TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › A moving discussion, with an uncanny coincidence... - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Phil - 2006-09-04
Chuck the Psychic - Teachers Discussion

Frank
Thanks very much for that. I'm a bit busy earning the money to get me home at the moment but, when i have the time, i'll certainly respond.

Just one point that i would like to defend myself on. The course was advertised as being in Dongguan, not Chaotou, which is why i took the bus to Dongguan and not Chaotou( which has a bus station), although it would have been far easier to go directly to Chaotou. One teacher had to pay a non-refundable 165 yuan for a taxi from Dongguan to Chaotou.

Where does Chuck actually work, as i have never known him reveal this information. If he does actually work in China, perhaps he would be kind enough to tell us where, as it sounds so wonderful that i want to go - now!

#2 Parent Frank - 2006-09-02
Chuck's Book Club - Teachers Discussion

Whats up, Chuck?

Even though according to you, Im short-sighted, narrow-minded, and an Ugly American, living in my own little world, I took your advice and begin looking for copy of Jan Wongs memoir China Blues. It wasnt so easy in the beginning because the real title of the tome is Red China Blues (hint: its always best to know the full title of book when one is recommending it as essential reading to others).

I found some excerpts from Wongs book, and while her accounts of such devout, Maoist activities as hauling pig manure and her resulting personal-political revelations are compelling, again, I fail to see how reading this book would have helped Phil navigate, negotiate, or better cope with his situation at the summer camp near Dongguan in any way. Please explain your logic.

As you have avoided all of my previous questions, I assume youll do so again

But for the sake my trying to understand you better, Chuck, what country do you come from?

Where do you teach in China? (a public institution or a private, for-profit training center, and in what location?)

For any of your students who were born after about 1976 (and I assume you have a few), you might also recommend reading Jan Wongs Red China Blues to them as well. Students of this generation are often as clueless about this era of Chinas history as any recently-arrived foreigner.

But again, how do Jan Wongs testimonies regarding her growing disillusionment with Maoist philosophies -- and her discoveries of their harsh, contradictory realities help young foreign teachers process and cope with unscrupulous and unethical school owners who dodge any educational/professional responsibilities in 2006? I truly fail to make the connection.

Please enlighten this short-sighted, narrow-minded, cloistered/sheltered, Ugly American!

#3 Parent Frank - 2006-09-02
All the best to you, Phil -- requested links provided - Teachers Discussion

Phil,

Thanks, and all best wishes to you!

As for your comments about foreign colleagues... I want to make something very clear to you and other readers: I LOVE China, and I LOVE Chinese people very much!

If these were not my true feelings, I would have left long ago. I just have little tolerance for poor, unprofessional, inept, exploitative, and/or unethical business practices (no matter which country such "antics" take place)!

As you requested:
Chucks post: Must definitely not a republican fundamentalist:
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl?read=5211

and my reply, Wow, Chuck, amazing!:
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl?read=5213

Happy trails...

Frank

#4 Parent Phil - 2006-09-02
Response to Frank - Teachers Discussion

Frank

1) Thank you for the article. There are some real horror stories out there (and i can believe every one of them. Actually, although i've had a few problems since i've been in China, i've been very lucky as i've always managed to sort things out (though not without a lot of stress along the way). However, i have been helped to an enormous extent by working with some foreigners who weren't prepared to lie down and take what was happening and also by my girlfriend, without whose translation i would have been well and truly sunk!

2) Please can you pass on the link for Chuck's article. I did try and have a look for it this morning, but couldn't find anything.

Best wishes

#5 Parent Frank - 2006-09-01
Phil, please do us a favor... - Teachers Discussion

Phil,

Before you depart from China, please do me a favor and respond to Chuck's post "Definitely not a Republican Fundamentalist" on the School Reviews page.

It seems Chuck has interpreted the inner-workings of your mind for the rest of us. I'd just like to know if his psychic skills are as sharp as his East/West diplomacy.

#6 Parent Frank - 2006-09-01
Phil, I understand! - Teachers Discussion

Hello, Phil,

Im very grateful that you took the time to respond and to clarify some issues. I had figured out some time back that the person in question was not a child, but one of the staff members who accused you physical abuse.

I agree with you that China is place to come and work only for about 6 months to one year; but I feel that is because of how jobs for foreign teachers are designed. For minimal wages, we are asked to work such heavy teaching loads, crazy schedules, live in sometimes substandard housing, tolerate late payment or creative deductions in salary, etc. (the list of "crimes" is endless) that long-term commitment seems impossible.

Im an older guy with years of previous teaching experience in America. I came to China in 2003 to be a teacher. I found the work to be much more rewarding than I could have imagined! The relationship I share with my students is very heart-warming, humorous, and productive.

I feel useful here; but that being said, Im with you. Most schools I work for are poorly-managed (at the very least) or downright deceptive and unethical in their practices. After three years of trial and error, I have just now landed a situation that I think will allow me to continue teaching in China for many years (my new bosses are also Americans). I sometimes tell my students, I love teaching in China, but I hate working in China!

I can understand why many younger foreign teachers want to leave China after a short time. I commend you sticking it out for two years. I was at what felt like my "break point" after two years. Theres simply too much frustration and heartache here. Finding light in the tunnel is a slow and sometimes infuriating process.

Please read KSs posting of BlakeSs story about his horrible experience with Kids Castle and the resulting discussion thread:
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=11752

(KS took BlakeSs post from Daves ESL Caf and brought it over to ESLTB)

Good luck to you, Phil, wherever you go

Frank

#7 Parent Phil - 2006-09-01
Response to Frank and Chuck - Teachers Discussion

I just wanted to clarify my story re Best Time International, as there seems to have been some confusion.

I did not hit anybody - child or adult. I was accused of having hit/grabbed one of the teachers round the head, but not one of the students. However, the story was evolving so rapidly that they probably would have accused me of this given enough time. As for the child in question (a young boy of about 10), i simply asked for him to be moved to another class, as he was about 3 years younger than all the rest, his English was non-existent and i thought that he would benefit from being moved to a lower grade class ( i had also asked the day before). The argument started because the Chinese teacher of the class concerned wasn't very happy about this (the English teacher was quite happy) and started shouting at me. I don't particularly appreciate being shouted at at any time, so i shouted back at her. Maybe with hindsight i shouldn't have done, but after 4 days of Best Time International i had pretty much stopped caring. If Chuck thinks that was unprofessional of me, then fair enough.

As for the rest of the post, though it wasn't a balanced representation of events, it was fair (i sent a weblink of the post to a guy who did the course with me and he didn't think it was inaccuarate). Chuck made a number of objections to what i had to say, which i don't have the time to respond to in detail. However, if he could have put up with all that i described for what i was being paid, then good luck to him. I don't think that my expectations for the course were unreasonable, but again, if anybody can teach for 8 hours a day with basically no facilities and only being able to eat cold mantou, then they are either truly dedicated or desperate.

As far as i am concerned, Best Time International were only in Chaotou to make as much money as possible, with little or no regard to how the course was actually to be run. Consequently, i think that i am perfectly entitled to criticise them. I cannot understand why this makes me a "jerk or how it would affect other foreigners teaching in China, but Chuck is entitled to his opinion, even though i think it's completely wrong. Incidentally, Chuck, i think the fact that they weren't paying the Chinese teachers was disgraceful. I wasn't surprised that they were unhelpful, but that didn't exactly help me.

As i said, i've been in China for 2 years and i've had to put up with some bizarre stuff. Now, i'm sure there are some pretty awful foreign teachers out there, but there are an awful lot of bad colleges and schools. In the case of the vast majority of postings on this website, i tend to believe the poster, as i know what China can be like. In my view, China is a place you come to for a short time to do a bit of travelling and then leave after 1 or 2 years: it is not a place to have a serious career (unless you work for an international school). The only reason that i've stayed as long as i have is because: a) i don't have the money to get home at the moment, and b) i have a Chinese girlfriend. Once i have the money, i will be leaving.

#8 Parent Frank - 2006-08-28
...and what are they for you??? - Teachers Discussion

I'm simply defending myself (and others) against your nasty and condescending swipes, Chuck/John.

If these posts are "therapy sessions" for me, what are these "daily musings" (as you call them) for you?
Target practice???

#9 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-28
Anything else, Frank? - Teachers Discussion

These threads often seem to be therapy sessions for you, Frank. So if there's anything else you want to vent about, let'r rip!

#10 Parent Frank - 2006-08-27
Yes, Chuck/John, you ARE sorry... - Teachers Discussion

Hello, Chuck, John, or whomever are you calling yourself today...

I too, have read ALL of your posts and you seem to relish in being oppositional to just about any and everything that someone else posts (whether or not you have any actual direct relationship to the experience or event they are discussing).

I have NO AGENDA. I just don't like people addressing others in such condescending, morally- and intellectually-superior tones.

You state: "In your short-sighted, narrow-minded ways you bring an untimely end to what could be interesting topics for discussion. In your little world..."

OK, so where is Phil? Why dosen't he wish to engage in your 'interesting topics for discussion'? As I recall, it was you who shut down the discussion and alientated the guy after you implied that he struck a girl, no?

As for calling me "short-sighted, narrow-minded," and living in own "little world," now that's what I call "ugly"!!!

In any of my replies to you, just like John, you have repeatedly failed to answer any of the questions I have posed to you, ever. So much for "interesting discussion!"

I look forward to reading your next "daily musings" as you call them, under any number of possible names/monikers/aliases that you happen to select that day.

Best wishes from your "Ugly American,"

Frank

#11 Parent Frank - 2006-08-27
Chuck/John's model method of sustaining an "interesting discussion" - Teachers Discussion

Chuck/John/Dave asserts:

"[Frank] Instead of creating dialogue, you shut it down. In your short-sighted, narrow-minded ways you bring an untimely end to what could be interesting topics for discussion."

OK!!!
Here's Phil's reply to Chuck's "discussion" techniques:
--------------------------------

Response to Chuck - ESL school review

Posted By: Phil
Date: 25 August 2006

In Response To: Response to Phil and his summer camp blues. - ESL school review (Chuck)

Glad that you have the time to write such a lengthly response to my e mail.

For your information, i spent 6 months teaching in a primary school before i did this summer camp. As for your suggestion that i hit a small child, that is just beneath contempt.

I wish you every success in the future in China.

----------------

Wow, and Chuck claims that it is ME that "shuts down" dialogues???

OK!

#12 Parent Chuck - 2006-08-27
I'm sorry Frank. - Teachers Discussion

I'm sorry Frank, but I'm not John. I don't know who John is, nor do I care. But I can't think of any way of convincing you of that. Nor will I try.

Frank, I've read many of your other postings, and it seems you have a habit of trying to turn messages around to suit your agenda. Instead of creating dialogue, you shut it down. In your short-sighted, narrow-minded ways you bring an untimely end to what could be interesting topics for discussion. In your little world, you see things as only right and wrong, and anybody that has an ever-so-slightly different viewpoint as you is considered to be wrong.

And Frank, as far as the smart alecky tone in your posts, well, that's what defines an "Ugly American."

Frank - 2006-08-26
A moving discussion, with an uncanny coincidence... - Teachers Discussion

Chuck, Phil, and others

I am moving and continuing this discussion/debate thread here to the ESL Discussion Forum page of ESLTB for two reasons:

1) The thread no longer has much to do with any particular school (it started out about Best Time International/Dongguan see School Reviews page) and;

2) I felt this debate would become buried under the subject heading of the school in question, and would therefore be missed by a number of regular readers.

I have included Chucks posting at the end of my post to provide some context. Enjoy!

OK, Chuck! Lets discuss a few of your statements and/or points

Remember, its a business first for the managers and owners, just like selling cars, real estate, or pots and pans. But English is the product, and you and I and Frank and Tom, Dick and Harry are the real sales staff.

Sorry, uh, no.
THEY are the real sales staff, WE (the foreign teachers) are the COMMODITY. And as for its a business first that is exactly what Phil and I are talking about. They are involved in business, they seem to do nothing but solicit and take the money. That seems to be the extent of their business. All the rest seems to be entirely up to the foreign teacher.

Another quote: Phil, I wasn't the one that accused you of hitting a child

No, but, you suggested that perhaps he had. (Phil, am I correct?)

Frank, after spending the last 29 and 3/4 years teaching on four different continents, I think I've seen a lot. A lot of good teachers and bad, a lot of good situations and bad. A lot of good managers, business people, and politicians, and a lot of bad.

What exactly are you saying here, Chuck; that you are 29 years-old, or that you have been a teacher for 29 years??? And, does 29 years of age or experience give you a higher level of insight and understanding than the rest of us?

You continue: I learned a long time ago that the accuracy and truth lies somewhere in the middle between the two sides. And its usually nowhere to be found in emotionally charged situations.

Again, I heartily disagree! I think sometimes theres plenty of truth revealed in emotionally-charged situations. Its all the endless discussion and rhetoric that is more often a waste of time, and usually only leads to more rhetoric. Rhetoric is not always truth, sometimes its just a lot of wind-bag theory.

Again, you continue (I love this one): Just because somebody is a foreign teacher, and just because he's said he's been done wrong by somebody, doesn't mean he's right.

What exactly, does that mean, Chuck??? And can we please turn that logic around? Just because somebody is Chinese and they said a foreigner did a bad thing (like physically abuse a student) doesnt mean theyre right, yes?

Later on, you offer: Both of you might want to review some history of China of the last 50 years, in depth. Not the Chinese propaganda versions, nor the western propaganda versions, but some autobiographical versions. A book called China Blues by Jan Wong (a Canadian woman, one of only two foreign students in China in 1972) can be quite enlightening. (You will need somebdy to send it to you.) You may begin to understand why so many of their business practices are so corrupt and backward, and develop some ways of coping with them

OK, Chuck. Perhaps Jan Wongs memoir China Blues is indeed very useful and enlightening reading, but I dont agree its necessary to possess an in depth understanding of the last 50 years of Chinese history to figure out that someone has handed you an unethical employment situation in 2006, and how to deal or "cope" with it.

If you are going to suggest this to FTs, on balance, perhaps you also vigorously suggest this to recruiters and other individuals who aggressively persuade Americans, Canadians, et al, to come to China to teach. Usually the websites I see strongly urging foreigners to come to China to teach are more apt to say things like: No need to speak to Chinese, or We need you ASAP! etc. Never do I see one suggesting to any foreigner that an in depth understanding of the last 50 years of China (or reading Jan Wong's book) is a prerequisite for working and living here.

I seriously doubt when Chinese managers are engaged in an unpleasant or heated exchange with foreigner teachers that the Chinese manager is considering the past 50 years of American (or another western countrys) history. Im American, so I will use American examples The Chinese boss is not thinking about the Neil Armstrongs 1969 moon walk, Watergate, the meteoric career of Madonna, or even the Boston Tea Party for that matter, to explain our behavior or reaction to his antics (as you call them).

And your closing statement: And if anybody thinks that business practices in China are any more corrupt than anywhere else, you may want to step out of teaching for a while and step into the world of business and politics.

My, my, my, youve been a busy guy during your 29 years! Of course, you also imply that Phil and I and others have NOT stepped into the world of business and politics. Wrong!

Also, if the world of business as you call it, is not the same as education/teaching, then why do you refer to it as business in earlier section of your post? (Remember, its a business first) Wheres the logic?

More and more and more youre beginning to sound like my recent ESLTB sparring partner/poster John (a/k/a Dave, a/k/a/ Dave John, a/k/a another foreigner) Raoul Duke fondly refers to him as Bucky.

Its most interesting to me that Johns last contribution to this forum was on 14 August 2006; and then Chuck suddenly began posting prolifically on 18 August 2006.

John also told me of his numerous years of experience in business and education on multiple continents. Mere coincidence? Hmmm?

I recently suggested to "John" that he develop a new MO and turn up under a new moniker. Perhaps "Chuck" is it...

Chuck, if I might appropriate some of your thinking at this point: Just because somebody is a foreign teacher, and just because he's said he's Chuck, doesn't mean he's actually Chuck right. Right???

--------------------------------------

Phil and Frank. - ESL school review
Posted By: Chuck <crownpaster@yahoo.com>
Date: 25 August 2006

In Response To: Response to Chuck - ESL school review (Phil)

Phil, I wasn't the one that accused you of hitting a child; it was the people at the summer camp. I just wondered why they accused you of it. (Generally its best to come nowhere near touching children at all, not even shaking their hands or patting them on their backs. Even staying out of schoolyard games. Take your cue on this from local teachers. There are just too many things that can be read into our body language, their body language, and perceived notions!)

Summer camps can be pretty tough duty; they can really make you earn that money. But nobody ever really takes them too seriously. For the parents, its getting the kids out for a while and the status and bragging rights of spending money on their kids. For the managers, its advertising and a way of getting more customers. Remember, its a business first for the managers and owners, just like selling cars, real estate, or pots and pans. But English is the product, and you and I and Frank and Tom, Dick and Harry are the real sales staff. Really, if you truly want that good feeling that we all want from doing this, you'd probably find it best as a volunteer teacher somewhere in adjunct to your regular job.

Often, managers and teachers and staff can be utterly clueless about how to get things organized in something like that. Thats why they have so many meetings. And meetings really are a way of life for all of us, like them or not!

Don't let the problems become so insurmountable that you feel forced into a corner and feel pressured to do something rash or regrettable. None of it is worth it.

Frank, after spending the last 29 and 3/4 years teaching on four different continents, I think I've seen a lot. A lot of good teachers and bad, a lot of good situations and bad. A lot of good managers, business people, and politicians, and a lot of bad. I learned a long time ago that the accuracy and truth lies somewhere in the middle between the two sides. And its usually nowhere to be found in emotionally charged situations.

Just because somebody is a foreign teacher, and just because he's said he's been done wrong by somebody, doesn't mean he's right. Its not an "us vs. them" thing. As soon as it does become an us vs. them issue, the whole thing falls apart, and diplomacy and recovery may be lost.

Both of you might want to review some history of China of the last 50 years, in depth. Not the Chinese propaganda versions, nor the western propaganda versions, but some autobiographical versions. A book called China Blues by Jan Wong (a Canadian woman, one of only two foreign students in China in 1972) can be quite enlightening. (You will need somebdy to send it to you.) You may begin to understand why so many of their business practices are so corrupt and backward, and develop some ways of coping with them.

And if anybody thinks that business practices in China are any more corrupt than anywhere else, you may want to step out of teaching for a while and step into the world of business and politics.

Return to Index › A moving discussion, with an uncanny coincidence... - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -