TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › "only Oral teaching"
#1 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-08
Re "only Oral teaching"

Pronunciation is unimportant and you DO NOT know how to teach it.

This surely should be given an award as the most illogical statement of the year. Why should he know how to teach it if it's unimportant?

The teachers who say pronunciation is unimportant in my experience have God Awful accents. It doesn't matter how many words you know or how much grammar you understand, if you can't pronounce clearly you have no business teaching English. This goes for both native and non-native English teachers.

English teacher who can't speak clearly should be tarred and brushed and thrown out of China.

#2 Parent Silver Star - 2016-06-08
Re "only oral teaching"

I remember back in a previous lifetime when I was standing at a bus-stop in England. A car drew up and the Australian driver said ''Scuse me mate, how do I get to looga beroo?'

After a lot of repeating and head-scratching, I finally asked him to write it down. 'Loughborough' was where he wanted to go - and Loughborough is pronounced 'Luff Burra'.

Pronunciation may not be the 'bee-all-and-end-all', but it's certainly not unimportant.

Of course pronunciation is important, especially during one's teaching. A Chinese teacher of physics whose reading comprehension was good, but whose oral and listening were abysmal, once asked me if I had read 'Janner'. I knew not what he was referring to, until after thinking again about it, I had a moment of inspiration, and came up with 'Jane Eyre'. I was right, and felt proud of myself for having solved the problem.

Turnoi says we should all obey China's visa regulations. One of them specifies countries from which job applicants should apply, which are all native-speaking English countries. The reasons for that visa regulation are obvious. But even then, a job applicant's fluency and pronunciation need checking in my opinion.

Another point I feel I should make - I have notuced in the 'resumes section' of the board most jobseekers claim to have TESOL/TEFL qualifications. However, some of their resumes/introductions are basically dismal in sentence construction, spelling and grammar. I'm sure they can't all be in possession of false credentials, or are bare-faced liars. It seems to me that some such qualifications are awarded to low quality English language users. That is a a disgrace!

#3 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-07
Re "only Oral teaching"

Pronunciation is unimportant

That's a 'sweeping statement' that is only half true (in my opinion).

Standing in front of a class with a list of words and doing the 'repeat after me' is a complete waste of time, but to say that pronunciation is not important is folly.

I am required to teach reading to grade 11 students. Standing in front of the class, book in hand, and trying to read-together was something I gave up after the first lesson.

Instead, I chose to sit with each student individually and have them read to me. That way I could easily assess their reading skills and pronunciation ability. It also allowed me to spend more time with the weaker students.

Even in grade 11 I was surprised to hear 'tiny' pronounced as 'teeny'; 'siren' pronounced as 'seeren'; and even 'nation' pronounced as 'natt ee un'.

I remember back in a previous lifetime when I was standing at a bus-stop in England. A car drew up and the Australian driver said ''Scuse me mate, how do I get to looga beroo?'

After a lot of repeating and head-scratching, I finally asked him to write it down. 'Loughborough' was where he wanted to go - and Loughborough is pronounced 'Luff Burra'.

Pronunciation may not be the 'bee-all-and-end-all', but it's certainly not unimportant.

#4 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-07
Re "only Oral teaching"

Glottal stops are rare in British English. The only instances I can think of can be found in what we call 'cockney' English.

#5 Parent amused - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

Oral English teachers, as Turnoi has told you, only exist in China and have been here in significant numbers for at least two decades.

Anyone who has been in China more than a week can evaluate the quality of spoken English in China.

It would be an interesting discussion as to whether the presence of these oral-only FTs has been, in sum, positive or negative.

My point of view is that the contribution, while negligible, is offset by the damage it has done to the comprehensive language ability of the existing Chinese English teachers, who have been able to avoid addressing the issue of their own limited oral language ability with the presence of FTs.

FTs have been enablers. Patches applied to a language training system that fails to adequately integrated oral language skills.

#6 Parent amused - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

I've observed that the weakest FTs focus on pronunciation in their classrooms.

I suspect this is because their students already understand English grammar better than the FT. A perusal of this board will give you a general idea of FT writing skills. And most FTs are in love with the sound of their own voice.

As unimportant as pronunciation is, the teaching of pronunciation requires an understanding of the physiology of sound creation and an intimate knowledge of IPA characters; both of these skills are not in the skillset of most FTs. Explaining sound creation physiology to students is best done in their native language. Discussing glottal stops with students in English is futile.

For the FT who has no idea about the meaning of the above:

Pronunciation is unimportant and you DO NOT know how to teach it.

Dance. Drone your PPTS.

#7 Parent amused - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

Pronunciation is the most unimportant 'skill'.

Ride the subway in New York and London. Walk the streets of Ottawa and Sydney. Eat drink in Dublin.

Language is a tool. Spoken English language is a tapestry of sounds.

Chinese students waste countless hours trying to sound like someone from Monty Python.

#8 Parent Silver Star - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

One simply needs to visit any Chinese university and sit down with a few random members of the graduating class of English majors.

They cannot speak English.

Perhaps twenty percent of the class can hold a conversation. Perhaps five percent of the class speak well.

Bringing thousands of foreign 'teachers' to China to 'teach' English during the past two decades has been a marvelous business venture but an educational fiasco.

What you don't know is how woeful the statistics would be without native speakers of English teaching such students. However, what we can say, generally speaking, is that non-native speakers of English, such as Turnoi, are no better than the Chinese teachers of English as far as the teaching of oral English is concerned. I disagree with your assessment of the effect of bringing foreign "teachers" to China being an educational fiasco! What you don't know and didn't mention is the positive influence of oral teaching by FTs at high schools on pupils who later enter higher education as non-English majors. Some such students can speak better English than English majors!

#9 Parent Silver Star - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

Pronunciation is everything, it's all important. A grease-monkey mechanic with good pronunciation would be worth ten degree teachers with bad pronunciation. That said we don't know that Turnoi has bad pronunciation do we? I imagine by looking at his writing and knowing something of his credentials he's word-perfect.

Yes, pronunciation is everything, it's all-important in the classroom.

I did say Turnoi's pronunciation was PROBABLY not up to scratch as he's a non-native English speaker. Re his writing, I can't agree with you - he makes the kind of mistakes that are typically made by speakers of English from non-English speaking countries. Re his credentials, I'm not sure if they're above board as I haven't personally checked them out.

#10 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

There are exceptions to every rule and since I don't know what Turnoi's native tongue is, I would have to guess that Turnoi would speak a second language with some kind of accent that reflects his first language - in much the same way as a Chinese English-speaker would speak English with a Chinese accent.

When I fist came to China back in 2008, I met a Chinese man who spoke perfect English, but with an American accent. When I asked him how long he had lived in America, he told me he had never even been there. He had two American English teachers who had spent heaps of time helping his pronunciation, thus the accent.

Pronunciation is NOT everything. It is extremely important, but then again so are the other 3 facets of language learning.

Your comment -

A grease-monkey mechanic with good
pronunciation would be worth ten degree teachers with bad pronunciation.
does hold water, but unless that grease-monkey knows his way around English grammar................?

Turnoi is a 'one-off'. I think most of us agree that his standards are exceptionally high and he deserves respect for what he has achieved. But sadly for Turnoi, many of us do not share his love of linguistics and therefore occasionally have to tolerate his public outbursts.

#11 Parent amused - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

You are not qualified to denigrate oral English teaching.

Using FTs to teach oral English teaching in China is like teaching piano for the left hand and only the white keys.

It doesn't work.

One simply needs to visit any Chinese university and sit down with a few random members of the graduating class of English majors.

They cannot speak English.

Perhaps twenty percent of the class can hold a conversation. Perhaps five percent of the class speak well.

Bringing thousands of foreign 'teachers' to China to 'teach' English during the past two decades has been a marvelous business venture but an educational fiasco.

#12 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching"

Of course, you as a non-native English speaker probably have poor pronunciation of English, just like most Chinese teachers of English. That aside, you do not have full cultural awareness of any country whose first language is English. You are not required by Chinese employers to teach oral English. You are not qualified to denigrate oral English teaching. Many Chinese jobs for FTs exist for native speakers of English. Even if a foreigner is a native speaker of English, that doesn't necessarily mean he/she will be a good teacher - that will depend on how good his/her pronunciation is as well as his/her teaching skills and classroom management. You don't half post a lot of tripe on this board.

Pronunciation is everything, it's all important. A grease-monkey mechanic with good pronunciation would be worth ten degree teachers with bad pronunciation. That said we don't know that Turnoi has bad pronunciation do we? I imagine by looking at his writing and knowing something of his credentials he's word-perfect.

#13 Parent Silver Star - 2016-06-05
"only Oral teaching"

I highly disagree in the case of the AMUSED poster. That poster stated himself that h/she is qualified to teach "integrated English courses", and that's certainly more demanding and higher quality level work than "only Oral teaching".

Of course, you as a non-native English speaker probably have poor pronunciation of English, just like most Chinese teachers of English. That aside, you do not have full cultural awareness of any country whose first language is English. You are not required by Chinese employers to teach oral English. You are not qualified to denigrate oral English teaching. Many Chinese jobs for FTs exist for native speakers of English. Even if a foreigner is a native speaker of English, that doesn't necessarily mean he/she will be a good teacher - that will depend on how good his/her pronunciation is as well as his/her teaching skills and classroom management. You don't half post a lot of tripe on this board.

Return to Index › "only Oral teaching"

Go to another board -