TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › What the helllllll - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-27
Outrageous Ads - Teachers Discussion

Yikes!

I think the first one Frank listed is the one that started this discussion, and seems the worst of the two.

Note that they specify that you must already be holding a Z visa...they don't even want to be troubled to get you a visa so you can come get their lousy 3K a month!

I know a Filipina teacher working at a school...not sure what to make of the fact that it's in the same province. The school has completely refused to provide her with a Z Visa or Residence and Work Permits...even though her Big 7 colleagues got them no problem. She also earns considerably less for teaching the same schedule as the others.

These things are absolutely intolerable. THEY ONLY HAPPEN BECAUSE SO FAR THE SCHOOLS AND RECRUITERS HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET AWAY WITH THEM! I hope that people will be aware enough to not take them in the first place. You can't always see them in advance...if you find yourself in such a position, and complaining doesn't work, I hope you'll have the means and the faith to walk away and find something better.

We talked elsewhere about teacher solidarity. If you're a Big 7 teacher, and you see these things happening in your school, I hope you'll have the courage and the humanity to stand together and stop it.
(Yes, I like to think I would. I sure hope so...)

#2 Parent Frank - 2006-08-26
Yeah, maggie, it seems there are no limits... - Teachers Discussion

Yeah, Maggie, it seems there are no limits to what recruiters will post here (and try to get away with).

Actually, there are TWO recent posting that are outrageous and/or and/or disturbing and/or disgusting. The exploitative, racist, unethical and possibly abusive implications of what could be going on in these two situations are layers deep.

Here are the two ads in question:

African teacher with Z visa Needed now - English job offered

Posted By: Shandong School <renhuaimin@yahoo.com>
Date: 24 August 2006

Our School is located in Xintai city (about one and half hour from Jinan city, Shandong Province), it is for primary students, we need a teacher from Ghana, Camerroon, South Africa,Nigeria NOW, the teacher must have hold Z visa (working Visa),the school will pay RMB3000/month, accommodation provided, work five days and rest two days,if you are available now, please first give us a call by 0532 82786069, and you can then send your documents TO: renhuaimin@yahoo.com Soon

AND

5 FEMALES AFRICANS urgently NEEDED IN LIANYUNGANG,NANJING CITY - English job offered

Posted By: my china teachers <mychinateachers@yahoo.com>
Date: 23 August 2006

5 FEMALE AFRICANS ARE URGENTLY NEEDED IN LIANYUNGANG,NANJING CITY.THE SALARY IS 4000RMB FOR A YEAR CONTRACT.APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FROM AFRICAN FEMALES WHO ARE READY TO GO ASAP.LET ME HEAR FROM YOU SOON.CALL COLLINS ON 13724826391 FOR FURTHER DETAILS.HOPE TO MEET YOU SOON.BYE

#3 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-08-26
Right On Maggie! - Teachers Discussion *Link*

Hey Maggie!

He's all 3...stupid, racist, and dumb. "Stupid" and "dumb" are kinda redundant, so maybe substitute "crooked" or "greedy" or some such for one of them.

The bottom rung of school owners has begun to get wise to the fact that there are a lot of would-be teachers in China who don't happen to have white faces or come from the Big 7 English-speaking countries.

Regardless of qualifications or status as a native speaker, largely for race reasons a lot of these teachers struggle to find work in China. They'll work for lower salaries, take higher workloads, accept poorer conditions, and and are less likely to challenge dishonest behavior than their Big 7 counterparts.

This is a pretty attractive proposition for those owners who want to pay obscenely low salaries, put teachers in substandard living and working environments, and rip people off for salary, benefits, and workloads.

So, sadly, these ads that specify Africans, Filipinos, Indians, Pakistanis, and so on are just shorthand for "We want to find someone we can pay like dirt, treat like dirt, and rip off with impunity." Maggie, you're complaining quite rightly about 3000 per month. I've seen similar ads offering 1500 per month! Of course, no one should ever EVER respond to such an ad except maybe to curse them out.

And, in general, DON'T WORK WITH RECRUITERS! The guy Maggie saw wants to cultivate a stable of cheap victim teachers he can tout to different schools. This is just one aspect of the recruiter mentality. Do yourself a favor and never respond to any ad placed by a recruiting agency. If you can't talk to someone directly at the school you don't want to work there. There are a million job listings in China; go and find one for yourself. It may be harder if you aren't Big 7, but YOU CAN DO IT!

maggie - 2006-08-26
What the helllllll - Teachers Discussion

How can a so called recruiter on this site, dare say he needs African teachers with Z visas to whom he would pay 3000 rmb as salary for teaching per month!!!!!!Is he stupid,racist or just dumb?
To all these charlartan "recruiters",watch the adverts you put up here.
:( :( :(

Return to Index › What the helllllll - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -