TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Mouldy Old Dough
#1 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-30
Re Saving the world one 'shroom at a time

Couldn't access that link.

#2 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-28
Re Mouldy Old Dough

Yep, I love BBQ's and I love beer bar girls also. They really know how to look after men.

#3 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Saving the world one 'shroom at a time

In Asia I only eat out a restaurants. I could not be bothered cooking and I'm not good at it
anyway. In Australia I cook steak and mushrooms and bacon and eggs but that's about it.

If I am with a bar girl in Pattaya for a few weeks when I live there full time I will ask her
to cook for me. Many ex-pats there do this. They are good at cooking.

Re 'shrooms, very interesting listening imo:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/food-empowerment/8472502

#4 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Re Mouldy Old Dough

In Asia I only eat out a restaurants. I could not be bothered cooking and I'm not good at it anyway. In Australia I cook steak and mushrooms and bacon and eggs but that's about it.

I bet your steak and 'shrooms taste great. Also your bacon and eggs. I think you must like attending outdoor barbecues where you can eat your fill
in fine Australian weather.

If I am with a bar girl in Pattaya for a few weeks when I live there full time I will ask her to cook for me. Many ex-pats there do this. They are good at cooking.

I bet those bar girls are bar(becue) girls too!

#5 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-27
Re Mouldy Old Dough

In Asia I only eat out a restaurants. I could not be bothered cooking and I'm not good at it anyway. In Australia I cook steak and mushrooms and bacon and eggs but that's about it.

If I am with a bar girl in Pattaya for a few weeks when I live there full time I will ask her to cook for me. Many ex-pats there do this. They are good at cooking.

#6 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-27
Re Mouldy Old Dough

please no other poster's handle]

Yes that's not on, you tell him Hahaha!

What about a nice kipper with malt vinegar and pepper? Did you see Ace Rimmer in Red Dwarf, he was partial to a kipper.

#7 Parent [please no other poster's handle] - 2017-04-27
Re Mouldy Old Dough

Yep, smoked haddock and chips is a tasty dish.

I think you will enjoy the Brit TV series (online) whose link I have provided below, given that you are a former restaurateur!

http://www.primewire.ag/watch-115937-Pie-in-the-Sky-online-free

To be honest they were only working men's type joints and I didn't run them.

But that link is of real interest, thanks- I will save it for Blighty.

I like my smoked haddock with spinach, poached eggs and new potatoes. I will try chips though.

#8 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-27
Re Mouldy Old Dough

I did own a couple of restaurants in England but would sooner not eat in restaurants at all. You can't beat your own grub if you can buy what you want. Like smoked haddock.

Yep, smoked haddock and chips is a tasty dish.

I think you will enjoy the Brit TV series (online) whose link I have provided below, given that you are a former restaurateur!

http://www.primewire.ag/watch-115937-Pie-in-the-Sky-online-free

#9 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-27
Re Mouldy Old Dough

I did own a couple of restaurants in England but would sooner not eat in restaurants at all. You can't beat your own grub if you can buy what you want. Like smoked haddock.

#10 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-27
Re Mouldy Old Dough

I suppose the Chinese just try to make the most of what they've got as far as food is concerned. No, they have nothing like the fresh and clean produce Aussies, Brits, and Thais have access to. Gotta say though I have been to a few good restaurants in China. In general though SE-Asia is the place to go for a culinary experience.

#11 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26
Re Mouldy Old Dough

It is interesting that some of the best food shops are in fairly obscure locations. I would not have found that spare rib place in Pattaya if a friend had not told me about it. On the corner of 2 nd road and a fairly quiet Soi.

I would have just walked straight past it if I was not specifically told about it.

#12 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26
Re Mouldy Old Dough

I only liked southern China because of the warmer weather and proximity to SE-Asia. In fact, I prefer to eat Dongbei ( north east ) Chinese food.

You can get mantou even in a culinary wasteland like Nanning. It is not good. Agree that bread in northern China is ten times better than in the south. Changchun has great bakeries and you can get real coffee.

In Nanning you can't. And no people, Starbucks does not count.

Also, when I was in Nanning there were only two or three places in the entire city where you can get really good jiaozi. Unlike in the north where it is all over the place.

Nanning and Guilin is mostly just rubbish noodle shops. Also, dongbei girls are tall and pretty and leggy and have really long hair. I also thought they were much more friendly and better educated.

If I was going to look for a Chinese wife ( I'm not ) I'd go straight to somewhere like Hangzhou or Shenyang. However, that terrible TV show "If You Are The One" on Jiangsu TV gives dongbei women a bad reputation.

Surely they can't all be like the hideous young women on that dating show.

#13 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-26
Re Mouldy Old Dough

2 rmb buns, you really know how to live it up, lol! I wonder if I can buy those in Pattaya, never seen them there. I discovered the best spare rib place ever in Pattaya in 2015, I ve been there a few times since. Only 195 baht and you get a huge plate of chips as well. I will post a pic on here in a few weeks time when I am back.

My post can be considered as a a tip on how to stop pre-wrapped moist steamed bread from developing mold. It is also a way for thrifty FTs to save money. Steamed breads, at 2 for 1 RMB, are much cheaper than Chinese loaves of bread, and are sugar-free. Mantou is a staple food of Northern China. Maybe you don't know that as you prefer Southern China. In contrast, I prefer the north of China, and its food. I can easily afford to eat out here too, and enjoy spare ribs at a fraction of what they would cost in the west.

#14 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26
Re Steamed Bread & Magpie Pie?

Glad to know you have catholic tastes in music.

#15 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26
Re Steamed Bread & Pigeon

I know pigeon pie and also rabbit was popular in Australia in the 50's and 60's. Never see it nowadays. I've never heard of eating magpies. Had two of them on my lawn today, it's been raining and they are looking for tucker.

#16 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26

I wonder if plovers are edible also? Nasty little fuckers though, they have that spur on them, can injure dogs and cats.

#17 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26
Re Mouldy Old Dough

2 rmb buns, you really know how to live it up, lol! I wonder if I can buy those in Pattaya, never seen them there. I discovered the best spare rib place ever in Pattaya in 2015, I ve been there a few times since. Only 195 baht and you get a huge plate of chips as well. I will post a pic on here in a few weeks time when I am back.

I think expat hubby is saying if you have to live on a diet which gives precious little choice you may as well be organised with what you've got, and he's quite right.

That said, although Chinese food is pretty scrumptious....Hahahaha! there's not a lot of choice really, is there? The fresh produce at the market and in the produce area in Chinese supermarket is far from fresh and often pretty disgusting with spuds rotting from the inside and it's lucky if some phlegm hasn't landed on them fresh strawberries.

You can get delicious roasted duck and chicken down our street. Trouble is the Chinese don't believe in feeding their poultry and there's hardly any flesh on the bones. You can cook your own chicken and maybe buy it sourced from a more-meat-on-the-bone outlet, but it's still just as likely to give you food poisoning , howsoever you cook it.

I'm a bit pissed off tonight as I thought tomorrow were Friday. Her indoors only allows me to drink on Friday, but it's only Thursday tomorrow!! She says I'll live longer. But what i was gong to say, good enough beer is cheap in China and that's a food in itself.

Her indoors woke up in tears this morning said she dreamed I was blown up, so best not have a drink until Friday- but it's a nuisance!

#18 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-26

Yep, thanks for your reply.
I ate steamed bread and pigeon at a Spring Festival village wedding some years ago - it tasted very good. I gave it a try, enjoyed it, and asked wot the meat was. It reminded me of the song below:

Still eaten in UK but not by the lower-orders. Rook pie is superb- just a hint of bitterness like other game.

Unfortunately, there are no rooks here. But maybe magpie pie would taste just the same! Here there are too many magpies flying around!

The Thieving Magpie ("la Gazza Ladra"): Overture [Excerpt]

http://music.163.com/#/song?id=39324847

#19 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26

I ate steamed bread and pigeon at a Spring Festival village wedding some years ago - it tasted very good. I gave it a try, enjoyed it, and asked wot the meat was. It reminded me of the song below:

Still eaten in UK but not by the lower-orders. Rook pie is superb- just a hint of bitterness like other game.

#20 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-25
Re Mouldy Old Dough

#21 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-25

I frequently buy a small bag of 4 steamed breads for 2 rmb.
When I GET IT HOME I open the clear plastic bag and separate the mantou, and let the moisture evaporate for about 1 hour. Then I repack the mantou into 2 small bags, twist the neck of each bag together, and place the 2 bags into the fridge department of my fridge-freezer.No moldy mantou, even afer 1 week in't fridge!
However, my adoring wife can't be bothered to follow my good example - after 4 days in't fridge, moldy old dough, remember the song?
One evening at my corner shop, about 12 bags of mantou with green mold on a shelf unsold - wot a waste!
By the way, at home I slice the mantou and pop the slices into my toaster.
Mouldy Old Dough - Lieutenant Pigeon
http://music.163.com/#/song?id=32160046

A truly great British hit song of !972. it was a hit for four weeks and succeeded by another great song ;Claire by Gilbert O'Sullivan. A good post expat hubby

Skyline Pigeon by Elton John

You can enjoy the song via the link below.

http://mp3clan.com/

( Of course, pigeon pie was popular in Blighty in olden times )

#22 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-25
Re Mouldy Old Dough

When I GET IT HOME I open the clear plastic bag and separate the mantou, and let the moisture evaporate for about 1 hour. Then I repack the mantou into 2 small bags, twist the neck of each bag together, and place the 2 bags into the fridge department of my fridge-freezer.No moldy mantou, even afer 1 week in't fridge!

However, my adoring wife can't be bothered to follow my good example - after 4 days in't fridge, moldy old dough, remember the song?

One evening at my corner shop, about 12 bags of mantou with green mold on a shelf unsold - wot a waste!

A truly great British hit song of !972. it was a hit for four weeks and succeeded by another great song ;Claire by Gilbert O'Sullivan. A good post expat hubby

expat hubby - 2017-04-25
Mouldy Old Dough

Return to Index › Mouldy Old Dough

Go to another board -