TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › I'm missing something. - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-31
Good News! - Teachers Discussion *Link*

Good on ya, Maryjoy!

I know some Filipinas who have really been through the mill here in China. I also know many like you who have been very successful here.

People like you can help the ones still struggling not lose heart and give up. Be proud of what you've done and get the word out!

#2 Parent Maryjoy - 2006-08-30
response to Raoul... - Teachers Discussion

Hey buddy!I am glad that you are quite observant in some of the dark realities happening in the ESL teaching arena here in China.I am a Filipino who is holding a degree in Education and is presently employed in one of the recognized Foreign Language Schools here in the South. As one of those so called "non-native speakers", I somehow experienced hardships in applying for a job as most schools (especially in the South)require "natives".When I applied for a post in this school,the first question they asked was "Filipinos speak English?".My instant reply was "of course!we do!Even our dogs understand English!"Then I asked them to try me.And that was the start-I immediately signed contract.But,pal,I did not receive any rubbish offer from my employer as I am enjoying the same benefits and treatment as any natives do.In fact, my boss is even asking me to sign a 5 year contract with them....which I find funny (will the government grant me citizenship?).

#3 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-22
That's what I figured. - Teachers Discussion

But I was wondering if there had been some sort of political or business alliance between that province and the Philipines. A "SIP" type of cooperative effort.

I hate to pin these things on stereotypes.

#4 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-21
Filipinos, etc... - Teachers Discussion *Link*

Yeah, Chuck hit on a lot of it...

China has a lot of teachers from the Philippines, West Africa, India/Pakistan, and so on. Many of these folks ARE native speakers, and many are fine, well-qualified, experienced teachers. However, due to their race and national origin many of these people have had to struggle to find work in China...many schools, students, parents, etc. seriously believe that "real English" is spoken and taught only by white people.

As a result, a lot of these people work for lower salaries in poorer conditions than their Caucasian counterparts from the Big 7 English-speaking countries. They are less prone to complain and to stand up to abuse...they simply have fewer alternatives.

So, sadly, a lot of these job ads specifying Filipinos, etc. are really saying "We want someone who will work dirt-cheap, and who will take our abuse without making a lot of noise about it." It's a BAD sign. And I wish it weren't the truth...

#5 Parent KJK - 2006-08-20
Non Native English Teachers - Teachers Discussion

I know that in the city of Yinchuan here, there were at least seven Phillipinos teaching here this past school term. The reasons that I feel for more of them being recruited is for the fallowing reasons. 1) The demand for native speakers is greater than the supply. 2) They will willingly work for the low salaries for the money alone and the experience. 3) They do not complain like many of the western teachers do (some Westerners have good reason to complain though) and can be easily controlled. 4) Their Englsh ranges from very good to very poor but they can speak it and read it fairly well. So the students can learn some English. 5) Some of them work very hard.

As long as there is such a high demand you are going to see teachers coming from other countries to teach not only in China but other countries as well. We will have to get used to it.

Chuck - 2006-08-20
I'm missing something. - Teachers Discussion

Why are Filipino teachers being sought in Mongolia? Has Mongolia and the Philipines started business partnerships?

Return to Index › I'm missing something. - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -