TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teach on an F? - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Frank - 2006-08-14
Visa madness... - Teachers Discussion

M,

A number of people play fast and loose with these two visas, but I don't suggest you try it. When the immigration authorities decide to clamp down on somebody for this visa violation, guess who it will be???

YOU -- not the school!

The Z visa is the ONLY one that allows a people to work and collect wages LEGALLY in China. Other posters can perhaps give you a better explanation of the F visa... All I can tell you is that the F visa is the "Business visa," but it is meant for coming to China short-term (I believe the time limit for an F visa is three months). It allows to one to enter China to conduct business, such as consulting, but not to draw wages from a Chinese company directly. It assumes that you are on the payroll of a company in your home country, whose business interests you are representing while in China.

Again, others can explain the limits and conditions of the F visa in more detail and perhaps more clearly; but one thing is CLEAR: it is not legal to teach and accept wages for teaching services in China on an F visa.

Some people can really get into BIG trouble when playing games with visas. DON'T DO IT! Any school that is trying to persuade to work for them on an F visa, is not looking out for you, and but only their interests. This situation also implies that do not have the necessary legal status to obtain a Z visa, and proper residence permit for you.

BE CAREFUL!

#2 Parent John - 2006-08-14
Working on F-Visa - Teachers Discussion

As an F-Visa is a business visa it is illegal for any school to employ you with one of these. It is equally illegal for you to accept such a job on that basis. If caught you can expect at best to be invited to leave the country pretty quickly and you may be blacklisted against further entry too.

If the school offering you the job can only support an 'F' Visa it almost certainly means that they cannot get you a Residence Visa. (Z-Visas are now only used for bringing people in from outside China) They are almost certainly not authorised to directly employ foreign teachers. In the case of any trouble you will have no rights whatsoever. Therefore Beware!

When your present contract expires and it is not to be renewed, your present employer is required to cancel your visa and you are obliged to co-operate with him in doing this. Obtain from him a Letter of Recommendation (in effect a Release Letter) Once your visa is cancelled you have a certain amount of time in which to transfer to a new employer who can provide you with a residence visa. Or leave the country altogether.

My advice is not to accept the new job unless they can employ you in a legal manner and an 'F' Visa is NOT legal in your situation. People will tell you that it will be ok and that it is done all the time. This may be true to some extent - but it is an illegal situation and in the event you are caught you will be in trouble of some kind. If you do this you ARE putting yourself potentially in harm's way!

John

M - 2006-08-14
Teach on an F? - Teachers Discussion

I am currently on a Z but I will not be renewing my contract. I have found another position which seems fine but they claim that they can only support an F.
Is this a big problem?
Can I keep my current Z status going as it still has six months remaining?
If not, what are the risks of teaching on an F?
I have other offers but this position is the only one that is flexible with my holidays so I can make a friend's wedding.

Thanks for your help.

Return to Index › Teach on an F? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -