TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › mandatory office hours
#1 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-11
Re Swallowing kiwis - fush ā€˜nā€™ chups

An old article but interesting and funny.

#2 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-11
Swallowing kiwis - fush ā€˜nā€™ chups
#3 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-11
Re mandatory office hours

I think you might know as you lived in Australia for a while that the Gold Coast in Queensland has many former New Zealand residents. I would not trust any of them, would certainly never do business with one of them.

The GC has always been a haven for various scammers and criminals, more than a few degenerates from across the Tasman among them.

Bloody Hell, you'd never credit it, one never thinks of Kiwi's as crooks!

I hope those Aussie skyscrapers are designed to last longer than Chinese ones-my building is only ten years and looking very old now.

#4 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-10

I think you might know as you lived in Australia for a while that the Gold Coast in Queensland has many former New Zealand residents. I would not trust any of them, would certainly never do business with one of them.

The GC has always been a haven for various scammers and criminals, more than a few degenerates from across the Tasman among them.

#5 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09
Re thank you sir, may I have another

If you have actual teaching credentials in the U.S. or other NES country, you can essentially work ANYWHERE you want in China.

The best High Schools (commonly called middle schools in Chinese because they are usually grades 7-12) are often affiliated with a University.

As another poster has written, 'High Schools' pay a higher salary but require more hours. Additionally, the class size is usually larger than at a University.

It IS more difficult to locate these jobs directly, but I personally would try. I recommend that you determine where you want to teach, then google that city name with foreign teacher English. The task then becomes sorting the responses into 3 categories: 1) recruiters 2) recruitment sites 3) direct school ads. #3 is preferable but will be few in number. #2 The recruitment sites (like the job section on this website) are a mixture of direct ads and agents. Again: choose the direct ads.

Remember that as a NES with actual teaching credentials you will be offered every job you apply for. You do not need a long list of possible employers.

Also, bare in mind that China has many schools that we would call 'junior colleges' for students age 15-19. The are usually trade oriented for students that have less academic skill and less money. As a FT at one of these schools, you would be treated like royalty. Like Universities, they advertise directly and call themselves something like 'college of tourism'. Most stewardesses and nurses are taught in 'colleges' of this type.

Please be selective about the position you accept. Please try to avoid dealing with a recruiter. A few extra hours of work online now will save you months of anguish if you sign a contract with a shady employer.

#6 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

Most of the time we get what we deserve.
If, as you have written, you actually are looking for a university job in China and you have chosen to use recruiters despite the alternatives already explained, I look forward to your posts in September in the school reviews section, whining about how you have been duped.

Whatever path he takes he must make sure he talks to the actual employer and anybody else he can talk to.

#7 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09

I know you are a proper teacher

No, I'm not certified to teach in the U.S.
My educational credentials are only TESOL.
I am merely a dilettante, a FT in the PRC.
But I am a proper learner, I hope.

#8 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09
Re: Re mandatory office hours

sadly a charming posteress cleared him out " You are referring to me, Taffy. Know that I had NOTHING to do with Turnoi's posts going to Heaven. He is the one who asked the moderators to remove all his posts. Twice.

Oh found it!

Don't worry I am sure he has forgiven you, I have.

#9 Parent Lyle_S - 2017-04-09

I am not seeking a university position, never once did I say this. Not sure where you got this idea. I am looking to teach high school students. I have taught high school students for six years already and am comfortable with that age group.

Perhaps you have some ideas how to apply to such schools?

#10 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Yes, just use one lesson plan each week for all your classes.

Sorry to disagree with what you advise re university teaching in China.

At universities/colleges in China, I think you shouldn't and wouldn't be allowed to get away with that! You should have different lesson plans and exams for freshers, sophomores, etc, even if you're contracted to teach spoken English ONLY!

You will never be contracted to teach the same subject to a single year group of students for 14-16 teaching periods/week. That's coz there aren't 14 -16 classes in any one grade at Chinese universities or colleges.

Hey, FTinPRC, in my view you are obliged to give us the benefit of your experience in the university sector in this regard by responding, so as to maintain your credibility, regardless of whether or not Silverboy chooses to respond!

#11 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

Yes, thanks.

Got your e-mail, left me staggered and needing a drink. 'There are more ways ** **** * ***' is probably the most important and frequently used idiom in the whole of the English language. Its word meaning like many idioms is lost in the mists of time and some of us even think it refers to 'The *** ** **** *****' So, when it's said and we all do an awful lot we don't think of any literal meaning save there's more ways of doing a job than one. Either way you can't go around getting such important chunks of English banned. Hahaha! heard it all now!

#12 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

He is a native speaker? I'm surprised.
It's amazing how you guys recognize each other when swapping handles.

I know you are a proper teacher (unlike me and most of us) but surprisingly for you he also is qualified to teach in UK- so anywhere in the West I imagine. He was easy to notice because he hasn't changed.

Blimey, I did have a post from Fifi but delayed a few seconds and it wos gorn. magician that gal

#13 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09

Thanks, Trumpsey but I know him of old. I mean he wouldn't do what another old poster did to
LondonGirl.

He is a native speaker? I'm surprised.
It's amazing how you guys recognize each other when swapping handles.

#14 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

Yes, thanks.

#15 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

In China, public school positions for FTs will keep you busier than college/university positions. Not only is the pay significantly higher, but the classes tend to be less demanding as you will be teaching very basic English. 20 classes a week will be the norm and the emphasis will be on oral English relevant to the English vocabulary in the pupils' textbooks. You may get the chance to deviate your oral lessons material from the textbook. Challenging work due to the English level of the pupils being on the low side, but you can be a good teacher in that environment if you speak slowly and use simple vocabulary.

You will be busier than a college/university FT. However, you will have more free time than a language mill FT. And, that free time should mainly comprise your weekends and evenings, unlike training centre jobs.

Angelina's Cafe is a recruiter I'd recommend for such jobs.

#16 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09
thank you sir, may I have another

Even through I have reiterated what I will accept and not the recruiters
so far seem to be of the illusion that I will deviate from this and accept what they set
me up with. It is as I said just wasting mine and their time in the long run.

Anyone any ideas?

Most of the time we get what we deserve.
If, as you have written, you actually are looking for a university job in China and you have chosen to use recruiters despite the alternatives already explained, I look forward to your posts in September in the school reviews section, whining about how you have been duped.

#17 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

Taffy, don't give this poster your email.
Something's rotten in the state of Expat Hubby.

Thanks, Trumpsey but I know him of old. I mean he wouldn't do what another old poster did to LondonGirl.

I may as well leave the e-mail on my posts for now.

#18 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09
Re just sayin'

You are off the beam with your presumption about all western individuals asking such a
question being deceitful!

"off the beam" !!!
Where were you born, Expat?

#19 Parent Lyle_S - 2017-04-09

I'm not just out of college but am a newbie so to speak.

It seems that I am going to have to deal with recruiters as the majority of teaching positions in public schools are advertised through them. Even on this site, the majority are agents.

Am I going about it the wrong way in expressing what I want and don't want at the beginning of the process? Even through I have reiterated what I will accept and not the recruiters so far seem to be of the illusion that I will deviate from this and accept what they set me up with. It is as I said just wasting mine and their time in the long run.

Anyone any ideas?

#20 Parent Fifi - 2017-04-09

"sadly a charming posteress cleared him out " You are referring to me, Taffy. Know that I had NOTHING to do with Turnoi's posts going to Heaven. He is the one who asked the moderators to remove all his posts. Twice.

#21 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09
Re just sayin'

Yes, honestly!

You are off the beam with your presumption about all western individuals asking such a question being deceitful!

And my wife is NOT a party member!

#22 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09
Re just sayin'

please be so
kind as to proffer the reason(s) why Google has been blocked in some parts of China as a
search engine?

Honestly? What planet do you live on?
No western individual would ever ask such a question. Why feign such ignorance?
YOU are on this site for nefarious purpose. Your English skills are adequate, if sloppy, so you have been educated overseas.
Is your wife a party member, hubby?

#23 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09

Great stuff!

If you would like to know what the so-called offending idiom was, please provide an e-mail
address. I''ll e-mail you it!

Taffy, don't give this poster your email.
Something's rotten in the state of Expat Hubby.

#24 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Great stuff!

If you would like to know what the so-called offending idiom was, please provide an e-mail address. I''ll e-mail you it!

#25 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09
Re 3 second google search Page One

So because we don't want to use an agent we pay through the nose for a VPN which probably
won't work.

Approximately 27rmb a month for a VPN that works 99.5% of the time. October Party Congress time is a problem for a week.
Remember: my post was for 'newbies', those not already in China.
Taffy, I honestly do not understand your continued support of recruiters... why is that?

#26 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09

Page One, Taffy. No city specified.
You may choose to use an agent. Others may choose not.
Yes, they must have college degree from an actual college and be a citizen of a NES country.
All others: recruiters will embrace you.

#27 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09
Re just sayin'

We take Google for granted UNTIL it won't work!

You obviously being a self-proclaimed font of knowledge (albeit by default), please be so kind as to proffer the reason(s) why Google has been blocked in some parts of China as a search engine?

#28 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

Good post, bro!

[edited]

Haha, thanks for telling me. What we really need now as Trumpsey has paved the way for doctorates job search is Turnoi to help us out, sadly a charming posteress cleared him out with all the dead wood hahaha! Trouble was all the dead wood was boomerang-shaped and came hurtling back. Sadly the good doctor only got the promise of eternal life for his posts and that Jesus might return them in Posters' heaven.

#29 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09
just sayin'

Without google the google search of this board won't work!

You certainly are a font [sic] of knowledge.
Just sayin'.

#30 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Good post, Taffy!

#31 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

Just sayin:
Google is BLOCKED as a search engine where I am in China.
Just sayin: I'm in China.
Some blockages are innate, some embraced. Even a horse can refuse blinders.

So because we don't want to use an agent we pay through the nose for a VPN which probably won't work.

#32 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Just sayin, Google doesn't work throughout China.

I used to use a gmail address. Can't open it here, I advise those FTs coming to China to change their email addresses to new ones provided by Yahoo, etcetera, to avoid that problem!

Without google the google search of this board won't work!

#33 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

The 'edited' part was an idiom - [edited]

Nowt derogatory aimed at you!

#34 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09

Just sayin:

Just sayin: I'm in China.
Some blockages are innate, some embraced. Even a horse can refuse blinders.

#35 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

For this program, we are looking for excellent talents, in the area of Natural Science, Medicine, and Engineering,
A. who are under 40 years old and with doctorate from the top 100 international universities or research institutes (or from top 30 disciplines in the world). They will be given an academic title of Researcher under a negotiable annual salary pay scale within the range of 150,000 Yuan to 200,000 Yuan. They are offered 300,000 Yuan as starting research fund.
B. who are under 35 years old and with doctorate of renowned universities both home and abroad. They will be given an academic title of Associate Researcher under a negotiable annual salary pay scale within the range of 100,000 Yuan to 150,000 Yuan. They are offered 200,000 Yuan as starting research fund.

Hahaha! Most of us FT's are closet bums with a bachelors, Trumpsey. No we need agents to winkle out them rough-arse-jobs for us. Peking University my foot hahaha!

I'm bound to say that the high-faluting job descriptions only seem to attract the sort of cash a lorry driver gets. Get more money in a Shanghai TC.

#36 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

As for Chiwis, it might interest you that I was befriended by one in China. After squandering his late father's inheritance after opening a failed KTV joint, he returned to NZ with very little money. There he scammed Chinese workers by telling them he had huge influence with the PM, Helen Clark, and obtained money from the workers to get them NZ nationality. He was jailed for fraud!

#37 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-09

Why do you want someone to be paid, to get a commission for doing nothing? Chinese get into recruiting because they are in general a lazy and inefficient race of people who don't want to work.

An agent does not represent the interests of teachers. I've had various experiences with agents in the fashion and model industry also. To put it mildly, nearly ALL of them are scum.

A real and decent employer will recruit his own staff. The "I'm too busy" line is a lame excuse. Nobody is ever so busy that they can't find good staff on their own. If I wanted to find a good carpenter the last thing I'd do is go through a HR company.

Agents are a waste of space and they intervene and interfere in a process where they are not wanted or needed. If Turnoi put a profile on here that's ok. He would wait to see what response he would get. I've done it on here also in the past. Schools DO contact teachers directly. You can just say, "no agencies, no recruiters" in your job add, put it in hanzi and pinyin also for extra emphasis if need be.

#38 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-09

In fact, I've never really liked New Zealanders. They are basically the Chinese of the Pacific Islands region.

The problem with China is that it still has many desperate white people with no money, so the temptation to sell out other foreigners is greater there. This is unlike in retirement destinations in SE-Asia which already have well established over 50 male ex-pat populations who do not need to teach ESL or do other work.

Thai and Indonesian ex-pats have ten times the spending power that their Chinese counterparts have.

#39 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-09

There you go. Their own websites. You just contact them directly like Turnoi always said. Ignore recruiters.

#40 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Just sayin:

#41 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Good post, bro!

[edited]

#42 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-09
3 second google search Page One

The thing is this, posters have been telling newbie ft's for years how easy it it is to find
a job without an agent but nobody actually tells them how to do it.

This moment I just googled: "university china foreign teacher opening".

On PAGE ONE of the search results were:

Sichuan University - www.scu.edu.cn/en/employment/H6406index_1.htm
Beijing Language University - english.blcu.edu.cn/col/col253/index.html
Hunan University - www-en.hnu.edu.cn
Peking University - english.pku.edu.cn

There also are a number of recruiters listed. AVOID. The next 50 pages will offer another 200 universities.

I recommend adding a city name to the search phrase to be more specific about where you desire to work.

Each University will tell you the details of the process on their website in English.

Before accepting a position, google the university name with the words 'beware' or 'complaint' to find negative reviews.

easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy

#43 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

First of all, nobody needs an agent/recruiter to find work, not in teaching or any other field. Why some people insist on using agents, it's stupid. It is easy to find work at universities without using a recruiter.

Would agree though that speaking to teachers already employed at a school will not be of much help. We know that many schools and also universities have lackeys employed to tell prospective teachers what they want to hear. There are Westerners in China who will happily sell out other foreigners for a pittance. There is zero loyalty, and many laowai in China put the interests of China ahead of the interests of the West and that is a disgrace.

I don't know why China attracts the most immoral, deceitful, stingy and uncaring ex-pats in all of Asia.

The thing is this, posters have been telling newbie ft's for years how easy it it is to find a job without an agent but nobody actually tells them how to do it.

Even the noble Turnoi advertised his profile. Who do you think answers all these profiles on-line. It's agents and not the actual schools themselves..

Now, you only need the agent to point the way for you- to gather copies of whatever an employer needs from you. At that point you take over yourself and try and ascertain by using your own judgement what's true and what's not true, and negotiate any changes you want.

Again if you can get contact details of other teachers and talk to them it's down to you to judge whether they are lying to you or not. Whether or not you have used an agent to arrive at that point or not is neither here nor there- except you might not arrive at too many points like that without an agent.

By the sound of it some on this site are suggesting that if you wheedle out an employer yourself there will be no need to interrogate the employer at all.

#44 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-09

Your cousins across the Tasman tend to be among the most stingy, self-serving and deceitful foreign teachers working in China. Backstabbing is their speciality!

#45 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-09

The law of attraction (what used to be described as "birds of a feather flock together")

It still is described so, Fifi. That expression is alive and well and living in Twickenham. I like the "Opposites attract"

#46 Parent Fifi - 2017-04-08

The law of attraction (what used to be described as "birds of a feather flock together")

#47 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-08

First of all, nobody needs an agent/recruiter to find work, not in teaching or any other field. Why some people insist on using agents, it's stupid. It is easy to find work at universities without using a recruiter.

Would agree though that speaking to teachers already employed at a school will not be of much help. We know that many schools and also universities have lackeys employed to tell prospective teachers what they want to hear. There are Westerners in China who will happily sell out other foreigners for a pittance. There is zero loyalty, and many laowai in China put the interests of China ahead of the interests of the West and that is a disgrace.

I don't know why China attracts the most immoral, deceitful, stingy and uncaring ex-pats in all of Asia.

#48 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-08

I never worked more than four days a week. I always had Friday off. That is the best day for drinking and chasing skirt.

Yes, just use one lesson plan each week for all your classes. Put in the minimum effort required. Remember, you are not in China to serve the Chinese.

The same applies in any Asian country. We should be there to use them and take. Asian people are self-serving takers, we should be also when living in their countries,.

#49 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-08

if we would like to
inform Lyle of all the paperwork and pictures a FAO would like to see and put him wise
on those 'Research Skills' he may be able to make a direct approach

I've done that at least twice on this site.

I've accepted 5 university positions in China from a dozen or more offers. Each of these offers came from Universities I had contacted directly, including my first position that I located when I was outside of China, in Paris.

Of course there were issues that needed to be addressed and I often chose to move to 'greener pastures', but I have recommended these employers to other FTs. Only one of these Universities had used a recruiter in the past, with unfortunate results. One of these universities has received negative reviews on this site, but my time there was pleasant.

I'm sure there are some good recruiters, but my reading of comments on this site and others seems to indicate that they are in the minority.

#50 Parent Fifi - 2017-04-08

That's a normal process for an experienced teacher like you, Taffy.

But newbies are different. If they are just out of college and have no experience with the real world, they have a tendency to believe. And if they really think it is going to be exciting to live in China one year and visit all those tourist sites, they will want to believe everything they are told. Like a guy in love with a woman who lies.

This is where the dishonest agent/recruiter will most likely send the newbie on a completely wrong path so the agent can maximize his commission.

#51 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-08

Lyle,
If you were looking for a job in a city near your hometown, would you post your resume on job sites and wait?
The best employers do not have to pay recruiters or browse websites. They review resumes of candidates that possess the research skills and personal initiative to locate and contact them directly. Chinese universities are no exception.

It's hard work extracting all the necessary evidence/paperwork from FT's- it's time-consuming and FAO's like agents to do all the donkey-work for them. Even good Chinese universities do not have personnel departments for due processing. However, if we would like to inform Lyle of all the paperwork and pictures a FAO would like to see and put him wise on those 'Research Skills' he may be able to make a direct approach. But I would say why bovver, it's not as if an agent will prevent you from telling him to sod off so you can have private words with the actual employer. And you can put it to him "The evil recruiter tells me my apartment will be carpeted wall to wall with Axminster. Is that true and if so please send me a Poleroid!" You see it matters not that agents may well be piles of shit because we ourselves will be interviewing the employer when the agent has done his skivvying.

#52 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-08

Lyle,
If you were looking for a job in a city near your hometown, would you post your resume on job sites and wait?
The best employers do not have to pay recruiters or browse websites. They review resumes of candidates that possess the research skills and personal initiative to locate and contact them directly. Chinese universities are no exception.

#53 Parent BeenThere - 2017-04-08

Your experience so far is typical. It's not going to improve. They will tell you that someone from the school will pick you up at the airport.... you will be waiting and waiting. And nobody will come.

The right attitude on the part of a FT in my opinion: Have fun with the whole process, laugh at the lies, laugh at the inconsistencies (which are consistent), have no expectations of being respected, or of being paid fairly. Just sail through the experience. It's a skill that will benefit you in other areas of your life when you return home.

#54 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-08

Taffy,

Respectfully:

The recruiter 'introduces you' to XYZ Middle School in Huludao in Liaoning. The recruiter gives you the name and telephone number of a person "at the school" who he SAYS is the "Director of Foreign Affairs".

Now what?

You call this 'person' whose English skills are limited... how do you credentialize her or the information? Could she be the recruiter's wife?

I neglected to say,Trumpsey, that you insist on speaking to three Western teachers at least. You do also require the full access to contact details on the university/school website. But you're right one must be careful. One of us should write a tutorial on how to get information from a school and what questions to ask and I admit that with your experience you are more qualified to undertake that.

Getting jobs without agents requires a fair understanding of Mandarin and a good book to read while the cows come in. By-passing an agent won't make FAO English skills any better. Carry on sergeant.

#55 Parent Lyle_S - 2017-04-08

Thanks for the replies.

I was beginning to think I had adopted the wrong approach. I posted my brief details on a few websites and have been inundated mostly with offers which simply are not for me.

I have been a high school teacher for many years and have no wish to teach younger students that is why I specified public schools. I don't wish to waste mine and the schools time going through all the notions if there is no mileage in me applying.

An example conversation. "Does the school provide accommodation?", "Yes they give you an allowance", "Is it school accommodation?", "They pay for it by the allowance", "So I have to find the accommodation myself?", "Yes, that what the allowance is for", "So it's not the school accommodation?"...

I said to one agent that I don't wish to travel between campuses or work in different locations. They said no, there is none of that, stayed up on Skype until very late to have an interview and when I confirmed that this was the case, was told, we have two campuses they are 45 minutes apart.

Another one last night which seemed a good fit so I went ahead with the interview only to find out that the promised 16 classes turned out to include 6 of primary school kids. I explained that I don't wish to teach this age group and therefore see no point in continuing with the interview.

This is my point, surely it's of no benefit in wasting everyone's time.

The reason I asked about office hours was because of the person saying it is a requirement of the education board. I thought maybe this is something new but it sounds like its a ruse to cover themselves.

Having gone through all the loops to get all my documents verified, authenticated etc, I'm already starting to feel drained before I even get a job!

#56 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-08

Taffy,

Respectfully:

The recruiter 'introduces you' to XYZ Middle School in Huludao in Liaoning. The recruiter gives you the name and telephone number of a person "at the school" who he SAYS is the "Director of Foreign Affairs".

Now what?

You call this 'person' whose English skills are limited... how do you credentialize her or the information? Could she be the recruiter's wife?

Few Chinese high schools have English websites. You can google translate the many pages of their Chinese website if they have one, but then what? If they have current foreign teachers, you can ask for their telephone numbers in China. You are not likely to receive contact information for the teachers that quit or did runners.

Then there is the issue of living in Huludao and the school's FT residences.

I still recommend that NES newbies in China limit themselves to direct contact to schools with English websites. For Universities this is a no-brainer.

A while back I even outlined how to directly contact and credentialize national English school 'chains' in China (as Trump Diplomacy).

Recruiters are not necessary. Yes, if you are working in China and familiar with the procedures, you may be able to use multiple recruiters as tools in your search, as you suggest. And if your wife or girlfriend is fluent in Chinese, you are fortunate.

But for almost all first-time teachers in China, I believe that recruiters are a dangerous commodity and an unnecessary risk.

#57 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-08

I never ever did office hours at any public university in China. Forget about anyone who expects you to do this.

Anybody who expects more than 16 hours a week for less than 8000 rmb a month is to be ignored.

Also, forget about any school that expects you to present different lesson plans for each class, or any school that asks you to give then copies of ANY lesson plans.

Certainly not, if you work at a university you expect to turn up with a lesson plan or two which normally does all your classes for the week.. I knew a teacher who would turn up with a microwave, six eggs and a bag of flour and do cookery lessons hahaha! Can be good with about 12 lessons a week and 3 or 4 days off. Can be lonely , uncomfortable with cold windy corridors, up and down different blocks-lessons cancelled.

I did 6 hours a day in a TC where 2 of those were office hours. We had free meals (good ones) sex with colleagues but you normally pay for the drinks. a flat allowance of the required rent. air fair paid, holidays paid. Salary 13000 but that was a good few years ago. All the lesson plans were provided for you. You needed the office hours they maintained to collate and make handouts. All chinglish but teacher-friendly.

#58 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-08

I agree.

Furthermore, agents and recruiters are an integral part of the employment process for all kinds of employment, not just for EFL/ESL jobs.

If an FT croaks it or does a bunk, most agents and recruiters can find a candidate to fill the unexpected vacancy in two shakes of a lamb's tail!

#59 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-08

If you are using recruiters, office-hour deception is the least of your problems.

There are different types of agents/recruiters in China. There's the type whom you have nowt to do with once you have signed a contract with a school and another who will be your employer and will have a contract with a middle school or university where they will send you.

Any sort of agent will lie and often lie by omission, but since you will at the final stages of securing a position need to quiz the actual employer whether you have an agent or not, then you may as well use an agent.

As for the office environment of a training centre, it can be a good vehicle for the newbie to make friends, obviating the lonely man's need for, pink rooms, pizzahutt, McDonald and KFC.

We are all different, some of us prefer to do any lesson plans at home in out own flat. If you are a bit slow making friends, maybe a training centre with its office is best.

#60 Parent BeenThere - 2017-04-08

Ha ha ha

#61 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-08

One recruiter in particular

If you are using recruiters, office-hour deception is the least of your problems.

#62 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-08

I never ever did office hours at any public university in China. Forget about anyone who expects you to do this.

Anybody who expects more than 16 hours a week for less than 8000 rmb a month is to be ignored.

Also, forget about any school that expects you to present different lesson plans for each class, or any school that asks you to give then copies of ANY lesson plans.

Lyle_S - 2017-04-07
mandatory office hours

I'm in the process of applying or a new job in China and am trying to sift through the myriad of offers which I am being given.

Just a quick question really.

I have specified that I wish to teach in public schools. One recruiter in particular seemed to get a little offended when I said I do not want a job with office hours. I got a rather curt reply which said 'then I have nothing for you, it is a requirement by the education bureau that foreign teachers undertake office hours'.

Is this truly the case? I have seen advertisements which specify 'no office hours'. I am not interested in working in training centres, so why the need for this in public schools?

Any ideas?

Return to Index › mandatory office hours

Go to another board -