TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West
#1 Parent Trump diplomacy - 2017-01-10
Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West

Chinese people seem to have a hard time realising that even professional expats and business
Foreigners do not wear a suit and often go with shorts and a T on their day off, does
that make them deechers once or twice per week

On days off you would have to be in a very rural environment to be able to be identified as a teacher in China. Even third tier cities now have foreigner tourists and businessmen. I actually miss the attention that I received a decade ago in China. Even when I am speaking in Chinese, barely anyone bothers to look up.

If you are 'on-campus', it is unusual to see Chinese teachers wearing shorts, even in southern cities. School administrators certainly do have a preference for having their 'teachers' dress up, especially for events of any sort. It's annoying.

#2 Parent Lamar - 2017-01-10

I'm not in for the fame so the lack of acknowledgement from randomers is not so much of a problem for me. I just want to be left alone when out here and I take enough personal pride in seeing my students improving already.

Now a real problem that is directly related to the decreasing status of FTs in China is the mental and sometimes verbal harassment of any Foreigner perceived to be a deecher by the local populace. I can't be the only one who noticed the bipolar treatment I receive from random people out here depending on whether I wear a suit or dress casual. The condescending attitude, the random "Halou" using a mocking tone, etc... are never to be seen or heard with a suit on.

Chinese people seem to have a hard time realising that even professional expats and business Foreigners do not wear a suit and often go with shorts and a T on their day off, does that make them deechers once or twice per week?

#3 Parent Trump diplomacy - 2017-01-10

he work and efforts of dedicated Western
teachers in China were not totally in vain. To me personally, that's good enough to
know.

Students benefit from their teachers to varying degrees based on countless considerations, most not within the teacher's control. It is my belief that the foreign teacher's intent to assist students in their learning process and his acceptance, if not understanding, of the differences in their culture and educational experience are the most critical elements to obtaining any modicum of success.

I only began teaching in China in 2005, but I too have observed and experienced the diminished respect given to FTs during the past decade. I cannot however argue that this recent critical appraisal of FTs is not justified. I can not speak to the 1990s, but the prototypical clowns in the classrooms ten years ago were not deserving of any respect. Ironically, the quality of FTs has probably, on the margin, improved just as their acknowledgement has diminished.

I have always been critical of the Chinese educational system and empathize with the toll it takes on students. But I recognize that institutions respond only to power. FTs have none. For that matter, Chinese teachers have none.

Nevertheless, I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to share classroom time with over 5000 university students, many of whom I continue to communicate with. My QQ has had over 277,000 visits in 7 years and is more active now than ever. I am grateful for the sense of community that these ex-students offer me. I know you feel the same.

Return to Index › Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West

Go to another board -