TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › I would like to post my resume here but...
#1 Parent Trump diplomacy - 2017-02-18
Re I would like to post my resume here but...

I doubt very much that increasing salaries greatly in the public or the private
education sector will solve the problem of filling the large number of teaching
vacancies with qualified foreign teachers of English

I suspect that you are right and I doubt that most schools will actually raise salaries significantly.

The Chinese government has determined that it is more important to control immigration than to enable non-teachers with white faces to adorn college campuses and Shopping Mall Language Lounges.

Whether or not this will limit Chinese students oral language development is another debate. My personal view is that FTs provide students a variety of glimpses at Western culture, but do little to improve their language skills. Xi Jinping is trying to eliminate the former and cares little about the latter.

#2 Parent Simon - 2017-02-17

Good post!

However, I doubt very much that increasing salaries greatly in the public or the private education sector will solve the problem of filling the large number of teaching vacancies with qualified foreign teachers of English. Many westerners who are qualified kindergarten or elementary school or junior high school or high school teachers back home in the west wouldn't come to China to teach, especially not to take jobs in small towns or small cities!

#3 Parent Trump diplomacy - 2017-02-17

I even said ¨I am
not looking for work in China¨ within the resume and still that is the majority of the
responses I get.

Demand for NES teachers in China continues to greatly exceed supply as enforcement actions continue against FTs working illegally.

Legitimate public employers have the choice between raising salaries high enough to attract genuine teachers or cutting back on their FT staff. Private schools are either churning illegal teachers, misleading NES as to the nature of the positions or, in rate instances, improving their salaries and working conditions.

#4 Parent Simon - 2017-02-16
Re: I would like to post my resume here but...

Yes, they are like seagulls!

Funny, but sad!

#5 Parent BeenThere - 2017-02-16
Re: I would like to post my resume here but...

I had the same experience. Chinese schools, and mostly recruiters, go for quantity: They throw the bowl of noodles at the wall and wait to see what sticks.

They remind me of seagulls: You throw some French fries in the air or on the ground and the seagulls throw themselves at it like there's no tomorrow. Telling them not to do it would be useless, right?

Travel32 - 2017-02-16
I would like to post my resume here but...

...All I ever get are responses from Chinese schools. I don´t want to work in China, even after posting, CLEARLY, in the subject line ¨Looking for work in Africa, Eastern Europe and Central America¨ the recruiters do not seem capable of reading. I even said ¨I am not looking for work in China¨ within the resume and still that is the majority of the responses I get. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thankfully I already have a job in South America and I am just looking around to see what is out there, but it is still obnoxious just the same.

Return to Index › I would like to post my resume here but...

Go to another board -