TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › knocking opportunity
#1 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Are we having a competition here ? Let's see who has the biggest degree in " statin' the bleedin' obvious"!

Chinese FAO's don't "compromise" - they either "win" or they "lose" and not winning is a sign of losing!

Sure, they'll pay....it's either that or spend months trying to recruit a replacement. However, you can bet your sweet little douche that there'll be a rider in the contract stating that the fee must be refunded if one leaves their employ anytime during the next 20 years.

These are Chinese people that we're trying to deal with. They're not "normal".

#2 Parent Dawei - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Not a career or immigration opportunity?

That's not a very good way to sell the Chinese ESL dream.

#3 Parent Dawei - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

I've said it before, when my turn comes around, I've got to verify my degree from the UK plus my police check from Australia. Unless the school is prepared to pay, I'll walk...it really is that simple...

Negotiation is always a two way street. There are certain expenses that an employer must always be expected to pay.

#4 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

I agree. Teaching in China has been a wonderful experience for me. I guess most of us have some wonderful students and feel proud to be people they'll never forget. However, the shitty system, the lies and deceit that comes from FAO's, the consistent never ending bullshit, and the fact that many Chinese have more faces than the town hall clock, all go to make China what it is....plastic !

It's a shame. There are many hard working students who really need FT's to assist them in their quest to master English. It's their own country that's failing them, not us...

#5 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Exactly....on the one hand it's easy to agree with the likes of Amused and Turnoi because the ESL industry in China DOES need to be cleaned up. However, while scumbag training centre bosses openly flout the rules by forging degrees for employees, (WEB), and school FAO's make it virtually impossible to get notarised credentials within a stupid timeframe, what they are hoping to achieve will never actually BE achieved.

It's not just the unqualified deechers that China is losing, it's also losing, (and will continue to lose), decent, qualified FT's who simply refuse to pay the dollars and undergo all the rigmarole as previously discussed.

I've said it before, when my turn comes around, I've got to verify my degree from the UK plus my police check from Australia. Unless the school is prepared to pay, I'll walk...it really is that simple...

#6 Parent amused - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Thank you for your reasonable response.

I have said many times that teaching English in China is neither a career nor immigration opportunity. It can be, however, a powerful life experience of several years duration in an amazing country during a dramatic transition.

I have taught in Sanya, Haikou, Dalian, Beijing, Changsha, Nanning and Fuzhou. In my opinion, Beijing is a better city to visit than to live or work, but the other cities were pleasant places to spend a year or two.

I have no advice to give on marital choices, alcohol purchases, or retirement planning.

#7 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Yep.....and those degrees need to be verified. Verification comes at a huge price that runs into hundreds of dollars. China might be paving the way for suitably qualified new arrivals, but unless those people are prepared to fork out the best part of one months Chinese salary in order to get their degree and police check notarised, it's meaningless.

Indeed!

Aside from the cost, at this time there's also the 21 day deadline. This won't be achievable by FTs in China without family members/good friends back home who will have the time and inclination to undertake Chinese visa office visits urgently to obtain the necessary approvals while acting as their agents.

Chances are that such 'timed out' FTs will be at least middle-aged, as well as rather experienced FTs, constituting China's best FTs!

#8 Parent San Migs - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Not surprisingly, the individuals who are involuntarily denied occupancy in China are now criticizing the country that no longer welcomes non-credentialed foreign teachers.

You should write for the china daily. I bet you believe even somewhere like Beijing is a great place to live, despite breathing air that can cause cancer, and drinking water from your taps with a layer of film on it. But hey, a couple of million rmb is a great deal for an apartment in wu dao kou right? Then you can work like a dog for some racist FAO boss, and all your salary will disappear on some greedy cow of a chinese wife, who perpetually demands the latest iphone, new clothes, trips out of China and so on and so on. But yeap, it's a great life to be a foreign teacher in China earning peanuts with a demanding chinese wife, keep living the Chinese dream, it's clearly so enviable that no Chinese seek to leave China for good (sarcasm), two (one a former student, and the other a former female fao) are now settled in Canada....and Canada or China, well I'll leave it to you decide which is better for longevity and quality of life.

#9 Parent San Migs - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Again, I agree, it is creating the problems they are hoping to avoid. For the salaries that China pays, if you have to jump through hoops, it might be better to do that for a job paying 700 pounds sterling per week tax free in Saudi Arabia, even if it takes a month or two longer to get everything done to satisfy the saudi authorities. At least there will be a well paid job with free accomodation and paid flights at the end of it. Chinese employers do not offer flights, generally sub standard accomodation, poorly working internet and low salaries. It's not China 2004-2008. Credit crunch in the west, inflation in China, means an FT should be getting at least 10-15,000 rmb per month with off campus accomodation paid for with a rental allowance. Even then I'm not sure it's worth the stress, and would still be peanuts compared to teaching elsewhere for all that rigmarole.

#10 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

Yep.....and those degrees need to be verified. Verification comes at a huge price that runs into hundreds of dollars. China might be paving the way for suitably qualified new arrivals, but unless those people are prepared to fork out the best part of one months Chinese salary in order to get their degree and police check notarised, it's meaningless.

#11 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-08-26
Re knocking opportunity

As the angry howling of the departing and deported dancing FTs from China continues, there are now countless opportunities for young and early-retired individuals with genuine college degrees from the U.S, Canada, England, Australia or New Zealand, several years work experience or a TESOL certification, and clean backgrounds to teach English in China.

Yep, let's not confuse readers. We should say university degrees, NOT college degrees!

Not surprisingly, the individuals who are involuntarily denied occupancy in China are now criticizing the country that no longer welcomes non-credentialed foreign teachers.

But they're not alone. Don't tar all such individuals with the same brush! Some such individuals who are qualified to teach in China are fed up with the increased red tape!

The fact is that teaching in Universities and public schools in China is a rewarding experience for individuals that have a genuine interest in teaching and are excited to experience China's rich culture and modern frenetic growth.

It's also rewarding for laid-back qualified Westerners who relish the opportunity to teach in China on 12 clock hour/week contracts, and be allowed to be their own bosses, as it were, with minimal interference from dept heads. They aren't so excited as the ones you promote. They wish to chill out and have sufficient salary to drink beer and/or smoke in their generously allocted free time. BTW, why does your post have university starting with a capital, but public schools isn't starting with capitals? University should not start with a capital.

For caring and qualified individuals, there has never been a better time to teach in China.

I would just say 'for qualified individuals'! FTs needn't be caring!

amused - 2016-08-26
knocking opportunity

As the angry howling of the departing and deported dancing FTs from China continues, there are now countless opportunities for young and early-retired individuals with genuine college degrees from the U.S, Canada, England, Australia or New Zealand, several years work experience or a TESOL certification, and clean backgrounds to teach English in China.

The fact is that teaching in Universities and public schools in China is a rewarding experience for individuals that have a genuine interest in teaching and are excited to experience China's rich culture and modern frenetic growth.

For caring and qualified individuals, there has never been a better time to teach in China.

Return to Index › knocking opportunity

Go to another board -