TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Can Anyone Recommend.....
#1 Parent Foxy - 2016-10-23
Re Can Anyone Recommend.....

You can find sausages on Taobao (best to search under their Chinese name) but they are of
varying quality.

TaoBao is 'God' in China! The sausages I have seen there are not what I'm looking for. I had a quick look at 'fieldsofchina' and there's one brand there called 'Elders'. Seems quite popular insofar as they have many of their products, but I've never heard of them.

Thanks for the link by the way!

#2 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-10-23

Cheap bangers are crap everywhere! The ones I used to buy in the UK were 'Richmond' (pictured), and the ones I bought when I lived in Aus were made by an Irish butcher who sold them in his shop for about $11 per kilo - they were absolutely awesome!

I didn't like the taste of Richmond bangers. Some local butchers produce great bangers in the UK. ALSO GREAT STEAK PIES. My late ma used to buy chipolata sausages. They were small, but very tasty.

You're also correct about hamburgers. It's far easier to make your own using pork mince. I usually choose a lump of pork from my local butcher and then have him mince it up on the 'small' setting of the machine. Add some mashed-up onion, a bit of garlic, a raw egg or two, some breadcrumbs and a few spices, bingo!

My late ma used to make her own beefburgers. Flour mixed in with the raw meat. and onion pieces before frying. Great with mashed tatties amd pickled beetroot from the jar.

#3 Parent Robert - 2016-10-23

You can find sausages on Taobao (best to search under their Chinese name) but they are of varying quality.

Try www.fieldschina.com they have a vast selection and deliver to Yangzhou where you are.

Cheers

Rob

#4 Parent Foxy - 2016-10-22

In Blighty cheap bangers are crap.

Cheap bangers are crap everywhere! The ones I used to buy in the UK were 'Richmond' (pictured), and the ones I bought when I lived in Aus were made by an Irish butcher who sold them in his shop for about $11 per kilo - they were absolutely awesome!

You're also correct about hamburgers. It's far easier to make your own using pork mince. I usually choose a lump of pork from my local butcher and then have him mince it up on the 'small' setting of the machine. Add some mashed-up onion, a bit of garlic, a raw egg or two, some breadcrumbs and a few spices, bingo!

You can then make them into patties and freeze them. Easily cooked from frozen when you want a 'burger', and they're not a bad substitute for the humble sausage either. I can make them for about RMB1 each.

As for pies, well if you CAN find them in China they'll be bloody expensive! Again, it's not difficult to make your own. Last Christmas I made a few Melton-Mowbray-style pork pies and they were awesome! Time-consuming and a bit fiddly, but well worth the effort. There's nothing better than a hunk of pork-pie and mustard, especially at Xmas.

If anyone wants to have a go at making one, let me know and I'll send you the recipe (that I fiddled with).

#5 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-10-22

Once I bought Baxter's royal game soup powder, Aussie brand here. NEVER KNEW BAXTER'S HAD AUSSIE FACTORY. IT was shit.

In Blighty cheap bangers are crap. Here, don't trust anything with fillings. Change your diet. I never eat any pork products except for those that are not made from fillings. Hamburgers can't be trusted either.

ANYWAY, WATCH THE CHOLESTOROL, AND REMEMBER MAD COW DISESASE IN BLIGHTY. YOU'LL GET USED TO SURVIVING WITHOUT PIES.

Foxy - 2016-10-21
Can Anyone Recommend.....

Stupid question perhaps, but can anyone recommend a good old British-style sausage in China?

Pork, beef-and-pork.....anything?

Can't even seem to find them on good-old 'TaoBao'. What's more.....short back bacon? You know, the REAL stuff !

Last Xmas I was reduced to spending hours making my own Melton Mowbray-style pork pies, (and they were awesome), my own fruit mincemeat for mince pies, and I even succumbed to spending a whopping RMB600 on a frozen turkey, that was imported from the USA.

I was in my local 'Metro' store yesterday. Leggo Lamb was RMB88 per 500g. Average weight was 3.5 kilo, so that's over RMB600. Riddy cue less!

I make my own 'sausages', but they are akin to the McD's sausage patties. In other words, they may taste good, but they look like a beefburger!

I'd seriously kill for a good-ole British 'banger' and a slice or two of real bacon - not this processed crap that's available in the local 'Da'.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Return to Index › Can Anyone Recommend.....

Go to another board -