TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Can e.s.l. teachers demand release and reference letters?
#1 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-28
Re Can e.s.l. teachers demand release and reference letters?

An American ex-colleague of mine tried that. He was 'sprung'.

Ah I see, you don't actually mean he was sprung, you mean a trap was sprung for him, presumably by the PSB? Sorry about that iwas slow.

#2 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-28

Jeez, are you really Amused in disguise?
Here it means he got caught. Suggesting to people that they simply get a new passport with a new passport number in order to circumvent the rules, just isn't worth the risk.
That's all I'm saying.

#3 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-28

Is that modern English or was it a positive result in his favour? 'To spring' to set free. The bank robber was sprung from Pentonville.

#4 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-28

I would recommend you apply for a replacement passport and
start again as if you have never before worked in China

#5 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-28

Thanks for the advice given.
    I am not in China at present, but at home for a deserved break. I would like to return, but without a reference letter it won't be easy to get a job there. Which institutions can I contact to get things going? Any e-mail addresses?

Thanks in advance

I should say that I am not an old china hand, but if as sounds like you are about to embark on a difficult and long job, I would recommend you apply for a replacement passport and start again as if you have never before worked in China. Some things take too long to straighten out, and oft times the best result you get is kinked.
#6 Parent Gibbo - 2016-06-27

If you just apply from back home again, you'll be ok, there will probably be no need for a reference letter.

Also, if you are getting recruited for any public university, they will probably demand it if you explain the situation. Private schools don't tend to f**k with those people.

#7 Parent Objective attempt - 2016-06-27

Thanks for the advice given.
I am not in China at present, but at home for a deserved break. I would like to return, but without a reference letter it won't be easy to get a job there. Which institutions can I contact to get things going? Any e-mail addresses?

Thanks in advance

#8 Parent The CFT Watchers - 2016-06-22

Under the guidelines of the SAFEA office once you've completed your contract the school is required to give you a release letter, letter of recommendation, and a copy of the cancellation of the Foreign Expert Certification. How you start is a polite demand letter to the person responsible for these things at the school. In fact they are to give immediately once you've asked. Next step make sure you have the correct Chinese name of all involved or the Principal, owner, etc. Then you go to the PSB office responsible for the FEC. Get the card of the person you speak to and a phone number. File a complaint in as much detail as possible. Locate the office of SAFEA and file a complaint there. While you're at the office of SAFEA call the principal and tell him or her you're there and ask for the correct spelling of their name. At this point alarm bells should be going off in their heads and you should get your docs the next day or two. Last but not least while at the PSB ask where the office of procurement is (district attorney). File a complaint again in detail. They're required to investigate ANY complaint coming across their desk. Make sure you take your passport and a copy of your contract if you have one.

Objective attempt - 2016-06-20
Can e.s.l. teachers demand release and reference letters?

I need some advice again.

My contract with my present school ended recently. I fulfilled all requirements of the contract. My problem is when I requested the release and reference letters, I was told that the new school must apply for them and if I decide not to continue teaching they (my present school) are not under any obligation to provide me with those documents.

Does this make sense at all?

Thanks in advance

Return to Index › Can e.s.l. teachers demand release and reference letters?

Go to another board -