TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re crawling back down
#1 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-28
Re: Re crawling back down

It's true that that that that that that that refers to is not the same that that that that refers to.

What's wrong with my punctuation? lol.

#2 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-27

You should rely on Dickens for a guide to punctuation, as long as it hasn't been edited recently.

#3 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-27
Re crawling back down

Interesting comparison! However, unlike maths where it's easily proved that 'x = y' for instance, grammarians continue to argue over who is right and who is wrong when it comes to the use of comma's and sentence structure. So if I were you, I'd give up....(or should that be 'if I WAS you'? Dunno, ask a grammarian, lol).

#4 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-27

I've seen some really sensible posts and comments on this forum. Sadly, this was not one of them....

#5 Parent Lady Deborah Thistlethwaite - 2016-06-27
Re crawling back down

Grammarians are like mathematicians - they are boring all the time! Decent people attend to the roses in their garden while they can do nothing better than claiming and explaining why n actants in S make up a minimally complete sentence with a P requiring n=x actants.
In practice, this means:

A sentence like John gives Mary a book John, Mary and a book are actants, P(redicate)requires these three actants to make a minimally complete sentence where n = 3.

Grammar here is explained in terms of Mathematical Function Theory!

Oh my God, why hast Thou punished this sinful world with grammarians and mathematicians? They are so boring!

LOL

#6 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-06-27
Re crawling back down

Got residence permits; they don't mention how many entries into China we are entitled?

Quite right, many cheap prices in China but sometimes one is surprised- cheese slices cost twice as much in china. Got a room today for 400 yuan for the month with bathroom. Wifi costs 7.5 yuan a month and I must pay for the AC. Didn't stay tonight as we had extra child with us. I know Chinese beds are big but 2 adults and 2 kids is a bit much; especially when they delight in jumping on my stomach and head. Move to big city tomorrow.

#7 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-27
Re crawling back down

She doesn't actually make any claims as such, but seems to me like she's a wannabe grammarian. She can usually be found in one of two places - perched on her extremely high horse or sitting in her ivory tower berating FT's. There are enough of my own comments on this board to give you a damn fine idea.

Ha ha! She has lectured me a couple of times but that's okay, she is probably a nice person.

#8 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-06-27
Re crawling back down

[edited]

#9 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-27
Re crawling back down

She doesn't actually make any claims as such, but seems to me like she's a wannabe grammarian. She can usually be found in one of two places - perched on her extremely high horse or sitting in her ivory tower berating FT's. There are enough of my own comments on this board to give you a damn fine idea.

#10 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-26
Re crawling back down

'He' is a she, dahling. I thought you would have realised by now...........

Really? No, never realised that. Could she be a sex-changeable poster, because I had her down as a manifestation of another poster who appears to be a he? What does she herself claim to be?

#11 Parent paul fox - 2016-06-26
Re crawling back down

but wondering if he does .

'He' is a she, dahling. I thought you would have realised by now...........

#12 Parent PhD teacher - 2016-06-26
Re crawling back down

Makes no sense you ate right. Means 'bullshit' as you know but wondering if he does .

Return to Index › Re crawling back down

Go to another board -