TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re By day a teacher ... by night a prostitute
#1 Parent Foxy - 2016-11-17
Re By day a teacher ... by night a prostitute

The 'ethics' in question are this....

If prostitution was illegal in NZ and a teacher worked as one, then yes, she SHOULD be fired.

However, she is doing nothing illegal. Therefore, whether or not she is 'setting a bad example' is a moot point.

#2 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-11-17

That would make an excellent 'Debate' question ! It's a question of 'ethics' and something that the PC Brigade would enjoy, no doubt.

Whilst it's easy to simply agree with your statement, it calls into question whether or not someone has the RIGHT to decide what another person has the RIGHT to do. Especially if it's legal!

I remember a few years ago on one of my first visits to China, I was having lunch with a very nice Chinese factory owner and his wife, who was a teacher. They had plenty of money, and since they wanted to have a second child, paying the 'fine' to the Chinese government was not going to be a problem for them.

Under the one-child-policy, any person deliberately having more than one child, (if they were not 'qualified' to do so under the weird constraints at the time), had to pay a 'fine' to the government.

As I say, this was not a problem for this couple, however, as a teacher, if she became pregnant with her second child she would have been fired for 'setting a bad example'.

That said, this is China and not NZ.

Asolutely correct! I couldn't agree more.

#3 Parent Foxy - 2016-11-16

Teachers are supposed to be role models. Those teachers who practise prostitution are not
good role models for their students and therefore should be fired.

That would make an excellent 'Debate' question ! It's a question of 'ethics' and something that the PC Brigade would enjoy, no doubt.

Whilst it's easy to simply agree with your statement, it calls into question whether or not someone has the RIGHT to decide what another person has the RIGHT to do. Especially if it's legal!

I remember a few years ago on one of my first visits to China, I was having lunch with a very nice Chinese factory owner and his wife, who was a teacher. They had plenty of money, and since they wanted to have a second child, paying the 'fine' to the Chinese government was not going to be a problem for them.

Under the one-child-policy, any person deliberately having more than one child, (if they were not 'qualified' to do so under the weird constraints at the time), had to pay a 'fine' to the government.

As I say, this was not a problem for this couple, however, as a teacher, if she became pregnant with her second child she would have been fired for 'setting a bad example'.

That said, this is China and not NZ.

#4 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-11-16

I've got no problem with teachers working part-time as prostitutes. This happens in many countries, not just in NZ. In China it is common for some teachers and students to supplement any income they may have with part-time sex work. There are always a few prostitutes available at Chinese universities. The problem I have is when women pretend to be "traditional" or "conservative" when they are not.

In Australia there are also many Asian students working part-time as prostitutes. The are many ads for them in newspapers and also on websites like "Backpage".

What certain women do in their free time with their own bodies is not the business of others, either men or women.

Unlike you, society has a problem with teachers like the teacher described in the newspaper article.

The oldest profession in the world is what prostitution is claimed to be. Legal or not, it does not fit in with the teaching profession.

Prostitution is not an honorable profession, unlike teaching.

Teachers are supposed to be role models. Those teachers who practise prostitution are not good role models for their students and therefore should be fired.

Return to Index › Re By day a teacher ... by night a prostitute

Go to another board -