TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › China's going mad
#1 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-30
Re China's going mad

Yep, too bad for those Pattaya university students. I'll give everyone on here the heads up. There is quite a big market in the Chonburi area for Chinese learning, even though most Pattaya residents detest the Chinese. Still, they will use the Chinese to make money. Might be ok for a few hours a week private tuition. I would expect to be "rewarded" in a special way of course!

So, if you are a white guy in Pattaya who speaks Chinese you could do quite well I think. I have had several people approach me and ask me to teach them Chinese in my time there. If you have We Chat or Line it's easy to meet people if bars are not your thing.

#2 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

Yes, foreigners in China are also scared to criticize the government. I mean, they might have their visa cancelled and get deported! They would have to move to another Asian country. They might never see their precious wives again! It is so sad, lol!

FTs in China would be foolish to criticize the Chinese government. They are in China to teach or to be with their Chinese spouses, whatever.

These days, many people have lost interest in politics. That includes me.

#3 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

Yes, foreigners in China are also scared to criticize the government. I mean, they might have their visa cancelled and get deported! They would have to move to another Asian country. They might never see their precious wives again! It is so sad, lol!

#4 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

No, I have not looked for a teaching job in Pattaya, public school or otherwise. I think Pattaya is just for retired Western men and tourists. I don't want to teach there or do any sort of work there. As there are so many distractions and it would be impossible to concentrate. Another thing, why bother working when you could be having fun every day? Go out late, sleep in, have brunch, lie on the beach for a while, then about 3 pm head on down to Soi 6 for a few beers and pretty girls. Then hit the beer bars again about 7pm. That is the life.

I'd have thought you'd have wanted to keep your hand in. However, fair enough.

Pattaya's further education students won't be able to benefit from your stellar teaching. That'll be their loss.

#5 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

No, I have not looked for a teaching job in Pattaya, public school or otherwise. I think Pattaya is just for retired Western men and tourists. I don't want to teach there or do any sort of work there. As there are so many distractions and it would be impossible to concentrate. Another thing, why bother working when you could be having fun every day? Go out late, sleep in, have brunch, lie on the beach for a while, then about 3 pm head on down to Soi 6 for a few beers and pretty girls. Then hit the beer bars again about 7pm. That is the life.

#6 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

Great post, bro!

#7 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

To give a balanced approach, I did work at university I liked in China for a few years. I returned there in 2014 and it was shit however.

The staff were friendly, plenty of girls asking to be my GF or even wife, never any talk about money. That was in 2010, 2011, 2012. I had a post-graduate student GF at my uni and the teachers there even said, "we are happy for you". I was getting offered heaps of extra work there for extra money but I only wanted to work three days a week.

There was no pressure, no stress, no bullshit. I'd just go and do the classes and then go out to a restaurant and later to the pub.

Then, all of a sudden, it was like a switch had been flicked. I think it was when the smart phones became really popular, young women became super materialistic at that time, along with the rest of the population. After that, all I was hearing was, "marry me, buy me a house, I need a car", etc. Got sick and tired of hearing it.

It is too late now, things will not go back to the 2007-2010 times. This new leader in China is well and truly fucking the place up.

BTW, what I said in my my previous post is all true. The negatives about China I mean.

I agree with most of what you say, but I do not wish to comment on political matters. However, you must realize that as an older foreigner, girls who want to befriend you may well be after your money or the chance of emigrating to Australia. I'm surprised how brash those girls were. In the north, they aren't like that!

#8 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

"I've never breached my visa conditions in any country I've lived in. I've never overstayed. I have always worked and resided legally in other countries.

There is nothing for me in China now, it had simply "had it's day" as I hear many other former China ex-pats say.

No reason for me to work there now, I never relied on teaching money anyway. It is peanut money.

I know people who lived in China before in Wuhan, Nanning and Guilin They said they were "sick of pretending it's good".

They left. So did I. I am just not going to let an idiotic comment by someone about "fascinating culture" slide.

That's why I picked out China's faults. If you want to find fault with what will soon be my permanent home, Thailand,
please go ahead. At this stage I can't see any negatives."

For you, there's 0 in China now. That's the most important part of your post.

However, others do not think there's 0 for them here. And they resent being called losers. They are here to teach, and 'save and prosper'. Teaching in China can be a walk in the park, and the low cost of living here, coupled with rent-free accommodation allows THRIFTY FTs to save and prosper, even those teaching just 16 clock hours or so a week.

#9 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

I've never breached my visa conditions in any country I've lived in. I've never overstayed. I have always worked and resided legally in other countries.

There is nothing for me in China now, it had simply "had it's day" as I hear many other former China ex-pats say.

No reason for me to work there now, I never relied on teaching money anyway. It is peanut money.

I know people who lived in China before in Wuhan, Nanning and Guilin They said they were "sick of pretending it's good".

They left. So did I. I am just not going to let an idiotic comment by someone about "fascinating culture" slide.

That's why I picked out China's faults. If you want to find fault with what will soon be my permanent home, Thailand,
please go ahead. At this stage I can't see any negatives.

I'll go ahead. Let's talk positive, for the sake of thrifty garden FTs currently teaching at public Chinese universities. Can those FTS save and prosper to the same or to a greater extent in Thailand while teaching around 15 clock hours a week at public universities in rent-free accommodation? Is all of Thailand safe for westerners? How many vacancies are there in Thailand for public university FTs compared to China?

Is the supply and demand situation for such jobs weighted towards job applicants due to lack of interest from job applicants? Can a garden FT get university job offers easily throughout Thailand? Have you sought a public university/college teaching post in Pattaya?

#10 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

Oh, by the way, I do agree with you about pretend teachers.

No ,no, heresay, you don't really; as we both know, there's good teachers, there's bad teachers, there's teachers that should not be teaching, there's teachers teaching on fake degrees...but they all teach, even if it's just to say "Mr Bean is jolly good for making you think about your grammar- pull them curtains tight!" Now that may well be a load of old polony but said not-very-good-teacher has taught it anyway.

Now, it's good to have you back. heretosay, but Emeline Pankhurst from LA has given the inventor of that pretend term the BIG-E some weeks ago now and you is not to mention it again otherwise she'll be down on you like a ton of bricks (that's a phrase which only means a ton of bricks) PS, not to mention DEECHER either.

#11 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

In fact, I agree with you to a certain extent. Yes, if I was still in China chasing women I'd say my chances of snagging a twenty something are close to zero unless I was to spend a shitload of money. I'm 48. I think I'd be flat out attracting any woman under about 34. My former model looks don't cut it anymore. I know it. In Thailand it's different, big age gaps are normal there. A handsome 50 year old can still attract a pretty 27 year old Thai gal. One day in 2014 a 54 year old friend of mine with a thick Irish accent said to me, "Shaun, it just dawned upon me that I'm too fucking old" . "Too old to attract women in China anymore". Now he actually was quite happy in China". He left in 2015 .Apart from a lack of women in China and the better weather in Thailand I doubt he would have left. He was from Ireland, a cold country anyway. He had been in China for ten years. I don't blame him for leaving .Most men want love and sex and don't want to be alone. As for me, I am not interested in women over 35, or 38 would be my upper limit. So in that respect, at 48 I have passed my use by date in China. I can't attract early thirties women in China anymore. I always have a Plan B though, women in Thailand don't care about my age. I don't need Chinese women anymore.

#12 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

I've never breached my visa conditions in any country I've lived in. I've never overstayed. I have always worked and resided legally in other countries.

I see. And the likelihood that you aren't as attractive to Chinese girls as you used to be due to your advancing years has nothing to do with your negative attitude towards China either?

Calling 'teaching money' peanut money and saying you never relied on it shows your arrogance. Of course, your lifestyle requires more money than common-or-garden foreign teachers can earn. Moreover, in Asia China has the most university vacancies for FTs as well as the lowest entry requirements for such posts.

Unlike you, most garden FTs at universities in China do not call their salaries peanut money!

I do not think China's culture is fascinating, but if that other poster thinks so, that's his problem. There's loads on the net to counter HIS view of the culture in China, which is DEFINITELY a minority view.

#13 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

To give a balanced approach, I did work at university I liked in China for a few years. I returned there in 2014 and it was shit however.

The staff were friendly, plenty of girls asking to be my GF or even wife, never any talk about money. That was in 2010, 2011, 2012. I had a post-graduate student GF at my uni and the teachers there even said, "we are happy for you". I was getting offered heaps of extra work there for extra money but I only wanted to work three days a week.

There was no pressure, no stress, no bullshit. I'd just go and do the classes and then go out to a restaurant and later to the pub.

Then, all of a sudden, it was like a switch had been flicked. I think it was when the smart phones became really popular, young women became super materialistic at that time, along with the rest of the population. After that, all I was hearing was, "marry me, buy me a house, I need a car", etc. Got sick and tired of hearing it.

It is too late now, things will not go back to the 2007-2010 times. This new leader in China is well and truly fucking the place up.

BTW, what I said in my my previous post is all true. The negatives about China I mean.

#14 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

#15 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

Well, you have not changed at all. Still arrogant as ever, haha!

Are you one of those "red dwarfs" Taffs spoke about? Your energy slowly dwindling away, hehe!

I prefer to be a supernova, it's more my style.

"one of the most fascinating cultures out there" .............wtf! Yep, greed, corruption, environmental destruction, total censorship of the media, severe restrictions on the movement of your own people, brainwashing a population into thinking that marriage is important just so it's easier to control them. What else, yes, beating up women and jailing them for organizing women's rights marches, "shaming" prostitutes in public, "block wardens" looking in rubbish bins to see if women have had their periods. I wonder how many other things I can come up with?

Oh, I know, people pissing and shitting in the street, spitting everywhere, barking like dogs into their mobile phones.

It's all very "fascinating", LOL!

I say well done Dean, you worked out what China is like very quickly, unlike some head in the sand, "shhh, don't offend anyone" PC posters out there.

Silverboy, we know from your posts that you have become a China hater. We wonder why it took you 8 continuous years of teaching in China to morph into such an extreme critic of China. Could it be that you had gotten yourself into serious trouble with Chinese immigration and as a result can no longer obtain a Chinese Z visa?

#16 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

Students pretend to be students
Teachers pretend to be teachers

And you? Pretending to have the ability to discern and yet failing miserably will get you labeled, too. You may never hear said label or labels or have them directed at you in writing, but they're there. And they're there because, well, it's pretty obvious that you're an ass with a shallow mind who shouldn't have been in China anyway. Your personal agenda had nothing to do with helping Chinese students or improving your mind through exposure to one of the most fascinating cultures out there.

So there's your label: a shallow minded ass

But feel not alone; the internet is rife with your shallow minded brethren. You'll be alright. Just get a little education and a whole lot more sophistication and you'll do just fine. Meanwhile, enjoy your label.

Oh, by the way, I do agree with you about pretend teachers. There are a lot of them in China, but the weeding process is under way. Enjoy it.

Oh, and kudos for figuring China out so quickly during your short stay. There are scholars who've spent a life time on such an endeavor who will tell you that they'd need another lifetime to come close to understanding it all. So, yeah, well done..............Not.

'Dean' is a disgrace to the teaching profession. He does not respect his students nor his colleagues nor his university. He thinks China is a 'sewer of a country'. He should never have come to China in the first place. He comes across as an apprentice of Slaverboy!

#17 Parent Fifi - 2017-04-29
Re: Re China's going mad

I like very much your description of the culture :o)

#18 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

Well, you have not changed at all. Still arrogant as ever, haha!

Are you one of those "red dwarfs" Taffs spoke about? Your energy slowly dwindling away, hehe!

I prefer to be a supernova, it's more my style.

"one of the most fascinating cultures out there" .............wtf! Yep, greed, corruption, environmental destruction, total censorship of the media, severe restrictions on the movement of your own people, brainwashing a population into thinking that marriage is important just so it's easier to control them. What else, yes, beating up women and jailing them for organizing women's rights marches, "shaming" prostitutes in public, "block wardens" looking in rubbish bins to see if women have had their periods. I wonder how many other things I can come up with?

Oh, I know, people pissing and shitting in the street, spitting everywhere, barking like dogs into their mobile phones.

It's all very "fascinating", LOL!

I say well done Dean, you worked out what China is like very quickly, unlike some head in the sand, "shhh, don't offend anyone" PC posters out there.

#19 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

You nailed it.

#20 Parent BeenThere - 2017-04-29

Funny!
The poor guy won't post here again any time soon

#21 Parent heretosay - 2017-04-29
Re China's going mad

And you? Pretending to have the ability to discern and yet failing miserably will get you labeled, too. You may never hear said label or labels or have them directed at you in writing, but they're there. And they're there because, well, it's pretty obvious that you're an ass with a shallow mind who shouldn't have been in China anyway. Your personal agenda had nothing to do with helping Chinese students or improving your mind through exposure to one of the most fascinating cultures out there.

So there's your label: a shallow minded ass

But feel not alone; the internet is rife with your shallow minded brethren. You'll be alright. Just get a little education and a whole lot more sophistication and you'll do just fine. Meanwhile, enjoy your label.

Oh, by the way, I do agree with you about pretend teachers. There are a lot of them in China, but the weeding process is under way. Enjoy it.

Oh, and kudos for figuring China out so quickly during your short stay. There are scholars who've spent a life time on such an endeavor who will tell you that they'd need another lifetime to come close to understanding it all. So, yeah, well done..............Not.

#22 Parent Fifi - 2017-04-28

Agree totally with your last 2 sentences

#23 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

Yeah, right, As if Chinese employers have any morals. At Chinese universities nobody really gives a shit who you are banging. As for banging one's own students however, it is generally seen as being a bit unprofessional in most places. It is not a moral issue however, neither is prostitution for that matter. In China marriage is mostly prostitution anyway.

#24 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

It's ok to "bang many chicks" as long as they are not your own students. Fucking one's own students is really not right , even in a country like China with pretend universities, pretend teachers and pretend students.

My morals as a teacher wouldn't allow me to bang many chicks, and you saying it's ok doesn't mean your Chinese employer would agree with you.

This 'pretend stuff' wouldn't go down well with Chinese employers either!

#25 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

If you are happy there then good for you. I was not so I left. Even if I was happy in some way there I would have left. The weather and pollution in China is more than enough to turn many people off. I finally realized after 8 years that there was nothing for me in China. So many of my my friends had left and gone elsewhere. All of the ex-pat venues had closed down, no customers. The pink light districts are almost non-existent. Picking up regular girls in bars and students whilst still possible had become more difficult. Then a friend of mine suggested Pattaya, the utopia of Asia. I have wondered why I wasted so much time in China. A friend of mine with a Chinese wife told me he would go straight to Pattaya if he had his time over again. If you want to toot the horn for China and it's shitty government and (mostly ) shitty women, be my guest.

Each to their own sense of happiness and pursuit thereof.

#26 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

If you are happy there then good for you. I was not so I left. Even if I was happy in some way there I would have left. The weather and pollution in China is more than enough to turn many people off. I finally realized after 8 years that there was nothing for me in China. So many of my my friends had left and gone elsewhere. All of the ex-pat venues had closed down, no customers. The pink light districts are almost non-existent. Picking up regular girls in bars and students whilst still possible had become more difficult. Then a friend of mine suggested Pattaya, the utopia of Asia. I have wondered why I wasted so much time in China. A friend of mine with a Chinese wife told me he would go straight to Pattaya if he had his time over again. If you want to toot the horn for China and it's shitty government and (mostly ) shitty women, be my guest.

#27 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

It's ok to "bang many chicks" as long as they are not your own students. Fucking one's own students is really not right , even in a country like China with pretend universities, pretend teachers and pretend students.

#28 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

2000 rmb in nothing. I used to spend that in less than a fortnight just on food, beer, and taxis. If someone is living in China and can't even afford a 2000 rmb fine they should not be living there.

You need an update on the cost of dining out here in a major city of Northern China THESE DAYS at a medium-sized BUFFET restaurant, of which there are quite a few, which offer a very good deal for 2 diners or more. Book a table in advance. High quality lamb hotpot, steak pie, pizza, Xinjiang grill, free beer, free wine, free soft drinks, free tea/coffee, and free desserts, including slices of watermelon and cream cake.

Cost = 110 RMB for 2 diners at the one where I choose to take my wife to. You can eat and drink your fill lunchtime or dinnertime.

We can enjoy 19 such meals for 2,000 RMB!

#29 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

2000 rmb in nothing. I used to spend that in less than a fortnight just on food, beer, and taxis. If someone is living in China and can't even afford a 2000 rmb fine they should not be living there.

It's not about a foreign teacher being able to afford the fine or not. It's about avoiding the possibility of being fined by obeying the visa regulations. Better he/she has that money to spend as he/she sees fit than it being in the hands of the police.

#30 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

Chinese university means nothing

It's just a facade like everyone in china

Just get drunk and bang many chics

There is no other point in living in that sewer of a country

Chinese students are indeed fortunate not to have you as their foreign teacher. You certainly wouldn't deserve their respect. Getting drunk in your leisure time is okay, but banging many chicks will damage your good reputation at your university, that's for sure. You will probably be out on your ear before you have realized there's a chance of it happening!

#31 Parent Curious - 2017-04-28

Ha ha ha

#32 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

Universities in China vary in quality just like the universities of every country.
I'm sure your esteemed alma mater has invited you to return to campus next month to give the graduation address.

#33 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

Said universities have excellent reputations within China, and that's wot counts!
It doesn't matter a damn if they don't have stellar reputations in the west.

I don't think it counts. China can't ever have decent universities, nor can it be a really
decent society. It is because of the government there and the indoctrination of the
people.

China's decent enough to provide rent-free accommodation and salaries substantial enough to allow its thrifty FTs to save much money. generally and relatively speaking. They shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them. I get more freedom here than I would back home because of my financial status here.

A society that is based upon oppression and fear can't be great. If China was a democracy and
an open society where people could freely express their ideas and opinions I would have
a different view of China.

I don't need to live in a great society to be happy. Much of politics is crap in my view. I'm not interested in it to any great extent. For many FTs in China, the pros outweigh the cons. That's why they're still here, unlike you.

Big yawn!

#34 Parent Dean - 2017-04-28
Re China's going mad

It's just a facade like everyone in china

Just get drunk and bang many chics

There is no other point in living in that sewer of a country

#35 Parent Curious - 2017-04-28

I agree, fear is never a good foundation.

#36 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-27
Re China's going mad

I don't think it counts. China can't ever have decent universities, nor can it be a really decent society. It is because of the government there and the indoctrination of the people.

A society that is based upon oppression and fear can't be great. If China was a democracy and an open society where people could freely express their ideas and opinions I would have a different view of China.

#37 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-27
Re China's going mad

#38 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-27
Re China's going mad

Better to just take a risk and get fined IMO. Having to register at a police station within 24 hours is ridiculous. I only registered once in my entire time in China, in 2015, and I was not always living on a university campus.

I believe the fine would be 2,000 RMB. That's more than enough to keep me and the wife for a calendar month!

These days I think it's risky to take Silverboy's advice. Those of you who take his advice and are found out, well, wot can I say!

Y'all can eat crow!

Once a policewoman came to my privately rented flat in Nanning and asked me if a woman was living with me. I was a bit pissed off, it's none of her business. I was living alone at the time, but a few months earlier my GF was living with me.

Strangely enough, I always found university campuses in China the best place to bring girls back to your flat. Nobody cared, and I was very open about it.

But that was 2015, not now. Things may well have changed since then!

#39 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-27
Re China's going mad

Yes, it makes a lot of sense.

It is of the utmost importance that Chinese universities preserve their excellent reputations. Foreign teachers have a duty to their employers to maintain the status quo by conducting themselves in an exemplary fashion within and outwith the university campus on Chinese soil at all times.
Well there you are, Silverboy, it makes a lot of sense to our Trumpsey and ex-pat-Hubby lends his considerable weight to her that Chinese universities do not compromise their stellar reputations. Wot do you think?

Said universities have excellent reputations within China, and that's wot counts! It doesn't matter a damn if they don't have stellar reputations in the west.

#40 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

There is one way to deal with this: If the Chinese are going to place severe restrictions on foreigners in China then Western governments should place restrictions on Chinese nationals living in Sydney, London, LA, etc.

So if a Chinese gets a British visa for example, it should only be valid for the city they live in. So, if a Chinese girl lives in London for instance, she only has a visa for the Greater London area. If she goes outside that area she is in breach of her visa conditions.

Sound racist? This is the sort of thing the Chinese are doing to foreigners.

Also, I am waiting to see the effects of the foreign marriage ban that comes into force in China in January 2018.

#41 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26

About your friend and the chastity belt: It sounds unbelievable. Was it in 1982, or is he doing it these days? You mean, he puts the chastity belt on his wife before he leaves on a trip????

He wasn't working away at all then but we have kept in contact. Island folk can be....unusual- and that belt is true. No carriers were sunk. Lots of Whales were sunk being mistaken for submarines.

Off to the park with the girl- she makes friends so easily

#42 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26

I think a British ship sank because it was hit by an Exocet missile. The Brits still had the upper hand in that conflict though.

#43 Parent Caring - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

Local authorities see your trolling term "backpackers" as a threat to national security.

If you choose not to stay at a Chinese foreigner-approved hotel, but at a Chinese friend's home in an area that is not covered by your residence permit,you are obliged to register with the local police within 24 hours. If you don't do so, and you are found out, you'll be fined.
Hard to imagine that a country which has opened its borders and joined the international community (UN, WTO, ASEAN etc.) may have designated hotels for foreign guests and/or may have hotels that refuse to check in people with non-Chinese passports. Anyhow, my Residence Permit is NOT for one specific location but the whole nation. However the visa sticky states where it's been issued, it does NOT suggest that I should stay in one place. Get it through your thick skull that this is about hassling outsiders who pose an imminent danger to local communities and that this is about controlling locals who know little about the world except of what they are told at home.

Incidentally, being a backpacker doesn't preclude you from being a professional teacher. Nor does your being a weekend tripper.
So, professionals and/or business people, who have their valid permits to the nation, have to stay put in order not to spread their culture or compete with local businesses. One breed that can sow the seeds of development at home and abroad is not supposed to allow other breeds to do the same. Does this sound like a true globalization?

Conclusively, our governments should look at the Chinese who roam our nations, so that our national security and perhaps identity are intact. To globalize we must follow the trend.

#44 Parent Caring - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

The nation's laws must be followed by all in the nation. The agreements/contracts must be obeyed by all involved in as well. However, when I sign agreements things aren't always the same as they are when I am finish my agreements and when I stick to my deal I find others do not do the same quite often. When I ask them to follow, I am not respected enough. In any case, Chinese laws are re-written every year and some of them are hard to find out about. Now, I guess we should sign contracts the same day when the laws are re-written and look as hard as we can to see what they really are about. To the letter we should proceed with those ambiguous Chinese characters so that "misunderstandings" are avoided.

Over and Out
Caring

When FTs currently employed in China, signed their contracts, they agreed to obey China's laws. So they should follow them to the letter.
#45 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

The ability to collect data about FTs in China in a central location has certainly improved. The question is: who cares about FT behavior?

If there is a reason to scrutinize a particular FT now, the information is available. For the general 'blokes' (I've been reading to many Taffy posts) I'm not sure it makes any difference until you cross the border.

In a dozen years in China I was contacted only once by the police. Hu Jintao was visiting a resort hotel during the Boao Forum and I had booked a room in an adjoining hotel. The police wanted the telephone number of my employer. The hotel gave them my passport number and they were able to locate my cellphone number.

Maybe they bugged my room, in which case they were sorely disappointed, in several ways.

If you are a FT missionary raising funds for North Korea maybe you are at risk. I cannot imagine any CIA agent willing to go undercover as a FT teacher in Wall Street English in Chaoyang.

#46 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

Taffy, you exaggerate. Hardly 'house arrest'! You can explore your county. You can bus it to neighboring counties without having to show your passport. However, boarding a train, even just for a short provincial train ride, requires passport inspection at the train station in advance.

That's always been the case though- the showing your passport at the train station. Or are you saying they want to see if you went to the police station first of all?

I was a bit disappointed that SB seemed to have thrown away possible copulation. A policewoman is a woman after all and he should have tried to have bedded her- but we are all human I suppose.

i never had a visit from the police. In fact when we changed address they didn't want to know the address as it was in the same area. But they only have our word for that. Must have been that policewoman I groped hahaha!

#47 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26

The Hermes was an old carrier but a very good one. In the modern vernacular 'it so didn't sink' and it ended up being sold to the Indian navy I believe where it remained in service I believe until this year or last year. I think they laid the keel in the 1940's, like The Belgrano which served with the USA. Of course it had a bad end and was sunk by a British nuclear submarine when in service with the Argentinians. Anyway the object of the post-

I was wondering how many of our posteresses would not be too proud to wear one of these reassuring articles while in China if they have a boyfriend back home in USA?

#48 Parent Fifi - 2017-04-26

You went to Port Stanley! You were part of the war against Argentina. Can you tell us about your stay there? Weather, people, what you were doing?

Is it true that one of big ships of the UK almost sank because it was too old (was it a carrier?)

About your friend and the chastity belt: It sounds unbelievable. Was it in 1982, or is he doing it these days? You mean, he puts the chastity belt on his wife before he leaves on a trip????

#49 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

Better to just take a risk and get fined IMO. Having to register at a police station within 24 hours is ridiculous. I only registered once in my entire time in China, in 2015, and I was not always living on a university campus.

This is 2017, not 2015. The risk of being found out may well be much higher these days. When FTs currently employed in China, signed their contracts, they agreed to obey China's laws. So they should follow them to the letter. So should you, Silverboy if you were still teaching in China.

Once a policewoman came to my privately rented flat in Nanning and asked me if a woman was living with me. I was a bit pissed off, it's none of her business. I was living alone at the time, but a few months earlier my GF was living with me.
Strangely enough, I always found university campuses in China the best place to bring girls back to your flat. Nobody cared, and I was very open about it.

For security reasons, and to live rent-free near the classrooms, I always felt privileged living on campus. And I didn't mind gate curfews as I was not a person who enjoyed hanging out in bars or dancing the night away, unlike Silverboy.

It's probably better to not have a girlfriend living with you because it queers your pitch if you unexpectedly bump into another bit of skirt you want to be free to bring back.

No comment, Taffy. Each to their own. If I had one girl following me, that was enough for me!

As for the police- I think they size you up when you initially visit them and if they think you look trouble they will visit you- well one told me that.

Taffy, they are obliged to check out your accommodation and rental contract/house purchase contract when you apply for your Residence Permit or change your address. I don't mind them turning up here at any time as I've nothing to hide.

What it can amount to for many of us is no less than being under 'House Arrest' Sod that for a game of soldiers. If you put up with that you have no self-respect.

Taffy, you exaggerate. Hardly 'house arrest'! You can explore your county. You can bus it to neighboring counties without having to show your passport. However, boarding a train, even just for a short provincial train ride, requires passport inspection at the train station in advance.

#50 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26

A retainer
Like lawyers ;o)
LOL

I have a friend ,a Falkland Islander whom I met in Port Stanley. He has to go away on business from time to time and brought back a 'chastity belt' which he locks in position whenever he goes away. He says his wife is so chuffed and feels so precious and wanted. He feels relieved.

#51 Parent Caring - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

We're fine except times when my kids have to see/hear their dad's "different". Visiting PSB so often raises questions "why not me but you dad?"

Three kids and a Chinese wife, must be hell on earth.
#52 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

I suppose the twice a week thing is good, but what about bringing a new girl back on one of the other nights? Asian girls can be insanely jealous, many also have long black hair. No matter how well you clean up your flat there can often be a few strands of long hair lying around. This happened to me once in China before. A girl noticed it. Thai bar girls can be jealous also. If you have a favorite one you see on a regular basis and she sees you with another girl she gets very angry.

#53 Parent Fifi - 2017-04-26

A retainer
Like lawyers ;o)
LOL

#54 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

A friend of mine from Australia who lived in China agrees with you. He said he only wants his girl to visit him twice a week, do some cooking, clean up the house a bit and have sex with him.

He said he hates a woman living full time with him.

Twice a week she stays, arrives at 7 pm, is gone by 9 am the next morning. Then you can go out for steak and beers with the boys for lunch and hit the cocktail bar later. Yep, that is the only way to go. And then, like you said, if you meet another little filly that takes your fancy you can bring her back on a different night.

I prefer Pattaya though, can have whatever you like whenever you like with zero stress.

Yes, good but you need to put them on a retainer for that.

#55 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-26
Re China's going mad

A friend of mine from Australia who lived in China agrees with you. He said he only wants his girl to visit him twice a week, do some cooking, clean up the house a bit and have sex with him.

He said he hates a woman living full time with him.

Twice a week she stays, arrives at 7 pm, is gone by 9 am the next morning. Then you can go out for steak and beers with the boys for lunch and hit the cocktail bar later. Yep, that is the only way to go. And then, like you said, if you meet another little filly that takes your fancy you can bring her back on a different night.

I prefer Pattaya though, can have whatever you like whenever you like with zero stress.

#56 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

No big deal. It just means he dipped his wick three times. I know an obese bourbon swilling 58 year old Canadian in Nanning who still managed to get his 37 year old Chinese wife (whom he despises ) pregnant. They have a five year old daughter. He only stays with his wife because of the kid. He loves Pattaya and I ve met him several times there to go drinking and whoring. All good fun, haha!

#57 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

It's probably better to not have a girlfriend living with you because it queers your pitch if you unexpectedly bump into another bit of skirt you want to be free to bring back.

As for the police- I think they size you up when you initially visit them and if they think you look trouble they will visit you- well one told me that.

What it can amount to for many of us is no less than being under 'House Arrest' Sod that for a game of soldiers. If you put up with that you have no self-respect.

#58 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

You poor bastard, put on a 24 hour roster. Must have been like being in jail. Anyway, I am a bit tired today, I stayed up late drinking wine and watched "Wolf Creek 2". Really sick film, but the script is quite funny, especially when Mick the serial killer is asking the young British guy questions about Australia and the cricket.

#59 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

Hahaha! But he must have a good sperm count for an old codger. I was put on a 24 hour schedule for months just to produce one baby. I bet he hobbles around with a walking stick now.

#60 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

I am no "backpacker" but a professional teacher with three kids and a local wife.

Strewth, respect man respect!! But us oldies should go easy- did you know it's possible to traumatise the little fellow and if it ends up bent you have to take sodding great cartwheel-sized pills ('Potaba' comes to mind) for a year or two to straighten things out? That said, us old farts is proud of you.

#61 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

#62 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

#63 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

If you choose not to stay at a Chinese foreigner-approved hotel, but at a Chinese friend's home in an area that is not covered by your residence permit, you are obliged to register with the local police within 24 hours. If you don't do so, and you are found out, you'll be fined.

Incidentally, being a backpacker doesn't preclude you from being a professional teacher. Nor does your being a weekend tripper.

Ah yes, 'backpacker' you think of as pretty pure pursuit; sadly it's become a sort of dysphemistic expression they got hooked on when aiming to insult. You are quite right being a backpacker not only doesn't preclude you from being a teacher, it more likely means you have some academic qualifications. I bet our trumpsey steamed into China twenty years ago with a haversack, pink hair and ripped jeans- we should ask her?

#64 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

Chinese universities are a joke and always will be. A university where people can't think freely, must tow the party line and don't have freedom of expression and can't criticize the government is never any good.

Chinese people are still extremely scared to even slightly criticize their government in public.

And this is a country some posters on here idolize. It beggars belief!

#65 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

What "potential trouble" are you talking about? I am no "backpacker" but a professional teacher with three kids and a local wife. My family travels around when we want to have fun, when my wife goes on a business trip or when one of my kids plays formal tournaments in other local cities. We truly are busy and we have to travel to places in the country more often than others perhaps.

you bacpacker types and seekend trippers should follow the rules to avoid potential trouble.

If you choose not to stay at a Chinese foreigner-approved hotel, but at a Chinese friend's home in an area that is not covered by your residence permit, you are obliged to register with the local police within 24 hours. If you don't do so, and you are found out, you'll be fined.

#66 Parent Caring - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

What "potential trouble" are you talking about? I am no "backpacker" but a professional teacher with three kids and a local wife. My family travels around when we want to have fun, when my wife goes on a business trip or when one of my kids plays formal tournaments in other local cities. We truly are busy and we have to travel to places in the country more often than others perhaps.

you bacpacker types and seekend trippers should follow the rules to avoid potential trouble.
#67 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

Their "excellent reputations". Yeah, right! ROTFL!

#68 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

It is of the utmost importance that Chinese universities preserve their excellent reputations. Foreign teachers have a duty to their employers to maintain the status quo by conducting themselves in an exemplary fashion within and outwith the university campus on Chinese soil at all times.

Well there you are, Silverboy, it makes a lot of sense to our Trumpsey and ex-pat-Hubby lends his considerable weight to her that Chinese universities do not compromise their stellar reputations. Wot do you think?

#69 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

Foreigners have to report to local police stations where they are registered, if they wish to
travel from their to another Chinese location.

For over 8 years I have been informed by University FAO departments that this is the case. Like most Chinese 'laws' implementation varies by province and city. I suspect that the University's 'relationship' with local police is the primary determiner of FAO paranoia.
If you do travel in China and are staying at 4 or 5 star hotels, your location is logged into the police database at check-in. If you are leaving China for a few days to experience, say, the carnal pleasures of Thailand, your exit/entry activity is logged at the airport or border.
Universities in China are very concerned about notoriety in any form. They will often tell FTs that they are "concerned for their safety" when in actuality they are worried that your exploits in China will make the University famous on Weibo.

#70 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-04-25
Re China's going mad

Foreigners have to report to local police stations where they are registered, if they wish to
travel from their to another Chinese location.

For over 8 years I have been informed by University FAO departments that this is the case. Like most Chinese 'laws' implementation varies by province and city. I suspect that the University's 'relationship' with local police is the primary determiner of FAO paranoia.
If you do travel in China and are staying at 4 or 5 star hotels, your location is logged into the police database at check-in. If you are leaving China for a few days to experience, say, the carnal pleasures of Thailand, your exit/entry activity is logged at the airport or border.
Universities in China are very concerned about notoriety in any form. They will often tell FTs that they are "concerned for their safety" when in actuality they are worried that your exploits in China will make the University famous on Weibo.

#71 Parent Silverboy - 2017-04-24
Re China's going mad

Another reason not to live in China if that really is the case. So it is truly a police state. I've also said before that marriage is promoted in China because tight knit family units that are strictly monitored are much easier to control than de-facto couples and singles. That is what marriage is all about in China. Not because Chinese women have "good morals" or are "traditional", that's all BS!

#72 Parent expat hubby - 2017-04-24
Re China's going mad

caring - 2017-04-24
Foreigners have to report to local police stations where they are registered, if they wish to travel from their to another Chinese location. This rule has been mandated in some Chinese locations and FTs have been told to have to report their intentions to travel even for a day or two at weekends. Once FTs return, they are to report back again. The control over foreigners is tightening for varieties of reasons and so be aware of where you are or where you intend to go.

Good information, Caring. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to put up with that nonsense; anybody would thing we are dangerous Muslims. All depends how rigidly they implement- and it doesn't look good-be better off to teach elsewhere- let them get their English teachers from Eastern Europe and Africa-sod them! I do suspect we all are paying for the unpredictable Muslims. China can't very well say, we have a law for them and a law for others.

I'm a stay-at-home kinda bloke, so it don't affect me.

However, you bacpacker types and seekend trippers should follow the rules to avoid potential trouble.

#73 Parent Alias Taffy - 2017-04-24
Re China's going mad

caring - 2017-04-24
Foreigners have to report to local police stations where they are registered, if they wish to travel from their to another Chinese location. This rule has been mandated in some Chinese locations and FTs have been told to have to report their intentions to travel even for a day or two at weekends. Once FTs return, they are to report back again. The control over foreigners is tightening for varieties of reasons and so be aware of where you are or where you intend to go.

Good information, Caring. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to put up with that nonsense; anybody would thing we are dangerous Muslims. All depends how rigidly they implement- and it doesn't look good-be better off to teach elsewhere- let them get their English teachers from Eastern Europe and Africa-sod them! I do suspect we all are paying for the unpredictable Muslims. China can't very well say, we have a law for them and a law for others.

caring - 2017-04-24
China's going mad

Return to Index › China's going mad

Go to another board -