TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Re Are Chinese as dim as Toc-H lamps
#1 Parent Davyhulme - 2016-10-26
Re: Re Are Chinese as dim as Toc-H lamps

Not at all since those Muslims are living in their own country.

Good that you want to keep the discussion going.

A british born muslim in the UK of indian/pakistani descent who was born in the UK is british, as much or perhaps even more so than a Chinese who adopts british nationality, I suppose that is another tangent. But please allow me to focus on China for now, as much as you are interested in where the first tribes in the middle east came from, I am interested in what constitutes chinese nationality?

I remember a couple of cantonese speaking girls I spoke to many, many years back, and one taxi driver in Guangzhou as I recall, they all considered themselves cantonese, and I merely thought it a dialect of Chinese, but that would be an issue of linguistics. One in particular seemed to be particularly put out by me speaking in mandarin to some local bloke, and only seemed to use Cantonese and English, and treated speaking in mandarin as something to be done only if necessary, a sort of a nuisance to her, so to speak. Back on point though,for example, why do people call it "cantonese duck"? Surely, it should be just chinese duck? Shouldn't we call a duck in a country, just that, a duck?!

But the fact is, the Cantonese-speaking part of China was a separate kingdom, many years ago. So were other parts of China (the other dialect-parts. There are around 8 or 9 of them.) Anyway, I brought this up with some students and got the "We are all Chinese!" line, but that is not the impression I got from Xinjiang people, not at all, culturally and in terms of language. I've seen some maps of China from the late 19th/early 20th century which shows it to be incredibly divided, with territories ruled by individual war lords.

Perhaps you can ask your wife or some chinese friends their opinion? Tracing where we come from, even in some cases in one country can be interesting.

Return to Index › Re: Re Are Chinese as dim as Toc-H lamps

Go to another board -