TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re what stays in vegas
#1 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-11-13
Re what stays in vegas

It is interesting how some people view Trump as a warmonger. He was against the war in Iraq for instance. It will be interesting to see Trumps response to the South China Sea dispute.

I think that Trump will not be scared to start a trade war with China, as for taking any military action in the Asian region against the Chinese in the next few years, it remains to be seen.

Trumps wants to increase military spending, especially in regard to US Navy capabilities. However I don't think this has anything to do for certain with a perceived Chinese threat in SE-Asia. He just feels the US forces are degraded at the current time.

On the other hand, the current administration in Washington and also in Canberra have a view that China poses a threat, although they are reluctant to openly say so in public.

The Australian government has also recently increased defence spending and has increased military operations with both the USA and SE-Asian nations.

Both the USA and Australia have a policy that they will sail wherever they like in international waters in the South China Sea, regardless of what Beijing thinks.

Both the USA and Australia have declared that any Chinese claims of territory in international waters will not be recognized.

As for world wars, I think that if any nation is claiming international territory that does not belong to them there should be a military response: regardless of the consequences.

It seems that Trump will focus on solving domestic issues withing the USA in the short-term. That would be the smart thing to do as the electorate expects him to now focus on "Making America Great Again".

I am totally convinced as far as the risk of future world wars/nuclear attacks is concerned, we can depend on Trump as US president to keep us safe from them for as long as he's president. I wouldn't say that if Hillary were president.

Return to Index › Re what stays in vegas

Go to another board -