TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › romp n roll
#1 Parent rompnrolllgirl - 2016-08-22
Re romp n roll

I am perfectly aware that I will be working illegally and the risks this entails. It's stupid but I've made up my mind... I have a feiend who's worked in China illegally nearly six months and she hasn't been caught. I actuzlly know a few people working illegslly and have decided I am happy to risk the potential deportation lol.

I am looking for people who can share their experiences with this company.... I want to know if I will get everything they are offering me, most interested in the flights.

#2 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-08-17
Re romp n roll

The first red flag is that they are hiring an 18 year old who seemingly has no bachelor's degree or teaching certification (TEFL, CELTA, etc.). This is illegal in China. To teach English, you would need at least a 4 year bachelor's degree (in any subject, but preferably English or education related) and a teaching certification. Post-graduate work experience is required by many schools as well, but from my observations, this requirement is on a case-by-case basis depending on where or who you are working for. Any reputable recruiter would tell you that you need a Z visa, and nothing less, to work full time in China. It is for this reason that most schools that are certified to hire foreign teachers won't consider hiring anyone younger than 21-23 years old.

Except for: a university degree from any western university is acceptable. For example, a three year BSc degree, called an ordinary degree, from a British university is accepted.

Why is this important? Not only can you be deported, fined, and banned from the country if you're caught working illegally without a Z visa, but companies and schools can, and most likely will, screw you over at their earliest convenience because you DO NOT have a legal contract that can be enforced. There are plenty of stories online of people who were abused and screwed over by their employers because they didn't have a legal Z visa. Believe me when I say you do not want to be one of those people.

What about the job detailed below? Does it constitute illegal employment?

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/China/index.pl?read=289111

#3 Parent Little Laowai - 2016-08-17
Re romp n roll

Your friend in Beijing is right. This is NOT what most legal, certified English teaching companies do. There are so many red flags with your situation that I would recommend just cutting your losses and not go to China to work for these people.

The first red flag is that they are hiring an 18 year old who seemingly has no bachelor's degree or teaching certification (TEFL, CELTA, etc.). This is illegal in China. To teach English, you would need at least a 4 year bachelor's degree (in any subject, but preferably English or education related) and a teaching certification. Post-graduate work experience is required by many schools as well, but from my observations, this requirement is on a case-by-case basis depending on where or who you are working for. Any reputable recruiter would tell you that you need a Z visa, and nothing less, to work full time in China. It is for this reason that most schools that are certified to hire foreign teachers won't consider hiring anyone younger than 21-23 years old.

Why is this important? Not only can you be deported, fined, and banned from the country if you're caught working illegally without a Z visa, but companies and schools can, and most likely will, screw you over at their earliest convenience because you DO NOT have a legal contract that can be enforced. There are plenty of stories online of people who were abused and screwed over by their employers because they didn't have a legal Z visa. Believe me when I say you do not want to be one of those people.

Don't take this the wrong way, but please stay home for now. If you really want to be an ESL teacher, go to university and get a bachelor's degree. Not an associate's degree. A four year bachelor's degree. That's the ONLY way to secure a legitimate teaching job not only in China, but in pretty much any East Asian country (including South Korea and Japan, if you ever become interested in those countries).

I'm not saying this to be mean, or to discourage you from travelling abroad or eventually working as an English teacher. I'm telling you this because you are putting yourself at great risk working for these people, especially since this is your first time in China. China can be a wonderful place to visit, live, or work, but you have to go in with your eyes wide open.

#4 Parent rompnrolllgirl - 2016-08-17
Re romp n roll

I havent gone yet. Pretty sure its legit but have the ssme questions as you re. the contract. Also I red somewhere they can send you out of Beijing if there's no space in schools there, which would be kind of annoying.

Romp n Roll is a big company I'm sure they can get people who qualify for work visas work visas.

#5 Parent Paul fox - 2016-08-17
Re romp n roll

Amused poster is correct. Welcome to China.......
Just ignore the other party poopers. It's perfectly OK to work illegally on a tourist visa so don't you worry. Flying to Korea every three months to renew is just a pain in the bum, but you'll get used to it. I'm sure the lovely people have YOUR best interests at heart.
I'm also certain that they'll be just as lovely to the next 18 year old who replaces you after you've been given 48 hours to leave the country and banned from returning for 5 years....but don't you worry....

#6 Parent Paul fox - 2016-08-17
Re romp n roll

Correct me if I'm wrong here. If you have a business visa and are all legal and you supply your teaching services to a school, that school is not essentially employing you on a full time basis. In other words, that school doesn't need to have the required licence to hire foreigners.....or does it?
I used to know a guy in Suzhou (who sadly died), but he operated like this for 15 years. He essentially worked for himself and just subcontracted himself out to lots of schools. He'd just invoice them for his time.
Seems to me that it's a grey area when it comes down to licences to employ foreign teachers.
Thoughts ?

#7 Parent analyst - 2016-08-16
Re romp n roll

Working for a school with an F visa is illegal. It is obvious that this school is a shonky outfit that does not have a licence to hire foreign teachers. The "contract" at a school like this is worthless, as it is not legal. You need a Z visa which is then converted to a Residence Permit within 30 days to work legally in China.

#8 Parent AshleighF - 2016-08-16
Re romp n roll

Hi There,

ive just been offered a placement in the romp n roll in Beijing too!

A few questions of you dont mind? .. did you go?!

If you did is it legit and are you enjoying it?

Is there anything which was promised in your contract which youve had difficulty with?

Thank you so much in advance!

Ashleigh x

#9 Parent rompnrolllgirl - 2016-08-16
Re romp n roll

I have already got my business visa and booked my flight. I know lots of people working in China and none of them got caught. I trust these people they are really good to me, I will just be annoyed if they wont fly me to korea every 3 months.

The other poster said she knows many people who had a good experience with this company, I don't know what to think. I get the impression there's a lot of illegals there because it's only teaching babies.

#10 Parent analyst - 2016-08-16
Re romp n roll

It sounds like a scam to me. And if you are only 18 then how can you have a degree? How do you know the people who got you the job are "really lovely", ???? They will say anything to get you there, sound nice on the phone, etc, they are recruiters, and recruiters are scammers. They just want their commission. Having to fly to Japan or Korea every three months means that they want you to work illegally on a tourist visa, or more likely an F visa. If you don't believe me then ask other posters on here. They will confirm what I say. You are going to make a huge mistake if you travel to Beijing for this "job". You will be heavily fined and deported if you get caught working illegally. You should not think "it can't happen to me", it could, and has happened to many other foreigners. Stay home, improve yourself in your own country, do some training courses, get some new skills. You are 18, do not have a degree or two years teaching experience, therefore you do not qualify for a work visa and residence permit. You will be an illegal worker if you go, STAY HOME!

#11 Parent amused - 2016-08-15
Re romp n roll

I'm sure that you will have an amazing experience. I know several people who worked there and they had nothing but wonderful things to say.
Welcome to China!

rompnrolllgirl - 2016-08-15
romp n roll

hi

I have recieved a job offer from romp n roll in beijing and i am meant to fly out to do my training next month. The people who got me the job are all really lovely but I don't know if i can trust everything they say. My friend is an ESL teacher in BJ and when I told her that romp n roll had told me they would pay for me to fly to Korea or Japan or wherever I want every 3 months when i need to change my visa that this didn't sound like something most companies would do?? i am only 18 and this is my first time in china so i don't want to get stuck in a bad job!!

I can't find much recent stuff about them online so does anyone have any experience working with them or know anyone else who does?

Return to Index › romp n roll

Go to another board -