TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Taking RMB out of China? - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Alex - 2006-11-16
No more than 10, 000 - Teachers Discussion

As I've seen on an emigration form, the limit is ten thousand. It's usually quite inconvenient bring such a big bundle of paper.

#2 Parent Happy China - 2006-11-14
Changing Money - Teachers Discussion

Just to add to the last 2 posts. You can take 6000 out to Hong Kong - legally - and change it there, though i would have thought the chances of anyone checking you at customs if you took anymore are pretty slim. .

Don't take RMB out of the country though, as it's unconvertible, and consequently would only be good as toilet paper in your own country.

#3 Parent Mic - 2006-11-14
Agreed - Teachers Discussion

Yes, I can also confirm this.

Outside of Bank of China there is usually a man who will exchange money for you. Although the exchange rate is a little higher, it has little affect overall.

Once you have US dollars you can go to Agriculture Bank of China with your passport and money and Western Union them to anywhere and anyone you would like in the World.

The second way is to have your Chinese friend exchange the money for you. Chinese citizens can easily do this. Foreigners cannot easily exchange money legally through the banks, and only a few select banks can offer this service. If you try to do it yourself legally you will need the following:
1. alien resident permit/work permit
2. passport
3. income tax receipts
4. employment contract

#4 Parent Jules - 2006-11-11
Exchanging RMB - Teachers Discussion

Hey there,

Where in China are you right now? If you are in Shanghai or close by there is a guy that stands inside of the Agricultural Bank and he will exchange RMB into American, Euro or Sterling Pounds. This is legit and I have used him about 5 times already and have never had a problem. After receiving the money from him you can take it to the bank teller at the front and she will verify that is real......

I know about 10 foreigners who use this guy and we have all never had a problem. There is a limit on how much RMB you can take out of China and if you
are caught you could lose it all at the airport. Also you may have trouble exchanging it back in your own country.....

If you are interested than let me know and I can send you the details for this guy.....Have a nice day!!

Jules

B. Kole - 2006-11-10
Taking RMB out of China? - Teachers Discussion

Has any one had any problems doing this? Really what is the best way I go about taking a boat load of RMB back home with me?

Return to Index › Taking RMB out of China? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -