TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Educate me on educating others (please). Guide me please, someone. - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent KJ - 2006-11-17
hello humble person - Teachers Discussion

Well, first, in regard to the horror stories you've heard; a lot of them are true - some would say that most are true. True or not, the sad fact is that many teachers come here not knowing what to expect. Many times the situation is just that - not knowing what to expect. But other times it's a matter of false expectations . Either way, the recruiters here in China and elsewhere prey on those who unwittingly operate under principles of faith. Not to say that recruiters are the only dishonest people in this business, but they are the major culprits. There are many shady private schools out there too. Generally, the schools and universities in the public sector are fairly honest; albeit, it's hit and miss as far as finding the situation that's right for you. But that's putting the cart before the horse isn't it?

With a good TESOL certificate and a B.A. degree in almost any discipline you can pretty much find a job anywhere in the world.(Except EU nations where now you can't legally work without an EU passport.)There are some great TESOL or TESOFL courses offered by, or sponsored by, many universities in America. There are also private TESOL centers where you can do intensive work and have your certifcate in 4-6 weeks.

With your writing skills you could probably find a good job at a reputable university abroad. But before venturing out you may want to try your hand at teaching adult immigrants. It's a great way to enhance your cultural sensitivity while gaining valuable experience. Many if not most community colleges in America offer free ESL classes for adult immigrants. Beyond that, you can also do volunteer literacy work. When I first set out on this path of being an ESL/EFL teacher, that's where I decided to begin. I took a free course from the local area literacy council that had an ESL component. After completing the coursework, I did volunteer one on one tutoring with newly arrived adult immigrants. Not only was it valuable experience, but it was also a cost free way for me to determine whether or not it was something I could enjoy. I followed that up with free tutoring and a "communication table" for international college students. That was a great experience also. And, still to be sure I was heading in the right direction, I sat in on ESL classes with the permission of the instructor for at least six months.
I'm not sure if you'd want to take the time to do all of that, but for me it made sense because I didn't want to commit myself to something that I'd later find out was a real disappointment. But you get my gist. Check around. See what's offered near where you are living now. Sit in on a few classes. But above all, before making the leap to teach abroad, do some serious homework.
Good luck!

Dan - 2006-11-17
Educate me on educating others (please). Guide me please, someone. - Teachers Discussion

Hello friendly people,

I am a young, soon-to-graduate university student (in journalism), who is trying to figure out his "next step".

While I love journalism, writing, and telling stories, I have a desire, at this stage in my life, to travel, become immersed in new communities, and further study my own language (I'm a composition pedagogy nerd). Thus, I have become interested in this ESL world.

However, I have no idea where to start and need some guidance on where to start looking, how to find a reputable school, and everything else along those lines.

Anything that anyone could tell me would be greatly appreciated. How do I do this and avoid the horror stories I have heard?

Help!

Cheers

Return to Index › Educate me on educating others (please). Guide me please, someone. - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -