinese industrial innovation and development is extraordinary. It's university education system lags far far behind.

In my humble opinion, this is because administrators of various types, 辅导员, party officials, and just plain clerks with 关系 have more power than teachers in the university system. And college students are considered high school kids with hormones, in need of constant 'in loco parentis' supervision.

Philosophically, Chinese believe in the institutional ability and obligation to 'mold the man' into a productive citizen. They do not consider a university education an opportunity for the individual student to answer life's two basic questions: Who am I? How should I live?

Return to Index › Re Who is a Deecher?

Go to another board -