TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Web International School: Xiamen-Nantong - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-08-24
Thanks, KJ - Teachers Discussion

Hi KJ

I think I can place you. The clue is in your reference to my questioning you in a posting last year, though it is a bit hard to keep up with you due to your changes of 'identity'.

Thank you for the offer of information regarding your aforementioned private school. I am interested, and would certainly appreciate any contact details that you are able to send to me. My e-mail address is above, next to my name and under the topic of this post.

I believe we previously worked together at the same school in China, if my guess is correct.

Your offer of help is really appreciated. Thanks KJ, and I look forward to corresponding with you further.

Regards,

Yingwen.

#2 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-23
Sounds about right... - Teachers Discussion

Yup, that's Aston, all right...

#3 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-23
Thanks... - Teachers Discussion

Thank you, guys. I'm glad the review helped. It was definitely life at Web as I saw it...

You're a mensch, Frank. Don't lay it on too thick please...I don't want to actually grow the ego I've been accused of having. ;-{)

#4 Parent KJ - 2006-08-23
Yingwen - still looking? - Teachers Discussion

Hey Yingwen, Although I haven't acknowledged it before, we do know each other. In fact, after one of my postings under a different pseudonym last year, you questioned whether or not it was I, but I didn't respond - wanting to stay anonymous and all that. However, since I see that you are looking for a new position I have one or two recommendations that I'll be happy to send you via email if you care to give me your address.
In regards to private schools and specifically the chain schools, I'm sure most would agree that they are best avoided for a variety of reasons - the least of which is that even if they are foreign owned, they are rarely foreign operated. Schools such as EF, Web and Aston, it can be seen by reviewing the archives here and researching elsewhere, talk the talk but rarely walk the walk. The managers or leaders that one talks to are usually Westerners that are adept at painting a glowing picture, but once past that point the image begins fading. (At one point last year I was hired by Aston as a manager for one of their newly opened schools. They were very effusive in their praise of my qualifications etc., but before I could begin I had to rush back to America due to a problem with my family. At that point their kindness was proved to be false - no further communication and no show of concern. In short, by taking no action on my behalf they showed their true colors. And we all know what color that is; "The Color of Money.")

Having said that though, I know from personal experience that there are a few training centers that are worth looking into. I did a two week gig this summer with a private school after the term ended at the university where I work. There were four other teachers there and none of us had any complaints. The manager is British and quite easy to get along with. Generally, their focus is on IELTS and most of the students are motivated young adults or adults. The training center itself is up to date with comfortable class rooms and a nice surrounding. At any rate, though they're looking into opening another school here in the same province, they are not a chain school.
If you'd like more information, I'll send it to you in email. Until then.........take care.

#5 Parent Frank - 2006-08-22
Raoul Rocks! - Teachers Discussion

Yeah, Ying, Raoul Rocks!

His posts are always well-written, insightful, and often highly entertaining!

In addition to the hefty portions of servings at his "Saloon," he has made such a generous and vital contribution to this forum. He has helped so many people avoid disaster, consider alternatives, and perhaps even find happiness!

A keen mind and a great wit!

Bravo, Raoul!

#6 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-08-22
Good Review, Raoul - Teachers Discussion

Thanks Raoul,

Much appreciated.

I don't know how I missed that review. I did a google search of the review board, but your review somehow slipped my net.

It's a very good review! It's comprehensive, factual, and well balanced. It's certainly proved very useful in helping me make a decision about whether to teach at Web or not.

The sick days policy sounds especially crappy. You've painted a vivid picture of the school and I can forsee a few problems. I agree with you, the fourty hours a week schedule definitely sucks!

Thanks for your time, bro!

All the best,

Ying

#7 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-21
Web School - Teachers Discussion *Link*

Hey Yingwen Laoshi,

I recently posted a review of a Web school in the Reviews area, if you'd care to take a look at it.

Every Web school will have some local differences, but many things will be the same everywhere in their system. My experience with Web has not seen problems with honesty in terms of honoring the contract terms, it's more like it's just not a very good deal in the first place.

My main problem with them now is in the handling of sick days. You only get 3, and if you call in sick beyond that you will most likely be fined on top of not being paid, even if you are demonstrably really ill. It's around 250 per day in Suzhou! In my opinion, this is intolerable and a good enough reason to not sign with them.

Again, more details in the review. Hope you'll give it a look.

#8 Parent Frank - 2006-08-20
You're welcome, my friend! More thoughts... - Teachers Discussion

Yingwen Laoshi,

Im glad I could offer you some additional information, from myself and others FTs. I understand your reasons COMPLETELY for considering work in training schools. My life in Nanjing is expensive (rent, monthly payments sent to USA, and I have unusually high monthly medical expenses--ugh!). I simply could not survive on a university or other public school salary (and I also dont relish the idea of working two jobs to make ends meet).

I will tell you that in my experience -- and I have worked in several training centers -- the students are usually quite motivated (as opposed to what some FTs tell me about a significant percentage of students in public schools) because they have invested a lot of money for the classes and they usually have a directed goal(s) for learning English. For example, many work in import/export business (or hope to). I quite enjoy teaching students (ranging in age from 18-50) in training schools! Its the management that will likely be your nightmare.

The trick is finding/negotiating a situation (or contract) with a training school that is reasonable (number of teaching hours, and other expectations). Yes, you are correct. Each franchise of Web International will have its own characteristics. Hopefully, you can locate and communicate with a few FTs presently working at both locations.

Best wishes to you and the missus!!!

Frank

#9 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-08-20
Thanks Frank! - Teachers Discussion

Hi Frank

It's good to get a reply from you.

I had already checked out those links, and they were very useful. Your experience certainly sent the alarm bells ringing! I would have done exactly what you did and ran a mile!

Of course that doesn't mean the branches at Nantong and Xiamen are ran the same way, so it would be nice to get some info from someone who has worked for one of those centres.

I don't usually consider positions in private chain schools, but with a bit of nagging from the missus I'm considering whether I should be content with 600 dollars at a government school or go for a higher wage at a private school. The years are catching up. Yes, I'm much happier at government schools but I also have to consider my economic future. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Thanks again Frank. It's great to hear from you, buddy.

All the best!

#10 Parent Frank - 2006-08-19
additional information - Teachers Discussion

Hello, Yingwen Laoshi!

As much as I hate to say this, I suggest you visit the China job-related discussion forum at Dave's ESL Cafe. Search for a recent thread called "Web International are failing," and any other Web Int'l-related posts that might appear in your search.

I'm in Nanjing, and during the first two years of their business, Web International enjoyed a good reputation here (at least among students). I interviewed with them twice (in 2004 and 2005, and was offered a position each time), but declined after meeting with several dissatisfied/disgruntled FTs employed there (refer to the Dave's ESL thread for details).

These days Web's reputation is tanking rapidly and I'm told a group of angry students recently took to the local TV airwaves to voice their complaints about Web Internation-Nanjing.

My very first job in China was in Nantong (in 2003). Although I met many wonderful people in Nantong, and I can honestly say a number of positive things about the city, I left after three very frustrating months, and I would not choose to live and work there again. I have remained in Nanjing basically ever since.

I hear Xiamen is good city to live and work in, but I have never been there, nor do I know anyone who works (or worked) there.

Good luck!

Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-08-19
Web International School: Xiamen-Nantong - Teachers Discussion

Hi,

I hope everybody is enjoying their holiday (or teaching).

At the moment I'm trying to set something up for myself for the next semester. If anybody has worked for any of the Web International branches mentioned in the title, or has any helpful info about them, it would be appreciated.

My main questions are:

1. Do they stick to their contractural obligations?

2. Are the general conditions good?

3. Are their teaching plans/ techniques, effective?

Thanks, in advance.

Return to Index › Web International School: Xiamen-Nantong - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -