TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Chinese scumbags
#1 Parent Dr. Stephens - 2016-08-15
To Paul and all

You didn't do anything wrong. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. You are being "excused out" meaning whatever lame-ass excuse that can be drummed up for bouncing you out will be given. Your medical condition had nothing to do with it or your class prep. This is extremely common everywhere in China and has been going on forever to foreign teachers. Move on and don't defend yourself, don't blame yourself and don't listen to the B.S.

#2 Parent Paul fox - 2016-08-09
Re Chinese scumbags

I
wonder how many of them are tested for STD's?

None !

#3 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-08-08
Re Chinese scumbags

Chinese universities poll students about teacher performance; these are little more than popularity contests. My student ratings are always the highest in the college; after these courses, it achieved new heights.

Perhaps your Chinese colleagues were jealous of your popularity among your students. So, in order to pay you back for that, they spread some malicious lies about you to the president to ensure you'd have to go once your contract came to its natural conclusion.

You're certainly not a person who hides his/her light under a bushel! Quite the opposite, in fact.

#4 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-08-08
Re Chinese scumbags

Yes but many teachers who attempt sex education as foreign teachers still tipsy and reeking of tobacco I would advise to stop doing so. I would say you have good intentions if not silly-headed in this matter.

#5 Parent Paul Ralston - 2016-08-08
Re Chinese scumbags

Correct. The lack of sex education in China is indeed a problem! Especially considering the fact that around 20 years of age many Chinese women are looking for a sex partner. I wonder how many of them are tested for STD's?

#6 Parent amused - 2016-08-08
Re Chinese scumbags

FTs resort to the grossstupidityofincluding sex in their teaching purely to shock and because
they are angry with the school and atudents

Chinese college students are wholly ignorant about critical sexual health issues. Parents and schools avoid the subject; university level health courses are thinly-veiled warnings to sustain virginity. Chinese female college students are unable to discuss sexual issues with each other. Endemic abortion and alarming spiking in venereal diseases are the result.

My determination to obtain the prompt termination of my contract renewal was an opportunity to provide sexual health information to my students. I suspect that few FTs have given sex-ed courses to Chinese college students. It simply isn't done and I certainly don't recommend FTs to attempt it. My graduate degree is from a U.S. medical college in Health Policy (MPH).

Of the 210 freshman students that attended these classes, a third were rapt, a third actively participated with questions, and a third looked like they wanted to die. I prefaced each class with a warning about content and provided that students need not attend without penalty. A handful of students chose that option.
Educational institutions and parents that do not provide sexual education are guilty of "grosssstupidity".

I believe that I am guilty of opportunism in recognizing a better offer of employment as a valuable teaching moment. No doubt the University administration shares your opinion of my behavior.

Chinese universities poll students about teacher performance; these are little more than popularity contests. My student ratings are always the highest in the college; after these courses, it achieved new heights.

#7 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-08
Re Chinese Summer School

Your original post said your 'red-eye' was the
FIRST reason they gave you for declining to invite you to teach again. You never
mentioned teaching swear words in that initial post.

Red-eye was the ONLY reason given at first. Later, when challenged, they said that my lessons were not planned. There was never any mention of my lesson on swear words.

I didn't mention it in my first post because quite simply, I had forgotten all about it until I read the response from 'amused'. (It was over a year ago)

As for her sex-ed lesson, if you read her post again then you will see that she did it deliberately because she wanted to have her contract cancelled.

My lesson however, was delivered with the best of intentions and was designed to inform students how to tell the difference between 'F*ck you' (haha), and 'F*ck you' (asshole).

Both myself and a good FT friend of mine, who works at that school department full-time, thought it would be OK and we delivered it together.

However, though not stated, this seems like a more plausible reason not to have me back than the excuses originally given.

#8 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-08
Re Chinese scumbags

Maybe - but Chinese kids are swathed in cotton-wool blankets from birth. Heading to a western country to study requires them to be prepared for life there!

#9 Parent Odd Bob Job - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese scumbags

FTs resort to the grossstupidityofincluding sex in their teaching purely to shock and because they are angry with the school and atudents

#10 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese Summer School

No, FT - she's right!
Amused and I have 'crossed swords' on may occasions, (and will probably continue to do so), but credit where it's due, she empathised with my situation and offered a reasonable explanation. The 'internal planning error' would have been a more viable excuse than actually telling me that I turned up for class looking drunk. There WAS no 'internal planning error' and she never said there was!
She only submitted that an 'internal planning error' would have been a more viable excuse.

Teaching English swear words or teaching sex education is just asking for trouble. You chose your LAST lesson to teach swear words. Your original post said your 'red-eye' was the FIRST reason they gave you for declining to invite you to teach again. You never mentioned teaching swear words in that initial post. You didn't tell us the whole story in that post. I smelt a rat, unlike 'amused'.

'Amused' shouldn't be surprised that the sex education class caused her trouble re her future employment there.

I think both of you got your just desserts for sticking your necks out. No sympathy or empathy from me!

#11 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese scumbags

While reading your post about the sex education you gave students, a big light bulb appeared above my head and began to glow.
I suddenly remembered the final lesson I gave those grade 11 kids last year. Swear-words.

It was a controlled lesson using PPT and the PPT was strictly adhered to, (just in case any of the Chinese bosses wanted to see it). It dealt with the 5 most used swear words in England and Australia - namely sh*t, p*ss, w*nk, f*ck, and of course, the 'C-word'. No written material or worksheets were used, since the whole lesson was based on tonal use and how we use tones to inflect different meanings of those words.

These kids were preparing to go to study in Canada and America - countries where they are not continually wrapped up in their proverbial cotton-wool-blanket. I thought I was actually doing them some good by explaining certain things they are likely to encounter - obviously not!

I must admit though, if I ever wanted to get my contract cancelled, I can think of no better way than giving the kids a few lessons on sex-education - Classic!

Now we can say with almost total certainty why 'amused' and you are both out of favor with your previous employers. There is no mystery any more.

#12 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese scumbags

No, FT - she's right!
Amused and I have 'crossed swords' on may occasions, (and will probably continue to do so), but credit where it's due, she empathised with my situation and offered a reasonable explanation. The 'internal planning error' would have been a more viable excuse than actually telling me that I turned up for class looking drunk. There WAS no 'internal planning error' and she never said there was!
She only submitted that an 'internal planning error' would have been a more viable excuse.

#13 Parent amused - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese scumbags

Mere supposition by you; internal planning error, my arse.
You are like a 'homer'

Be still my heart; thou hast known worse than this.

#14 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese scumbags

Rather than admit some internal planning error on the part of their summer program, the flustered manager chose to blame you. When pressed to identify some personal failure or an 'elephant in the room', some Chinese managers may lash out, unaccustomed to direct communication or apology.

Mere supposition by you; internal planning error, my arse.

You are like a 'homer'. He is a soccer referee whose decisions tend to favor the home team during a match. When the crowd picks up on this, he will be jeered and booed whenever he has to officiate during the rest of the match, and quite rightly so!

#15 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese scumbags

Thanks for sharing.
It is quite frustrating that Chinese people regard being wrong as losing face. There's a lot of truth in the old saying - 'A man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything'.

While reading your post about the sex education you gave students, a big light bulb appeared above my head and began to glow.
I suddenly remembered the final lesson I gave those grade 11 kids last year. Swear-words.

It was a controlled lesson using PPT and the PPT was strictly adhered to, (just in case any of the Chinese bosses wanted to see it). It dealt with the 5 most used swear words in England and Australia - namely sh*t, p*ss, w*nk, f*ck, and of course, the 'C-word'. No written material or worksheets were used, since the whole lesson was based on tonal use and how we use tones to inflect different meanings of those words.

These kids were preparing to go to study in Canada and America - countries where they are not continually wrapped up in their proverbial cotton-wool-blanket. I thought I was actually doing them some good by explaining certain things they are likely to encounter - obviously not!

I must admit though, if I ever wanted to get my contract cancelled, I can think of no better way than giving the kids a few lessons on sex-education - Classic!

#16 Parent amused - 2016-08-07
Re Chinese scumbags

I empathize with your situation but I suspect that the withdrawal of your job offer had nothing to do with you.

One of the frustrating side effects of the Chinese cultural reluctance to directly say 'No' is a similar unwillingness to accept responsibility when mistakes have been made. Polite indirection when pressed by Westerners for specifics can deteriorate into random deception.

As an example, one year after having already signed a contract for the following academic year at a university, I was anxious for the school to cancel my contract so that I could accept another offer. I began a two week program of sex-education for all my classes, with specific details about contraception, venereal diseases, variety of abortion techniques, and relative disease/pregnancy risk of specific sexual practices.

Withing 10 days I received a polite text message form the Dean that my services would not be needed next year. When pressed for an explanation, the FAO director told me that they were "rethinking their use of FTs".

They provided me with an excellent recommendation and release letter.

Rather than admit some internal planning error on the part of their summer program, the flustered manager chose to blame you. When pressed to identify some personal failure or an 'elephant in the room', some Chinese managers may lash out, unaccustomed to direct communication or apology.

Paul Fox - 2016-08-06
Chinese scumbags

Once again the attitude of Chinese employers prevails. Assumption is put ahead of reality, facts, and of course, profit.

Last summer I did a summer camp at Beijing New Oriental in Yangzhou. It was 60 classes over 16 days, high school students, and the fee was RMB9000. It was great fun.
I was assured that I would be booked again this year, and I was.
That was until today. Despite receiving a confirmation e-mail, about 3 months ago, I have just been informed that my services are not required, despite them having no other teacher and the camp starts next week. The reason they gave is that 'I appeared to look drunk when attending classes' last year.

Anyone in China knows that the humidity is pretty bad. That, coupled with the pollution, makes my eyes red. It's a medical condition, (Uveitis), that I have suffered with all my adult life. I have never, and would never, even contemplate going to teach a class of students under the affluence of incohol.

Once I explained this, they came back and said that my lessons weren't planned correctly last year.

OK, no problem. If 16 days of lessons that include PPT's with pictures, worksheets, video's etc, don't constitute lesson planning, then what does? Can someone offer me some practical assistance?

Nothing was said to me last year - no complaints - in fact quite the opposite. However, red-eye-syndrome is a sign of alcoholism and nothing more as far as these narrow-minded muppets are concerned. Uveitis is not on their agenda.

I hope their summer camp fails miserably and that the high school director, (who couldn't direct traffic), gets to play a key role in the next Final Destination movie !

What an idiot !

Return to Index › Chinese scumbags

Go to another board -