TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re cellophane houses
#1 Parent Curious - 2016-12-27
Re: Re cellophane houses

I understand.
In my case: 23 years of studying other people's ideas and rules.
One day, in the summer of 2010, my motorcycle riding glasses became covered with dust and dead flies and because I was facing the sun, I could not easily see the potholes (I was riding in Mexico) which can be deadly. Something in me made me shed a lot of social bullshit in a few seconds, probably because I had seen cowboys do things like that in movies: I spit on my glasses and wiped them clean (reasonably clean) with the lining of my Harley jacket. And it felt so goooooood!
Fu*k other people's ideas and rules. I am going to see the potholes. I am taking full responsibility for my survival.

Turning point in my life.

I wish you one of those epiphanies as belated Christmas gift to yourself, TD.

#2 Parent Trump diplomacy - 2016-12-27

I get that.
My life has been immersed in academic writing and I try, often unsuccessfully, to shed its pretentious formulaic jargon.
See! I still can't.
I need to go to more AA meetings. Academics Anonymous.

#3 Parent Curious - 2016-12-27

I agree with your last sentence about criticizing other people's English.

And your "His writing is like a bad toupee" is very funny! I love it.

I would like to comment on your "why is idiotic writing amusing?" During the busy portion of my working life, I had to attend my share of functions where we are supposed to know which of 3 forks to use first, things like that. I have been very busy in the last decade getting rid of those layers of "civilization" that I had to study and wear like a cloak... And now I enjoy going to a place like Neptune's Net or the Rock Store (you know? in Malibu), putting my feet on the table on the terrace while throwing french fries to the seagulls, eating from a paper plate, drinking a beer from the bottle: It refreshes my soul. It cuts all the bullshit. Coming back to your question about Taffy's idiotic writing: Reading his writing does the same to me. Reading Taffy is like dropping the fork (a recent invention, a mere 500 years, not yet in our DNA), eating with my fingers and wiping my lips with the back of my hand. Like Fifi just wrote "Love you, Taffy".

#4 Parent Trump diplomacy - 2016-12-27

Taffy used to write this sentence at the
end of many of his posts - this used to infuriate Turnoi who would bite the bait each
time without exception)

Why is idiotic writing amusing?
He may indeed be trolling. But I no longer believe that he can write correctly. His writing is like a bad toupee.
Writing poorly is not a problem until you choose to criticize the English ability of other people.

#5 Parent Arthur - 2016-12-27

I think Taffy could easily start drinking at dawn when his wife is not at home. But he would not put his daughter in jeopardy, so he restrains himself until she is asleep in the evening and THEN he goes for the bottle. Taffy: Am I right or am I right? (Note for TD: under a different alias, a couple of years ago, Taffy used to write this sentence at the end of many of his posts - this used to infuriate Turnoi who would bite the bait each time without exception)

#6 Parent Trump diplomacy - 2016-12-27
Re cellophane houses

I rather think that 'foxy' whom I answered will not be tricked by you into believing that I
was commenting on his English Language ability at all in any way shape or form. No I was
commenting on how the Chinese may see things. I was only arguing that the story he
related might not be one of 'losing face' I suggest you try and be less bitter and more
constructive and address that argument-instead of a futile attempt to regain face
yourself

I suspect it is neither constructive nor genuine, but thank you for your concern.

I have read many posts by Foxy that have been well written, complete with proper grammar and punctuation. When he 'plays the fool' for comic intent it is recognizable.

Your rustic nonsense is apparently a ruse to cloak your actual inability to write correctly, unless you begin drinking at dawn.

Many people write poorly, it is not that important in modern society. It's okay; drop the cloak.

Return to Index › Re cellophane houses

Go to another board -