TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re China
#1 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-07-12
Re China

I am not actually keen on brown ales or porters, I know I should be.

Got lots done today, not least of all positioned some furniture (cheap and cheerful) and now have good water pressure thanks to a pump.

Would I right in thinking if you want to take a quick snap if thst lesser-spotted-warbler appears ypu need to use a film camera as by the time a digital camera is switched on and ready the little #ucke# has flown away?

#2 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-07-12
Re China

It's about Herman, a former dray horse in America:

http://vidzi.tv/lbgrq65qsi83.html

#3 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-07-12
Re China

You can't drink real ale chilled. It has to be at cellar temperature.Chemical fizzy beer can be ice-cold. Tsingdao and San Miguel and Fosters can be ice-cold.

Blighty's real ales are excellent, but its lagers (= yellow beers) are inferior. European lagers and pilseners are excellent, except when they're BREWED UNDER LICENCE in another country. There's one sold in small bottles brewed under licence in London with a German name. It's crap, I daren't mention the name as I don't want a libel case against me.

What many beer drinkers don't know is that Europe also has home-produced real ales that are excellent. In Germany, such ales are termed 'Alt', which means old.

Bright beer is the brewer's term for a beer whose pasteurisation has been cut short before putting it into a container. Such containers are kegs. Real ale containers are casks. Unlike kegs, they are barrel-shaped with a belly in the middle. Kegs, in contrast, are cylindrical in shape.

Way back in time, I sampled a couple of Aussie lagers in Blighty, crap, but BREWED UNDER LICENCE in Blighty. However, maybe in OZ, they'll go down the hatch much better!

I used to like Schlitz and Budweiser in cans in Blighty, better than Brit lager, but cheaper than Euro lager.

Btw, there's a lager BREWED UNDER LICENCE from a Scandinavian country in a gold can that's high in alcohol, but sweet and sickly. We used to call it 'legopener special brew'. Enough said!

Now, you being a Geordie - I have a question for you. Newcie Brown, which is sold in bottles. It's a legopener in Geordieland, but is it a real ale?

#4 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-07-12
Re China

You can drink it chilled. You can take it home from the pub in a plastic bag, and refrigerate it. But that's back in Blighty. Refrigerating the 5 liter bag won't affect the taste. It will only stop the ongoing fermentation process.

In pubs, all beers and lagers sold from kegs or casks are at cellar temperature, be they real ale or bright beer.

A few years ago, here in Hohhot, dark beer in bottles WAS available from a local brewery, North Star Beer = Saibeixing, later taken over by Xue Lue, Snow Aeer brand, later taken over by Yanjing of Beijing. Even so, Xue Lu is superior to Yanjing, though slightly inferior to the discontinued Saibeixing.

Xue Lu is in RB = returnable bottles, 2.6 RMB net price.

#5 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-07-12
Re China

You can't drink real ale chilled. It has to be at cellar temperature.Chemical fizzy beer can be ice-cold. Tsingdao and San Miguel and Fosters can be ice-cold.

#6 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-07-11
Re China

Cold beer is a bit of an abomination, but we can't get real ale here which can't be chilled otherwise you lose the flavours. We all have to drink fizzy chemicals here. But if you cab drink it unchilled fair enough. Mind you some peasants in uk drink chilled real ale- I expect they also pop the whisky and the whiskey in the fridge.

While they are all cleaning today I will go and buy some butter and bacon and pop that in the fridge.

#7 Parent paul fox - 2016-07-11
Re China

I'm not convinced that drinking cold beer is good for one's stomach. I am an habitual beer
drinker. I can knock back 4 or 5 bottles of Chinese beer of an evening

Obviously you have never been to Australia then? 4 or 5 bottles is considered 'mouthwash' and would usually be consumed before the steaks have even come within sight of the bbq.

The Aussies knock the Brits for drinking 'warm beer' - something I was certainly accustomed to whilst living in the UK. But after a decade and a half living in Oz, beer needs to be drunk cold.....ICE cold....and I have never seen or heard of anyone having stomach problems from doing so.

#8 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-07-11
Re China

What I forgot to update you with is that the new flat new fridge has been commissioned. 24
bottles of 600mil Tsingtao glitter and sparkle as you open the top door. Looks
professional retired FT to me!

I'm not convinced that drinking cold beer is good for one's stomach. I am an habitual beer drinker. I can knock back 4 or 5 bottles of Chinese beer of an evening while contemplating the world without feeling more than a little tipsy. The Chinese call beer 'liquid bread', and I think this is very appropriate. I suggest you take your liquid bread at room temperature for the sake of your health.

#9 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-07-11
Re China

What I forgot to update you with is that the new flat new fridge has been commissioned. 24 bottles of 600mil Tsingtao glitter and sparkle as you open the top door. Looks professional retired FT to me!

#10 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-07-11
Re China

Norwich sounds right-The Bishop of Norwich, I take it that T is just his layman'sname. No it just seems fair to me that all those years as nearly head of the Church of England that he is not regarded as a native speaker.

Yeah, well, fair enough! Our message has been spread. Enough's enough, thank you. My suggestion, joking apart, is that it's high time to leave it be! Overkill can be counter-productive!

Problems here. Yesterday the family expressed their intentions of hitting my new flat with distemper, walls and ceilings. I said no you
are not! Bur it is 0930 and not a word fromthem today. I think that they are at the flat throwing distemper around. They told me that emulsion would blister up. But who knows, maybe ihave been given the bums rush, now I have put flat in wife's name!

And nobody appears to be interested in your personal problems so far. That includes me. My suggestion is that you cease posting that kind of stuff unless it relates directly to your RP/visa problems with the Chinese authorities.

#11 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-07-11
Re China

Norwich sounds right-The Bishop of Norwich, I take it that T is just his layman'sname. No it just seems fair to me that all those years as nearly head of the Church of England that he is not regarded as a native speaker.

Problems here. Yesterday the family expressed their intentions of hitting my new flat with distemper, walls and ceilings. I said no you
are not! Bur it is 0930 and not a word fromthem today. I think that they are at the flat throwing distemper around. They told me that emulsion would blister up. But who knows, maybe ihave been given the bums rush, now I have put flat in wife's name!

#12 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-07-09
Re China

I heard from himself that he is a bishop. As such he qualifies to sit in The Lords

I imagine hehas long lost his African accent, hob nobbing with Royalty and premiers so I will confer an honoury NES certificate. He,s as British as you or me having been one of our spiritual leaders for sixty years or so- you say he is reired and bishops don't retire until 90odd.He is as British as haggis and jellied eels and we sgouldnt keep calling him a non-NES to be honest.

So, as an Anglian bishop, his diocese would have been Anglia. Do you know which one? Was it East or West Anglia or was it North Anglia or South Anglia? I think he might have said it was West Anglia, but I can't be certain of that.

Yep, he'll be chuffed to bits that you suggest we stop calling him a non-NES. I holeheartedly support your (overly?) kind suggestion!

#13 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-07-09
Re China

I heard from himself that he is a bishop. As such he qualifies to sit in The Lords

I imagine hehas long lost his African accent, hob nobbing with Royalty and premiers so I will confer an honoury NES certificate. He,s as British as you or me having been one of our spiritual leaders for sixty years or so- you say he is reired and bishops don't retire until 90odd.He is as British as haggis and jellied eels and we sgouldnt keep calling him a non-NES to be honest.

#14 Parent paul fox - 2016-07-09
Re China

NES = Native English Speaker.

I guess I can leave you to work out what a non NES is then, can I?

#15 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-07-09
Re China

I really believe I have something important to say abour these 'none NES' types if I knew what it meant?

I'm surprised you haven't been able to figure out the meaning of 'non NES type' from the context and content of Paul Fox's posts. Disappointing - I'd have thought you could have done so rather easily!

You have admitted you're a Geordie. That means you're a native English speaker = NES.

Unlike you, Turnoi is a non NES = he's not a native speaker of English. However, he is worthy of respect as a former Anglian priest and as he's an academic.

So, I'm dying to hear the important thing you've got to say. Bye for now.

#16 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-07-09
Re China

I really believe I have something important to say abour these 'none NES' types if I knew what it meant?

#17 Parent paul fox - 2016-07-08
Re China

Turnoi. Allow me to address both your comments. You are a non NES. I genuinely think that most people who know you either personally, or from discussion boards like this, respect your academic achievements.

That said, I really think you are missing my point totally. I'm not talking about honesty, integrity etc, I am talking about practicality.

I happen to have a degree in Business Administration, (and because of that, I get asked to teach Business English), but in reality, how does a degree in Business Administration qualify me to teach ESL? It doesn't.

What qualifies me to teach ESL is my advanced diploma in TESOL/TESL/TEFL. These are genuine qualifications that I studied hard to get.

Anyone who is teaching ESL with a fake TESOL/TEFL/TESL cert is certainly dishonest and has no integrity.

If they have genuine TESOL qualifications, come from a NES country, why does it matter if their degree is genuine or fake?

The degree itself bears no relevance on their ability to teach ESL. That's my point !

Return to Index › Re China

Go to another board -