TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training?
#1 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-06
Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training?

I always use 'wise of you' and would advise my students of MY reason for that choice.

Chinese students seek rules and the comfort of 'correct' answers, but Life, and grammar, do
not always comply.

I would also choose 'wise of you' for similar reasons. However, I probably should have mentioned that the question was raised because the classroom textbook cited 'wise for you', and the Chinese English teacher wanted clarification.

The best explanation I could think of on-the-spot, as it were, was this -

'It looks like rain. It would be wise of you to take an umbrella.' = Leaning more towards - If you take an umbrella, you are clever!

'It looks like rain. It would be wise for you to take an umbrella.' = Leaning more towards making a suggestion / giving advice.

'Wise of you' would always be my preferred choice of usage, but 'wise for you' is not necessarily wrong!

As you correctly point out, what is spoken in English often differs greatly from what is written.

#2 Parent amused - 2016-06-06

Usage is often not the best yardstick. Shit not only happens, it permeates our common spoken language.

Language always expresses meaning. Consider the meaning.

Wisdom is part of a person's intellectual makeup. It is 'of' the person.

Wisdom cannot be given to someone; this wisdom is not 'for' you it is 'for' my Aunt Clara.

I always use 'wise of you' and would advise my students of MY reason for that choice.

Chinese students seek rules and the comfort of 'correct' answers, but Life, and grammar, do not always comply.

In this rare instance, it would be wise of you to seize the moment where grammar is a 'teaching opportunity' about life.

#3 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-06

Talking of grammar....

Sometimes the pragmatic way in which English is taught by Chinese teachers can be so frustrating.

They NEED a 'rule', even when there isn't one!

Today I was asked - 'Is it wise FOR you....or wise OF you...?'

I explained that both are often correct and it doesn't really matter, (especially when you apply the 100-year rule), but that wasn't good enough for her.

Common usage plays a huge factor too, but that also wasn't good enough.

In the end I said -

'It would be wise for you to think about where you want to travel this summer before airline fares increase.'

'It was wise of you to choose Thailand as your destination.'

Therefore giving examples using different tenses. Still not good enough because there was no 'rule'.

In both cases, the 'for' and 'of' are interchangeable. There's also no need for you to explain. I know there is a teeny-weeny, nano-sized difference in meaning, but in reality, does it matter? - and in 100 years, will anyone care?

Return to Index › Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training?

Go to another board -