TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Nasdaken International English - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Frank - 2006-09-06
Martin, a reply from you -- AT LONG LAST!!! - Teachers Discussion

Martin,

Thanks for your reply -- AT LONG LAST! I do believe you are working to solve the problem, but as of this moment, it still remains.

You state: "You also attack Course Consultants saying that the evil Nasdaken monster essentailly compels them to say "ANYTHING" to potential clients. Again you show too little understanding. Have you actually had any problems at Nasdaken or is it all rumours and speculation?"

Please be very careful what words to attribute to me. I never used the phrase "the evil Nasdaken monster." That is purely your creation.

Since you asked for examples, OK...

When I would do postential student/client interviews, I would encourage them to come to Nasdaken, but from experience, I also learned to ask them, "What did the course consultant tell you we would do for you?" I ACTUALLY got responses such as:
"They told me you would teach me accounting!"

or better yet,

"They told me you would teach me all the necessary vocabularies for my job,"

to which I replied:
"Oh, what is your job?"

Customer reply: "I work in a factory that makes pesticides."

After such encounters I would meet with the course consultant and tell them that it was my intention to make clients happy, but when they have very special, customized requests (such as the above examples) they must consult with me and/or the Education department first. They NEVER did!

In fact, one of my Chinese colleagues there told me that during a meeting one day, the supervisor of the course concultants (Sam Gu) said to his sales team: "Don't care about Frank, just say what you need to say to sign up the customer."

Ok, Martin?

#2 Parent Martin - 2006-09-06
"Tis but thy name that is my enemy" - Teachers Discussion

Dear Frank,

I admit it. It is unfair to use the pictures of previous foreign teachers on the current website for the school. I honestly didn't pick up on your problem until wednesday last week when I read the stream of messages you've been writing.

Well I agree it should be changed so I'm on the case, using my incredible super teacher powers that I clearly previously claimed to have. New pictures are being taken of the current foreign teachers and will appear on the website in about a week. Happy now?

As for your point that when they put the pictures for Mary-Kate and William on the site they could have removed the ones of Eric and Landon. True! But this doesn't show much understanding for the Chinese way of things. Boss tells subordinate office worker, who never has much to do with the teaching department, to include the pictures of 2 new teachers on the site. Thus they do, with no thought of removing the old ones. Whatever the reason, I agree with you that since the teachers don't work there now it should be changed, so I'm getting it changed.

You say they don't care. I'm sure the people who do all the work for the website really do not care at all. I'm sure they just do what they're told and apart from thet get on with their other jobs. It's not such a big issue.

Here's the website for you to check, it isn't changed yet, but it will be soon

http://www.nasdaken.com/szll.asp

You also attack Course Consultants saying that the evil Nasdaken monster essentailly compels them to say "ANYTHING" to potential clients. Again you show too little understanding. Have you actually had any problems at Nasdaken or is it all rumours and speculation? Of course they must try hard to get students and they have to make the school sound as good as they can without telling lies. We all know they must be tempted to push the truth, or at least show a very positive picture of things. It's an aweful job but it's absolutely necessary. This isn't a middle school or university, it's a company.

Incidentaly, my position in this company is to work for the school and the students, so that's what I do. The marketing side of the school has wound me up a few times but it's nothing more than an annoyance. It's a natural company conflict between 2 departments. You make things sound so much more serious than this.

Please understand the 'subject' is just a joke, Capulet!

Martin
Head Teacher of Nasdaken

#3 Parent Frank - 2006-08-24
"As the website turns..." - Teachers Discussion

Chuck,

I appreciate your "daily musings," but I strongly disagree with you about this one. By the way, did you happen to read the entire thread about this matter and other problems at this training center, or are you only responding to my most recent post? (That makes a difference -- there's lots of issues at hand here.)

First of all, I don't accept that these schools don't have the capability, know-how, etc., to update these websites.

This particular school has two qualified, full time IT staff on board (in fact the "Vice President" to whom Martin and I refer to used to be one of them!), who are quite willing to do whatever they are instructed to do by management. I could give you a list of various tasks and functions they perform for the boss.

A few other problems with your argument...

If you visit the webpage, you will see photos of "Mary" and "William" who came to Nasdaken in April and departed in June. When Mary's and William's photos were added to the page, Stacy, Jason, Landon, Eric, had all long since left. Why couldn't their photos be removed at the same time Mary's and William's photos were being added???

Do you happen to work for training schools in China? I do, and while they have their positive aspects (mainly the students) they certainly are loaded with negative qualities. Misleading and false information being one of them.

The center's course consultants are instructed to tell the students almost ANYTHING in order to get them to enroll (i.e. get their money). I could open a whole new thread about the outrageous promises I've seen course consultants have made to students during my three years in the training school business in China.

As I said in a earlier post, I worked for another training school here three years ago. They had a large photo of me on display inside the school, and they kept it there for almost a year after I had quit. They knew I was a teacher of decent reputation in this city, and so they were happy to allow people to believe/assume I was still teaching there. I finally had to threaten them with legal action to get them to remove it.

If you worked long and hard for a training school, and left feeling rather disgruntled (I'm referring to a number of the teachers featured on the Nasdaken webpage) how would you feel about your photo being used as a marketing tool to lure new customers? I don't like it, and I doubt they (the eight who have departed) do either.

Chuck, you state that students probably don't care about this. Perhaps you're right; but former teachers DO CARE.

These training centers have LOTS of money to build, create, change something when they WANT to. They have eager IT staff willing to do just about whatever managers ask them to do.

The ONLY reason you don't see my photo among the others on the website is because I refuse to allow training schools to photograph my for this very reason (as I said, I learned from experience).

I allow students to take my photo all they like, but not the school. They can only make money from this "dancing bear" while I am on the payroll, not after I'm long gone and they've stopped paying me.

Please tell me about your current working situation in China; then perhaps I can understand your feelings and/or reasoning.

I've spent hours and hours talking and talking (and talking...) with managers about such problems, and hours composing public postings about these problems as well. Obviously, these are not frivolous issues to me, so please be careful about minimizing other people's issues while you are "musing," OK?

Thanks.

#4 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-24
Websites, etc. - Teachers Discussion

I mentioned websites a few days ago, Aug. 18th, in a post called "Websites."

I grew up doing research in books, journals and in person, and I still have a hard time relying completely on the internet and on websites for accurate information. Websites can be a bit misleading, and even deceitful, even though the point of the net is for up-to-date info.

I guess don't I have an issue if a language center website isn't updated every time a new teacher is hired. Who's responsible for the update? A teacher, the DOS, the manager, an office assistant? Don't give it to me, I wouldn't know how! Anyway, website programs have access codes to allow changes, and sometimes there are limits on the number and types of changes that can be made. Also, who cares? Students that look at the website see happy smiling foreign faces and are usually satisfied with that. If they say, "I don't see my teachers picture on the site," they just get the usual explanation that we haven't updated it for a while, but will soon.

It just seems to me that most websites need a yearly update anyway, because of changes in services or prices, so why not just do it then? Do any of the students really highly scrutinize these sites anyway? If I were a prospective student, I would be more interested in their services and costs than the names of their current teachers.

Just today's musing.

#5 Parent Frank - 2006-08-24
Nasdaken obviously DOESN'T CARE - Teachers Discussion

After months of complaining DIRECTLY to the "Vice President" of Nasdaken about this website problem, I finally went public about it on 4 June 2006 ("and another thing...") in this thread.

On their website, Nasdaken continues to display photos of ten foreign teachers; EIGHT of whom no longer work there (and haven't for several months now). One of them, Jason returned to Australia in December, 2005; but he's still pictured as teaching at Nasdaken!

I then brought the problem to the attention of Martin, the new Head teacher at Nasdaken, in yet another post on 1 August 2006. No reply from Martin or response the problem.

Anyone reading this thread can see that I have monitored this peristant problem every week since (and made weekly updated posts), and no action has been taken.

I tried to give Nasdaken and Martin -- who claims he has power and influence in problem-solving, and has also improved/solved a number of conditions and problems at Nasdaken -- the benefit of the doubt. But it's obvious, THEY DON'T CARE!

See for yourself:

This type of misleading information (or downright FALSE ADVERTISING) is quite annoying and unethical.

Based on this situation, it seems precious little has actually changed at Nasdaken since I left there this past June. It's "business-as-usual" over there.

#6 Parent Frank - 2006-08-17
Martin? Where For Art Thou, Martin? - Teachers Discussion

Martin? Where for art thou, Martin?

Another week has passed, and just like the Energizer Bunny, the problem just keeps going and going and going

Eight out of ten teachers whose photos are displayed on Nasdakens website
have long since departed:

- Jason returned to Australia December, 2005
- Stacy angrily departed this past January
- Eric and Landon left Nasdaken with very bitter feelings in March
- Mary-Kate and William returned to Ireland in May, after completing only three months of the 12-month contract. In other words, their photos have been on display longer than they actually worked for Nasdaken!
- Rod and Scott have left in recent months for other shores

That only leaves Bash, who is full time; and part-timer Anthony (who Im told has cut his teaching time drastically) as the only people represented on the website that presently teach at Nasdaken.

So Martin, where is your photo???

This situation is annoying and ridiculous, and highly misleading!!!

Can you NOT do something about this persistent problem, or is the Vice President too embarrassed to display only three photos (yours included)?

#7 Parent Frank - 2006-08-09
Keeping a watchful eye... - Teachers Discussion

Hello, again, Martin!

A week has passed since I responded to you In your post of August 1, you said:

Your [Frank] worst enemy in this school (the Vice President) is my good friend. I think this difference between you and me helps me run this school better now, than it was before.

and

Problems are now dealt with through me and things, I sincerely hope, are running better than when you were there.

In my reply, I said that I believe that you have made some genuine, positive changes in the long-running problems at Nasdaken.

I also alerted you to a troubling problem on Nasdakens website where eight out of ten advertised foreign teachers are no longer working there (some for more than ten months now). Since you say you have some actual power to address and solve problems (and since the VP is your good friend), I asked you to please arrange for these eight photos to be removed from the website. After all, Im sure you and Nasdaken would not want to be involved in any sort of false advertising. But, alas, the photos remain! A cache of ten foreign faces, happily serving your needs at Nasdaken, but eight of whom are presently in countries on the other side of the world. Except Stacy, who first began this thread by ranting loudly against the place, is perhaps still in China. How interesting that her photograph remains but there's no photo of you... Nice to see your influence with the VP, and your power in problem-solving on display!

I'll check the website again a week from now.

And by the way, where is that staff room you referred to earlier? During all of my time there (six months) I never saw any staff room. Hey, hows that new fridge working out for you and the rest of the staff???

#8 Parent Frank - 2006-08-04
Thanks, and best wishes to you (from my "bad mouth") - Teachers Discussion

Hello, Martin!

I would have replied sooner, but I just now came upon your responding post to me, and others. Thank you for your thoughtful and measured words. I appreciate it.

I too, have nothing against you, and I sincerely wish you success and happiness at Nasdaken. I continue to receive e-mail messages from students asking me to come back and teach them again. I always enjoyed a fantastic relationship with the wonderful students there, and I miss them very much!

Yes, I have been bad-mouthing the school, but this is a very recent decision and action on my part, after having a close association with the school since it opened in early 2005. (I spent two months meeting with and advising them before it opened as well). The owner and Vice President and I worked in another school together (where the VP was one of two IT assistants) prior to Nasdaken, since 2003. Clearly, I have long and continuing history with them. The owner and I remain friends. Just two weeks ago, he invited me (much to my surprise) for lunch, and we enjoyed a wonderful time together.

He knows my true feelings about his school, so we avoided the subject at lunch. I always brought my grievances to him (and the Vice President) first, before sharing them with anyone else. The owner may not always like me, but I think he respects my honesty. He knows I never lied to him about anything, and always gave him plenty of chances to solve the problems before I lost my temper. (And for the record readers, Ive never become angry with my students, only management.)

I decided to bad-mouth Nasdaken because I had voiced ALL of my complaints to them over and over and over again privately (and without anger) since the place opened. (I was the first FT hired there.) I gave them so many chances to remedy situations before going public. All they did was ignore me.

I accept that the vice president is your good friend, but I have a LONG history with him and know some details about his true character that I have to assume he has not shared with you. Personally, I find the guy to be completely unqualified to be vice president (whatever that means in China!) of anything, especially an enterprise has something to do with English education and one that engages foreigners.

It sounds like you (and only you) have made some genuine improvements in the place and applaud you for that. I have a request for you also Martin I just checked the Nasdaken website, and a troubling problem still exists. The teaching staff page displays photos of ten foreign teachers (wheres yours?), eight of whom I know for a fact are no longer working there (some of them departed more then eight months ago). Will you please see that these photos are removed? This is a prime example of why I no longer allow training schools to take photos of me. Our faces are often used as a selling point long after our bodies have flown far away. Thanks! Ill check on that problem again in the future.

In the meantime, sincere best wishes to you and many of my colleagues (Chinese and foreign) who are still there (although the numbers are steadily dwindling).

Regards,

Frank

#9 Parent Martin - 2006-08-02
Subtle extensions of the truth - Teachers Discussion

Dear Frank and anyone else reading this thread,

I am the young head teacher of Nasdaken and after working there nearly 2 months I must disagree with many of the things you say, although I do agree with many of them to some extent.

You said "At Nasdaken, 18 (!!!) part-time foreign teachers share one small glass office, with three computers (one of which has never worked). With so many teachers coming in and out, the materials are strewn everywhere, and teaching material is often missing (if it ever existed in the first place)."

This was true but there were never more than 6 or 7 teachers in the office at one time. I also asked the computer guy to fix the computers, which he did, and now we have 5 fully working computers, with no internet problems, access to b&w and colour printers and other software (whatever I ask for) installed on them. The materials were 'strewn everywhere', it was really annoying. It's because all the materials were just white sheets in plastic wallets. We've replaced half of these so far with books now and the mess, I spent a few hours cleaning up all the mess that all us teachers had left lying round (with help from about 4 of the Chinese staff).

Teaching materials missing. True, it has been a problem, but you know that you just need to look hard and you'll find something. I've never had to go into a lesson with no materials. Most of our materials, as you know, are full lesson plans with topics, articles, comprehension questions, discussion questions, grammar exercises, role plays and so on. I've also been creating some quality colour flashcards (to replace the low quality b&w ones) for the beginner level.

I've asked the school for 2 dictionaries, a thesaurus, a clock and even a fridge for the staff room and we're getting them all.

Problems are now dealt with through me and things, I sincerely hope, are running better than when you were there.

I do agree that the foreign teachers have little space compared to the Chinese managers but it's not that bad. I'm currently trying to help this problem and the school has agreed to help. I think they acknowledge the problem.

Of course they introduce prospective clients to the teachers. They mostly don't disturb you, only if they need to (because they know we don't like it). Of course sometimes we need to chat to a prospective student, this is a language school! It can be quite repetitive and boring but we need students to pay our wages!

I've never had any argument with you Frank, and I don't have anything against you now aside from the way you're bad mouthing my school. I understand the problems you've had with things like communication. It's a problem in all cross cultural situations, not just at Nasdaken!

Finally, about our contract. You noticed that the pay offered has gone down, true. But this is because the contract has completely changed. There were 25 hours a week with no holidays or other benefits. Now there is only 20 hours a week with many benefits (travel, accommodation, insurance and holiday time). I made the new contract and it is balanced when compared to the old one.

In the school we have a much better group mentality rather than the 18 people coming, doing their thing, leaving the mess and then leaving!

Of course it's not perfect, far from it! However, you also know, Frank, that a really great thing about the school is the students. They are mainly adults (people in their 20's) paying and totally full of enthusiasm for the most part. I love going to the computer room and chatting with them and helping them as they work.

Rumour has it that you are a great teacher Frank. I don't doubt it at all. Rumour also has it that you have a hot temper! You seem to have had reason to be, unfortunately, but I hope things are better now. Your worst enemy in this school (the Vice President) is my good friend. I think this difference between you and me helps me run this school better now, than it was before.

#10 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-07-15
Well, to be frank again, Frank - Teachers Discussion

Frank, I appreciate your replies. Your input is very informative. However, you caught me here about a year too late. I'm done, man. I don't care about this ESOL thing enough anymore to worry about it. The reality has pretty much drenched my fire-in-the-belly passion. A reality that sees me playing all the non-teaching roles these businesses-posing-as-schools expect me to play.

In a way, I'm now the ultimate ESOL hypocrite. I came into this with the idea that I'd save students from the capitalist meat grinder. Now I'm finding that not only am I actually FEEDING that grinder, many here actually WANT to be fed into it. What makes me a hypocrite is I stay in it now that I know the truth. Well, that's gonna get fixed real soon.

Perhaps I can land some sort of position in North Korea? Nah. I bet the shop keepers in even NK wear the Coca-cola aprons.

There's no escaping the market system. These countries many of us teach in are nothing but colonies meant to be exploited by the western powers.
Our efforts here make that exploitation easier for those powers. Well, I'm having nothing of it. I'm gone, brother.

#11 Parent mj - 2006-07-14
the chinese way - Teachers Discussion *Link*

it's really depressing that chinese peope would expect us to talk regarding to their pace. how could they learn english if they would just instruct us to speak slowly and we dont have the choice but to abhor with their request.

my point is that, it's a one way learning, they learn from us but we don't, i mean speaking wise. we have to go back to the basic just fro them to understand us.

#12 Parent Frank - 2006-07-14
More "Chinese," please... - Teachers Discussion

Rheno,

I have to be careful how I say this publically... because I run a great risk of being misunderstood (story of my life). I am different from most other FTs I encounter in that I choose to spend most of my social time with Chinese students and friends. It's through these wonderful friendships that I stand the best chance of understanding Chinese culture, history, and mentality a little more each day. In my mind, after three years here, I don't have much trouble adapting to things here socially (I've given up lots of Western culture comforts without much effort); but in doing business, I'm far less flexible; downright rigid at times.

So, when these stalemates/gridlocks/head-butts occur between me and school "managers" and "administrators," sometimes a manager, student, or friend (rarely, thank God!) makes the grave mistake of saying to me: "You're too American! You should try to be more Chinese," I go bananas!

I quickly point out to them that the very reason Chinese schools and students (I can't speak for the PRC government) want us to come is because WE ARE NOT CHINESE. If we were Chinese, no one would give us a job, and few students would care what we have to impart. It makes me crazy that they seek us out for our FOREIGN-ness, but when when things become dicey, it's out with the "Try to be more Chinese!" Ay-yah!

Rheno,

I have lots to say about your post, but in some ways I wish we could do some of it privately. Would you mind contacting me via email?

Did you catch my latest posts on the "School Reviews" page?

#13 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-07-14
Those annoying mindsets the powers push us to adopt - Teachers Discussion

Frank, it sounds like those guys took off. Nice post, btw.

When I started at my TESOL mill, I was immediately pelted with propaganda. I only suspected at that time it WAS indeed just that, but I figured out in a hurry there are certain "mindsets" in TESOL that the industry pushes hard for teachers to adopt. The propaganda we see is the "pushing". Lots of industries use these mindsets to establish a certain standard and even maintain stability. The only problem is if one thinks outside the mindset, he'll be cast as a charlatan and pressured to get out.

One mindset I was/am expected to fall into line and accept is the "doing a runner is BAD, and anyone doing a runner is worse than SATAN" bullshit. You know what I'm talking about. This mindset makes us more dependent on recruiters.

Another is the "clowning is an acceptable education technique, and those who don't keep smiles on faces are BAD teachers". Whatever. Maybe clowning works for some, but I don't use it and do just fine. This mindset keeps teachers in classrooms and off airplanes going back home. Their students fool them into believing they're learning, so the teachers believe their efforts are worth it.

And of course there is the trusty ol' "a TESOL cert makes one a teacher. One teaching without a TESOL cert or (especially) one teaching on a FAKE cert is an individual who should be burned at the stake" horseshit. Yeah, you know some of the TESOL powers that be want us to view users of fakes as something far more evil than a Hitler-Stalin-Vlad the impaler hybrid. Same with runners.

#14 Parent Frank - 2006-07-13
Speaking of "runners"... and "happy" full timers - Teachers Discussion

Hey, Rheno,

Speaking of "runners," you initiated a thread on June 21 which spoke of the "evil" perceptions of doing "runners." I chimed in on the subject (adding to your thread) on July 1. Did you see it?

I found it necessary to do a 'runner" once, and I have zero feelings of regret or guilt about it. In fact (as I failed to mention in the earlier posting), the crooked guy I was running from in Suchuan contacted me by email (it took him almost two days to discover I had fled right under his crooked nose) and threatened to "hunt me down like a dog." That was the final proof that I had done the right (and far from "evil") thing. Again, I'm with you!

As for the postings from Cian... Again, I don't want to engage in anything terse with him because he is a genuinely good guy and I believe his feelings are sincere.

But for the other readers, I want to clarify something. He say he talked to former full timers who claimed the experience as Nasdaken was OK, but I mystified as to whom he is referring. I have some level of relationship with all full time FTs who have passed through the place since they opened their doors in March, 2005 (with moi as the first and only teacher at the time).

Following my departure after one month (I returned 11 months later as a part-timer after receiving a frantic e-mail plea from the owner -- moments after I "ran" from Sichuan), these are the full time teachers that followed:

- Two guys from Canada who finished their 12-month contract, but were very infuriated with the place after about two months (I made reference to them in an earlier posting).

- A friendly and dedicated teacher from Australia who returned home suddenly due to family illness, never to return.

- Young, American Stacy (we all know her horror stories from her original thread!)

- A warm and inteligent young teacher from Ghana (who is still there, but fairly miserable). The school refused to help him with his visa in Nanjing, so he had to go to Hong Kong. Nasdaken agreed to cover 50% of the cost, but refused reimbursement after he returned. While in Hong Kong, he ran short of money (he had been in Nasdaken's employment for a few months at this point) and contacted them for help. They refused. I ended up wiring him the needed funds.

- A vibrant young couple from Ireland, whom everyone loved, but they departed for home (due to personal reasons) after only serving three months of their 12-month contract (or "glass prison" sentence -- however one chooses to look at it). I seriously doubt they miss the place very much.

- And most recently (and aforementioned) the new, young head teacher who began at the school on June 12 of this year.

I really don't know who Cian is talking about when he says some former full time teachers said they were "happy." Where are they now? Whomever they are, and wherever they are, they're not at Nasdaken today!

#15 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-07-13
Sounds like I'd sign a contract today.... - Teachers Discussion

That school sounds like a place where I'd sign a contract today and be doing a runner next week. Or even later this week. That's right. I said "runner".

You can now start hissing and swearing at that evil demon-dog Rheno for telling people doing a runner ISN'T evil.

#16 Parent Cian - 2006-07-12
A long (and possibly pointless?) reply - Teachers Discussion

Hey Frank,
I hope you're doing well wherever you are and whatever you're doing. I have no doubt that you have more experience in this matter than I do, but having said that I have spoken to full time teachers (who have since left) and they did in all honesty tell me that they were happy enough with the school. I concede the point that my own personal experience was probably rosier than others, as I was only part time.

When I first arrived in China one of the first pieces of advice given to me was to go over any offered contract with a fine tooth comb, (as with any contract really, but moreso in China) and either accept, negotiate or refuse it. If the school breaks the contract, walk out, or better still, tell all of your students that you are leaving and tell them why you're leaving. Nothing terrifies private schools like Nasdaken more than a bad image. It's not very professional, but neither is breaking a contract. Most schools in China will walk all over you if you allow them.

Stacy's story is certainly an awful one, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but when you see cracks in the ceiling, get out of the house. It's easy for any native English speaker to find work in China. Also, the lack of resources in a school in China is pretty much old news. You have to make the most of what you've got. If anyone comes across a school that has perfect teaching conditions and ample resources for each and every one of their teachers, let me know ;)

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not out to defend Nasdaken. I would definitely agree with Stacy's point about talking to other foreign teachers before signing a contract. This would apply to any teaching job in China. Also, the conditions and treatment she received are certainly unacceptable. Franks' points about the teaching materials (or lack thereof), the glass "cage" (which
I must point out I didn't mind, although I did only spend a fraction of the time in there compared to the full time teachers) and the computer situation are all 100% accurate. The other side of the coin is that I have worked in much worse conditions.

Sorry for the long reply but if it helps anyone who is considering teaching in China, then maybe it was worth the effort to read:)

#17 Parent Frank - 2006-07-11
I say "Hmmmmm..." also, but for different reasons - Teachers Discussion

Cian,

I know you a little and I think you're a terrific guy and probably a good teacher, but sorry, I have to strongly disagree about you with regards to Nasdaken. Yes, I never had any trouble being paid, but that is not my sole criteria for what makes a professional school (although it certainly helps!).

When you say you have talked to many full time teachers who tell you they are "happy," I'm a little confused...

Presently, the school only has two full timers. One is the new head teacher, joining Nasdaken only one month ago. The other one perhaps will tell you -- at Nasdaken -- he is "happy" there, but I know him well, and indeed, he is not!

All other full time teachers employed since 2005 have gotten the hell outta there!!! (Stacy included) Did you know them -- especially the two guys from Canada? They would tell perspective teachers quite openly and pointedly (and loudly) at Nasdaken, not to dare sign a contract with the school.

As for the "friendly and open" managers... don't get me started!

I'm glad you had (are having?) a good experience with Nasdaken, but for me, I would never recommend anyone take a full time job there (for the reasons I detailed in an earlier posting on this string).

Best wishes... Frank

#18 Parent Cian - 2006-07-11
Hmmmm - Teachers Discussion

I'd like to contribute to this post by saying that I have also worked in Nasdaken school and I've never had any problem with them, although I was only part time. Having said that, I spoke to many of the full time teachers and they all seemed happy with the school. The staff and management were all friendly and open, and I always got paid in full and promptly. I don't want to detract anything from your experience Stacy, but I feel that the way you were treated is not the norm in that school. I have worked in 4 other schools in and around Nanjing and I have found Nasdaken to be one of the most professional.

#19 Parent Frank - 2006-06-04
...and another thing - Teachers Discussion

Also, on the Nasdaken website (which contains a button for the English version, but no such version exists), the page which displays the foreign teacher staff at Nasdaken (http://www.nasdaken.com/szll.asp) boasts photos of ten foreign teachers, six of whom are no longer working there (and a seventh teacher leaving soon).

This is a sterling example of why I do not allow these training schools to use my photo because the first training school I taught for continued to display LARGE photos of me up to a year after I had stopped working for them. I think they only took it down after I threatened them with legal action.

These training schools, from my triple experience, seem to invest as much energy in figuring out how to deceive customers, and penalize teachers and staff, as they do in actually delivering quality services.

#20 Parent Frank - 2006-06-04
In support of Stacy and her statements about Nasdaken - Teachers Discussion

I was the first foreign teacher hired by Nasdaken when they first opened their doors in March, 2005. The owner had known me for two years -- in a school he previously owned -- as a hard-working, dedicated teacher. He invited me to be the first teacher in his new venture. I spent two months prior to the opening of Nasdaken carefully advising him on what to do, and NOT to do, in working with foreign teachers, and effective (and poor) practices in English education. (The owner does not speak English.)

When Nasdaken opened, it was like I had never said anything to him, and all policies and precedures were exactly the same as the training school, which was a nightmare for foreign teachers. Needless to say, after one month, I quit and returned to America.

I returned to another area of China five months later, and eleven months after departing Nasdaken, the owner begged me (via e-mail) to return to Nasdaken stating: "The students need you!" (This plea also came at the same time Stacy was having tremendous problems with Nasdaken regarding poor housing, rent payments, etc.)

Again, before I agreed to return to Nasdaken to teach I had several careful negotiations. As Stacy said, at this time, all the qualified Chinese staff (the ones would had some decent command of English and understanding of foreign teachers) had all quit. This situation left us with a group of unqualified managers who can't speak English (and therefore have no understanding of the student's challenges), and have no understanding of how to work harmoniously with foriegn teachers. Nasdaken follows the archaic Chinese model of control and financial punishment -- which all foriegners know, DOES NOT WORK.

After three years of teaching in China, I now firmly feel that based on my experience in three training schools, that these enterprises are not much more than glorified whorehouses for foreign teachers.

At Nasdaken, 18 (!!!) part-time foreign teachers share one small glass office, with three computers (one of which has never worked). With so many teachers coming in and out, the materials are strewn everywhere, and teaching material is often missing (if it ever existed in the first place).

The Chinese staff all have their own desks and dedicated work stations (computer, etc.) to work peacefully. The foreign teachers office is nothing ut a glass zoo cage for foreign teachers to be displayed for new customers and prospective students like different foreign species of animals. He is our "teacher from Ireland;" "He is our teacher from Canada;" "She is our teacher from Australia," etc. (The foreign teacher is expected to wave and smile at the new customer.)

In recent months, Nasdaken saw fit to open Japanese classes. The two teachers who provide these lessons (one Japanese man; one Chinese man) have their own desks and computers and can work without disturbance -- to prepare one (or maybe two classes a day).

The 18 foreign English teachers must do whatever they can to find suitable material, proper preparation space and time to prepare sometimes as many as five classes a day. Foreign English teachers never know what topics they are teaching until they arrive that day for work.

Tell me this is not discrimination?!?!?

With each passing day, the foreign teacher office situation grew worse and worse and more and more intolerable. Despite my chronic pleas, the managers in Nasdaken did abolutely NOTHING to remedy the situation.

However, they are very good at swift action deducting salary if they feel you have not given a "vivid" lesson (as if they would know -- and as if they helped you with materials, preparation); or asking you for cooperation if they want YOU to do something for THEM.

While they are smiling at you and telling you that you will not receive full salary, a consultant is passing by with a group of new customers saying; "This is Frank, he is our teacher from AMERICA!"
It's sickening!

I am very sorry I ever agreed to return to Nasdaken. I love teaching in China, but I will never work for another English training school again. (Or should I say English whorehouse?)

#21 Parent Stacy - 2006-05-12
Reply - Teachers Discussion

To respond to your post, I will be more specific. I guess I didn't make myself clear. They didn't take the money from me, they just refused to pay me the money I worked for. They refused to pay me for half a month's salary and for two months rent. I tried to have several discussions with them, but they were unwilling to talk to me. Yes, I did absolutely everything that they required of me as a full time teacher. When I quit, they asked me to stay as a part time teacher. I continued to work as a part time teacher for them for several months to try and keep a good relationship, so I would be paid. However, as soon as I became persistant about being paid, the school stopped calling me to be a part time teacher. As far as the breaking of the contract, I will be more specific about the violations. First, my contract said that I would be paid a monthly allowance for my rent. I was not paid this allowance for two months. Second, my contract said that all teaching materials would be available to me. Many to the materials were lost and not available. When I asked for replacements, they were not given. Third, my contract said that I would be paid my full monthly salary on the fifth of the following month. The school withheld half of my first month's salary and said it would be paid when I finished my contract. This was no where in my contract. Last, my contract said that I would have my own computer. I was never given a computer and had to share one with five other teachers. It was difficult to get my work done and prepare good lessons, when I could not use a computer. Maybe these violations seem simple to others, but combined they made working for this school a nightmare for me. While I was there, the school had to replace the foreign teacher's coordinator three times because they kept on quiting. They expected me to live in an apartment, which I shared with two rats. From my experience teaching abroad, these circumstances are unacceptable. I have done everything I can to get the money I am owed. I hope that other teachers are careful. Make sure that you talk to another foreign teacher who works at the school you want to work at before you sign a contract. If I had talked to the teachers who worked at Nasdaken, I would have know that the school was not good and I would have found another job.

#22 Parent American in Nanjing - 2006-05-08
response - Teachers Discussion

You say they "took over $1000 USD from me". For them to have taken it from you means that at one time you had it in your possession. This suggests that the funds aren't unpaid earned compensation, or if the money was earned compensation then why did you give it back to them? WHY did you give them this money?!
In what ways, specifically, did they "break" your contract, not once, but "four diferent times" during the mere four month period you worked for them? Did you fully comply with the terms of the contract on your end? Your remarks are rather vague, generalized, and wholly unsubstantiated with any specifics, as such it is difficult to find credibility in your claims.
Lastly, what is this company, "WITT China", please? Can you provide some contact information for them?
Thank you very much for your consideration.

#23 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-04-09
Have you posted this warning on Raoul's site? - Teachers discussion
Stacy - 2006-04-08
Nasdaken International English - Teachers discussion

I wanted to warn anyone looking for a job in Nanjing China to be careful of a company named Nasdaken International English. This company took over $1000 USD from me during the four month period I worked for them and broke my contract four different times. Please STAY AWAY from this company. If you are looking for a good job in Nanjing with an excellent company, I would suggest WITT China.

Return to Index › Nasdaken International English - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -