TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Bragging Fake Jack Ma Alibaba a Criminal
#1 Parent Caring - 2016-06-16
Re Bragging Fake Jack Ma Alibaba a Criminal

People look for bargains and I see your point clearly. Yet, I can't accept a pimp of copycats who's got shareholders waxing his arse. His cheap whores have spread diseases and polluted the environment beyond our imagination. The sleaze is talking for he has a motive to build bridges with his folks and government that he needs to expand his empire. Having purchased some local media outlets, he has the opportunity to advertise and further his agenda too. If he isn't stopped, at least in the US, we'll have an infestation of such proportions that we'll never be able to clean it up.

#2 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-15

People, who buy conterfeit products knowingly, may not regret their purchases as much as the
ones who are deceived.

Fair comment. If a fake product is being sold as a genuine one, then the person responsible should be shot!

I guess it comes
down to which attitudes should be encouraged and which ones suppressed. But, yes, we
could leave it up to the future "Jack Ma Copycats" to decide and let the
global economy roll.

It's the 'attitude issue' that I disagree on. Let me explain why.

I used to have a little hobby-business. Customers would come to me with a particular product that they were buying on the local market and ask me to find them the same product, only cheaper.

Here's a simple example.

Fred owns a restaurant supply business. He sells around 10,000 sets of knives and forks per year, and he is buying these from his supplier for $5 per set.

Fred employs me to find the same sets, cheaper. So I later present Fred with 2 'copy' sets of knives and forks. One set is $1, the other is $3.

Now even by Chinese standards, there is a huge difference in quality between these 2 samples, but guess which one Fred wants to buy?

Despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise, Fred insists on the $1 set because he is greedy. He cannot see the sense in saving $20,000 per year by buying the $3 product, when he can save $40,000 per year by buying the $1 product.

So Fred places an order for 10,000 sets. Six months down the track and Fred is on the phone calling me allsorts. His customers are complaining that these knives and forks are rubbish. They melt in the dishwasher and are becoming discoloured and tainted. But Fred blames anyone but himself.

Fred then has the attitude that everything coming out of China is cheap rubbish and should be avoided. Had Fred bought the $3 product, then he would more than likely still be doing so today.

Steve owned a tile warehouse. He was looking for some nice-looking porcelain tiles and asked for my assistance. When he realised what my fee was, he decided to save even more money and find them himself.

He contacted a Chinese factory and they sent him some samples. He was overjoyed and immediately placed an order for a 20-foot container of these wonderful tiles, at a cost of $30,000.

One day, while he was sitting in his office musing about how much money he had saved by doing everything himself instead of using my help, one of his installers came in with a terrible red rash on his lower arms. The installer had just finished laying a nice new floor of these wonderful porcelain tiles.

To cut a long story short, Steve's tiles contained asbestos. Illegal in Australia. The installer had suffered some kind of skin reaction to the asbestos when cutting and grinding the tiles.

So not only did Steve have to throw away his complete stock of tiles, he had to pay a small fortune for their disposal. My fee would have been nothing short of pennies by comparison. Steve has now joined the 'Chinese products are rubbish club'.

Whilst these 2 examples do not necessarily highlight the point you are making with regard to fake copies of well-known labels and brands, as long as there are people like Fred and Steve, Chinese factories are always going to be manufacturing fake goods - with or without Jack Ma.

The 'need-for-greed' is rife in thousands of industries across the globe. China is simply supplying a demand. We know it, the world knows it, Jack Ma has the balls to publicly say it.

Another driving force is peer-pressure. Apart from identification, another reason for school uniforms is so the poor-little-rich-kids cannot intimidate others by wearing the latest Armani suit to school. So they flash their wealth in other ways. Expensive golden training shoes and the latest I-phone for example.

What can an I-phone do that a Samsung or Huawei can't? (Siri question perhaps?). What makes an I-phone actually worth so much more than equally user-friendly phones that come without the ridiculous Apple price-tag? Nothing!

So why does it seem like 99% of students use an I-phone? Rhetorical question, right?

I have many grade 11 students, (or senior 2 if you prefer), who don't bring their phone to school any more for fear of being branded a leper, because their parents can't afford, (or won't buy them), an I-phone.

One final point. When a doctor in Australia prescribes medicine of some kind and we go to the pharmacy to buy it, the law states that where possible, the pharmacist must offer a cheaper alternative to the leading, or prescribed, brand. The alternative may not be a copy as such, because it is not sold as something dressed up the same as the leading brand, but nevertheless it plants a 'seed' in our minds that less expensive products save money whilst doing the same job.

#3 Parent Caring - 2016-06-15

So, it's about the 10 bucks vs hundreds of millions in investments on public offering (In Your Back Yard). The 10 bucks truly add up to the hundreds of millions, and then they literally multiply through legal means. Really, this isn't a copycat but a promoter of all copycats. Using the public money, he does it through our channels.

People, who buy conterfeit products knowingly, may not regret their purchases as much as the ones who are deceived. Then, folks that want to make a quick return on their investments aren't the ones that believe in the stock market, laws or the economy. I guess it comes down to which attitudes should be encouraged and which ones suppressed. But, yes, we could leave it up to the future "Jack Ma Copycats" to decide and let the global economy roll.

Often it's the 'NIMBY' attitude that prevails, (Not In My Back Yard). In other words, we complain about it when it suits us, but are happy to save a few quid by buying fakes ourselves.

The world trade, international and domestic businesses are truly done to profit, to provide opportunities and keep domestic GDPs growing. All industries can benefit and so may the consumers. However this all seems great, the fact that some individual businesses may cross the line has hugely been overlooked in recent years. When China entered WTO and agreed on the rules of engagement, many entrepreneurs believed in the deals put forward. Thus, Chinese workers were prepared to produce goods and services they had not known about. The whole nation took advantage of the situation as facilities/machinery were abused to overproduce substandard merchandise, parts to assemble products were exchanged for poor local items, cheap labor force was used and local officials were corrupted in the process. The scale, at which the fake local industries took off, overwhelmed foreign entities and left them at a point of no return.

Perhaps many of those western manufacturers have profitted from their deals with China and maintained the overall image for their Chinese branches devided the production lines into the ones for export and for import. This has meant that the poorly produced pair of nike shoes with fake rubber/laces would stay home for local customers that do not, and cannot, complain. Moreover, this has provided the decentralized foreign enterprises with easy revenues that they needed to convince their shareholders with. What they may not have predicted is the level of disregard for foreign intellectual property rights that lead all the way to the highest office in the country and the local competition that would not only use their technology but also their actual material they've brought in.

Workers are trained well and soon become skilled in making products for these western 'manufacturers'. So isn't it almost natural to expect these same people to end up making copies? After all, they are using the same materials and the same processes as with the originals, so I guess the only way they can be called 'fake' is because they don't have the endorsement of the original company.

I don't know about you, but I used to have hundreds of 'copy' dvd's that I would regularly stock up on when I visited certain countries on annual holidays.

#4 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-15

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. Hundreds, if not thousands, of western companies have set up factories in China in order to take advantage of the cheaper workforce etc.

Workers are trained well and soon become skilled in making products for these western 'manufacturers'. So isn't it almost natural to expect these same people to end up making copies? After all, they are using the same materials and the same processes as with the originals, so I guess the only way they can be called 'fake' is because they don't have the endorsement of the original company.

I don't know about you, but I used to have hundreds of 'copy' dvd's that I would regularly stock up on when I visited certain countries on annual holidays.

In fact, I even used to take an empty suitcase with me so that I could fill it up with all kinds of clothes etc - all 'fakes' - but I wasn't complaining. The money I would save, compared to buying originals, was probably enough to cover the cost of my holiday.

Often it's the 'NIMBY' attitude that prevails, (Not In My Back Yard). In other words, we complain about it when it suits us, but are happy to save a few quid by buying fakes ourselves.

It is what it is, I guess.

#5 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-15

I didn't read the article before I responded to your comment.

#6 Parent caring - 2016-06-15

Taking the product of the public offering sends a message regardless who the shareholders are.

I wrote:
Making the fortune out of offering forged goods and then boasting about it ought to be enough to delist the thug from foreign stock markets.
You replied:
Who are the share holders of Alibaba, all Chinese? Do you want them arrested 2.
#7 Parent caring - 2016-06-15

When a public company breaks laws and its owner admits it, it isn't about ethics only. So, do you really think that breaking laws at the stock market levels is for the consumer confidence and satisfaction?

I wrote:
Making the fortune out of offering forged goods and then boasting about it ought to be enough to delist the thug from foreign stock markets.

You replied:
I don't see your problem. Jack Ma is just a businessman who provided a forum for businesses to sell their wares, fake or not. Are you talking about ethics here or what? Why would Jack care if people sold fake goods or not

#8 Parent guest - 2016-06-14

Who are the share holders of Alibaba, all Chinese? Do you want them arrested 2.

#9 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-14

Making the fortune out of offering forged goods and then boasting about it ought to be enough
to delist the thug from foreign stock markets.

I don't see your problem. Jack Ma is just a businessman who provided a forum for businesses to sell their wares, fake or not. Are you talking about ethics here or what? Why would Jack care if people sold fake goods or not, he's never likely to get into trouble for breach of copyright. And since most western manufacturers cannot get a copyright in China, Jack has simply taken advantage of a situation than millions of other people would have done if they had the chance. TaoBao is no different.

Consumers have the right to choose what they buy and from where. If certain manufacturers weren't so greedy with their prices in the first place, (Apple?), then there would not be a market for fake goods in the first place and manufacturers of fake goods wouldn't be in business.

I've got an awesome pair of 'Nike' trainers and some excellent quality 'Levi' shirts, all for under $!0 each. Cheers Jack!

Caring - 2016-06-14
Bragging Fake Jack Ma Alibaba a Criminal

Jack Ma says:
Chinese-manufactured fake products are just as good -- if not better -- than the real deal
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/14/technology/alibaba-jack-ma-fake-goods/index.html

The inability to isolate this Chinese gangster from the world may, and in my opinion will, have dear consequences in near future, since others most likely will follow in his footsteps.

Return to Index › Bragging Fake Jack Ma Alibaba a Criminal

Go to another board -