TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China confiscates passports of Xinjiang people!
#1 Parent data boy - 2016-11-27
Re China confiscates passports of Xinjiang people!

Is that what you want this board to be like?

it is a serious
issue for the ones who don't drink kool aids

I'm down for the kool-aid :)

#2 Parent caring - 2016-11-27

Now is the time for me to suspect that Chinese police hope we "decline" all the offers in the region. That will give them the power to brainwash and restrict locals from leaving their homes. Is that what you want this board to be like? The bottom line here is that China is a significant member of the UN which means that it ought to follow the international laws much more than it has. With the travel documents, it is a serious issue for the ones who don't drink kool aids.

You politely decline, take your passport with its embedded data chip and return home to the
land of the free and the brave.
#3 Parent data boy - 2016-11-26

when the authority puts
one in the situation to break laws

You politely decline, take your passport with its embedded data chip and return home to the land of the free and the brave.
#4 Parent caring - 2016-11-26

You replied to the message about foreign passports which're mentioned, so don't derail with your "but" or "I suspect" there! If foreigners are asked to "surrender their passport to the local police" there, they are wrongfully requested to do so. Of course everyone has his/her choice BUT when the authority puts one in the situation to break laws ............

I Wrote:
The foreign passports belong to governments that've issued them and so the people that've been issued those documents may have been terrorized by the local authorities there

You Replied:
Interesting argument for foreign residents of Xinjiang. But this fact certainly justifies the
Chinese government holding Chinese citizen passports, since China owns them.

Foreign visitors routinely need a special resident permit to reside in Xinjiang. I suspect
that they are now being advised at the time of applying for the residence permit that
they must surrender their passport to the local police if they choose to reside there.

#5 Parent caring - 2016-11-26

Relevant link. I guess he'll follow the laws the way he's used to.

From the reference:
Meng said he will also improve coordination among regional and global police forces with a view to building a safer world and a more efficient Interpol that will benefit all member states.
#6 Parent Former FT in China - 2016-11-25

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/////2016-11/11/content_27341784.htm

A great achievement, indeed! The Chinese government will be over the moon about this.

#7 Parent data boy - 2016-11-25

The foreign passports belong to governments that've issued them and so the people that've
been issued those documents may have been terrorized by the local authorities
there

Interesting argument for foreign residents of Xinjiang. But this fact certainly justifies the Chinese government holding Chinese citizen passports, since China owns them.

Foreign visitors routinely need a special resident permit to reside in Xinjiang. I suspect that they are now being advised at the time of applying for the residence permit that they must surrender their passport to the local police if they choose to reside there.

#8 Parent caring - 2016-11-25

The foreign passports belong to governments that've issued them and so the people that've been issued those documents may have been terrorized by the local authorities there. Perhaps this is more about the international laws than about the "5 % of the population of the region".

ALL residents of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region THAT HAVE PASSPORTS including Han Chinese and foreigners with resident visas must deposit their passports with local police. The vast majority of Chinese do not have passports. Perhaps 5% of the population of the region are affected.
#9 Parent Davyhulme - 2016-11-25

Interesting to see they are including the Han in this one, when I read it I thought it was a crackdown on the turkic people of that region only. Thanks for the post.

#10 Parent No Worries - 2016-11-25
#11 Parent data boy - 2016-11-25

ALL residents of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region THAT HAVE PASSPORTS including Han Chinese and foreigners with resident visas must deposit their passports with local police. The vast majority of Chinese do not have passports. Perhaps 5% of the population of the region are affected.

PIDDLER - 2016-11-25
China confiscates passports of Xinjiang people!
Return to Index › China confiscates passports of Xinjiang people!

Go to another board -