TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re A warning re the new work permit system
#1 Parent Davyhulme - 2016-12-08
Re A warning re the new work permit system

Erm, I do not think he is an english teacher, not that I really care, I recall some mention in one of his vids of working at a hospital, then business, and then this youtube stuff.

Anyway, let the thread continue. Do carry on, said in best stiff upper lipped brit accent.

#2 Parent [poster] - 2016-12-08

Bloody stupid to marry a chinese woman and just rely on a youtube channel,

I don't know him personally but it seems to me he's done fairly well teaching English but I think he has a partner and they are aiming to get a sponsored/product featuring YT channel.

Its very difficult from what i understand. Someone like that Casey Niestadt guy (name?) has done very VERY well with a YT channel. But then people don't really know he has a team, sponsors, they work on that channel literally 10 hours a day and already had some internet fame before Youtube as well as personal money to float himself aside from YT.

I don't know but it seems like the calculations indicate you need to REALLY get some massive views before you can do it 'as a living' or enough to get 1 or 2 thousand a month.

But having said that, if that is their hobby and lets say it pay for their camera, their drone, a few sponsorship goodies... well, good then. If that's a hobby they love to do i think its great.

but yes I'm sure his wife is already preparing how to pretend she was abused so she can get out of the marriage when he has no serious high-income career in South Africa.

#3 Parent Davyhulme - 2016-12-08

When you are married to a Chinese it certainly does mean you can't pack up and give up.

Bloody stupid to marry a chinese woman and just rely on a youtube channel, but that is just me. I am glad I never married one, would hate to have to stay in China indefinitely, when most are leaving.

#4 Parent [poster] - 2016-12-07

He makes many pro-China videos which, for the longest time and even today had him being accused of being a 'Sell-out' a kind of Western WuMao, a suckup and cowardly for (alleged the critics) for posting glowing positive-only videos.

He now includes 'gripes' inside what are essentially very Pro-China videos. These are often done very fairly and with conditions and explanations and defenses of the Chinese which is why he still gets accused of being a big suck-up apologist for China.

His wife is not much younger than him. I think he once noted a 7 year age difference which is unremarkable for people their age.

A 'Barnacle'? I do believe they've left China for an American tour but I'd suppose what you call a 'barnacle' is him simply saying he's not finished his life here.. not quite yet. It seems they are attempting to make a little YT video channel business. Which might work. When you are married to a Chinese it certainly does mean you can't pack up and give up.

Also, he isn't Chinese so he probably doesn't see 'gripes' as reason enough to give up and run away. Chinese do see things that way I agree.

#5 Parent Davyhulme - 2016-12-07

Hear hear. I like your barnacle analogy and it applies to many people on and off these boards. A infamous south african vlogger makes many videos with gripes about China, and the visas, and the fact one can never become "Chinese", yet he still clings to the place like a barnacle to a pier with a younger chinese wife. It is pretty sad when you can only set your ambitions as high as China, a whole other world out there, but you won't convince the defenders and GW's of that fact mate!

Good post!

Return to Index › Re A warning re the new work permit system

Go to another board -