TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › changing jobs and staying in China
#1 Parent discerning_disector - 2017-05-22
Re changing jobs and staying in China

I give good advice and common sense to people, especially other men so they don't get cheated
and ripped off.

fair enough but if you are so anti-China why do you hang around these forums like a wet shower curtain?

#2 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-05-22

Let this be a warning to those intending to change schools, get all your stuff together and
don't let your existing school be tardy. I am sure it is going to cause frustration and
headaches for many others this summer.

Even if you had fielded your offers in February, if your current school is unwilling to provide the paperwork until June, it would make little difference.
The only ways I can think of to prevent this situation is:
1) require that your new employer provides a contract/residency permit that ends the following August.
2) seek positions in the same province; if you change provinces make sure the new employer is prestigious.
3) as previously suggested, subtly refuse to continue to teach and do grades if your current school doesn't provide the documentation in May.

The unfortunate reality is:
1) your current school has no incentive to support FTs leaving; the better a teacher you are, the less they want you to leave.
2) every school has the power to hold you hostage with the release documentation.
3) current regulations make the ability to change schools much more difficult; the government has no interest is promoting turnover and relocation in China: it makes keeping track of FTs more difficult for them.

If your new employer is a major provincial university, they have the ability to convince your current school to be compliant. For the record, in the past 5 years I have successfully changed universities 3 times in 3 provinces. It was an annoying process, but it was done given the influence and proactive effort of my new employers, both were '1st level' universities. I can not speak to the situation at High Schools and private schools.
I hope that your new residency permit does not end on June 30 or you may relive this nightmare. Once you have left, I hope you publish the name of your current employer; they need to be avoided.

#3 Parent Silverboy - 2017-05-22

I give good advice and common sense to people, especially other men so they don't get cheated and ripped off.

Here is a some advice for you: Instead of jumping through hoops and tons of paperwork and grovelling to those commie fucking
idiot employers of yours I suggest you go to Japan or Taiwan or somewhere else where there are LESS FUCKING PROBLEMS!

You blokes always sell yourselves short. I don't know how old you are but you are wasting your life working at that shit hole,
if you are young you are fucking yourself up.

You can do better!

#4 Parent Smartie - 2017-05-22
Re: Re changing jobs and staying in China

Hi Taffy!!!

#5 Parent WR - 2017-05-22

Maybe it is too much bother for you, however there are people here who have genuine issues and actually need help and advice. It is abundantly clear from your other posts that you dislike China, fair enough but perhaps if you didn't keep jumping on posts with nothing useful to say, save for derailing the topic into something to laugh about over a beer you might get more respect.

Anyway back to my problem. I said toned down words to those suggested and basically as the other foreigners who are leaving our school this year have also been told, it will be dealt with before gaokao which is 6th June. Seems there is nothing we can do about it. I will keep up the pressure.

I have also been advised by my intended school that they need the following documents to process a transfer, release letter, reference letter, official FEC cancellation notice, copy of previous foreign experts book, copy of authenticated degree (original required later), copy of passport, the list goes on. They have said that under the new rules they must have 28 days minimum remaining on the existing RP to transfer it otherwise the transfer may not go through in time. I also have to present myself at the new school and PSB at the final submission stage.

Let this be a warning to those intending to change schools, get all your stuff together and don't let your existing school be tardy. I am sure it is going to cause frustration and headaches for many others this summer.

#6 Parent Silverboy - 2017-05-20

Japanese are more popular, in both Bangkok and Pattaya, they have fat wallets, but in Pattaya the white man still rules. A Pattaya girl will always take a white guy first as a boyfriend.

Not sure about the Chinese, mainlanders are generally despised, in the Chonburi area anyway.

#7 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-05-20

I've been hearing that men who wear expensive sandals and watches
attract the best Asian bar girls.

While in Bangkok I heard that the working girls prefer Chinese and Japanese clients, for reasons of size, duration and generosity.
Thailand is a good location for penis reduction surgery.

#8 Parent Silverboy - 2017-05-19

Sounds like way too much of a hassle to me, and a bit of GW type behavior. Anyway, I'm going shopping, off to buy a brand new pair of Birkenstock sandals and a very expensive Seiko or Citizen watch. I've been hearing that men who wear expensive sandals and watches attract the best Asian bar girls.

Only the best for me, hehe!

#9 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-05-19

So far you have been professional.

Your current school is protecting their own interests. I recommend you have a chat with the Senior FAO manager:

"If you are able to provide the release document and cancel the FEC on line by next Wednesday I will be able to complete the process for my new employment. I understand that this is an inconvenience for your staff.

I want to stay through the end of this semester to teach all my classes at your school and to provide you with all your students grades.

If, however, I am unable to transfer my residency permits in China, I need to return home ASAP to look for a new job teaching in my hometown. The sooner I return home the better chance I have to find a job teaching there in September.

I hope that you are able to help me; I DO want to stay to finish my teaching at your school this semester."

They will get the message.

#10 Parent WR - 2017-05-19

My new school contacted my present school this morning and they told me that they said they can cancel the FEC online but they still need to go to the provincial HQ to get the document which I need. This is a six hour train ride away so will involve the HR staying overnight. Reading between the lines they seem to want to do this only when they are sure of who is leaving or not to avoid several trips. Apparently this official letter is fundamental and the transfer will not go through without it.

They seem to be sticking by their guns and won't give us this letter until our contract is finished and we turn our keys in etc. One of my colleagues who renewed last year said it was the same situation last year so I am at a loss now as to how to speed up the process. Existing RP expires June 26th and the new school say they need to start this process before the end of this month.

I'm really hell bent on not having to go home to sort out something that can be solved seemingly by someone getting on a train. Would it be possible for me to procure this letter myself or would I have no hope?

Any ideas?

#11 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-05-19

The whole thing seems to be getting more troublesome all the time.

I only have worked for universities and the three times that I moved 'out of province' the universities cooperated with each other, though I did need to travel in May to the new university's city to get my picture taken for the new RP and leave my passport. I did once need to convince the university to generate an 'early' termination letter without actually canceling the RP.

The situation does change to some extent every year and I'm not aware how private schools or high schools negotiate the process.

You can negotiate the 30 day extension of your existing RP yourself, but that doesn't solve the problem. Your new employer seems less than motivated.

#12 Parent WR - 2017-05-19

My new intended job was not in a university. They work all year.

I called them this morning and they said it is nothing to do with that. They said the PSB in Jiangsu where I intended going have really tightened up and they need a full month to process all the things.

I asked my current school and intended one about the RP expiry and they said that from this year, they will match the contract expiry exactly. No deviation. All my colleagues here have the same situation, our RP expires the day after our contract.

My school are at present not willing to give me the cancellation letter until I have returned the keys to my apartment and all my work is completed. They said that this is standard procedure.

I have asked the new school to speak to the HR here to try to sort things out between them, whether they will is another matter. The strange thing is that the new school advised me against getting a stay permit for 30 days as they have had trouble transferring this in the past. I mentioned travelling there in advance and while they did not say yes or no, they implied it might not be possible as they can't even progress the application at the moment as I am blocked without the cancellation letter. The system tells them that I currently have an active FEC. They sent me some screenshot in Chinese which a colleague told me means, 'application cannot continue. applicant has an active file in another jurisdiction'.

The whole thing seems to be getting more troublesome all the time. I will wait and see if the new school can get any joy out of my present school.

Anybody else had to deal with this? How did you deal with it?

Thanks.

#13 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-05-18

Please read what I wrote two posts above.

University FAO staff don't like to work during the summer break, but often times they must have one staff member processing new residency permits during July and early August.

Additionally, YOU must show flexibility to travel to the new employers local Immigration Police dept prior to the end of your current contract to have your new residency permit processed. This will involve holding your passport for a couple of weeks which can them be sent back to you.

FTs should always be aware of the END DATE of their residency permit and contracts. Do your best to convince the FAO department to date the residency permit as late as possible the following year in case you do decide to change employers.

If your relationship with your current employer is good, have the new employer's FAO department speak directly to them. They often show each other professional courtesy.

#14 Parent WR - 2017-05-18

I already signed a contract for a new gig in another province. No they are telling me the deal is off because they wanted to take care of my visa before their summer break at the end of June and now there's no time and that unless one is in the same province as this past year it's going to be difficult to get a new Z visa from June onward. Does anyone else know anything about this? And can you think of an easy way to change jobs and provinces without leaving the country?

#15 Parent caring - 2017-05-16

Doctor, the 10-month is a migrant while 12-month full time employee contract which means 13th month salary legally. But you write so smartly and beautifully.

Universities with 10 month contracts design them so they do not have to pay new or leaving FTs for the summer months when they are not teaching.
#16 Parent FTinPRC - 2017-05-16

Universities with 10 month contracts design them so they do not have to pay new or leaving FTs for the summer months when they are not teaching.

The contract itself is not the issue, it is the residency permit. The university who 'sponsors' the residency permit is responsible for the FTs behavior and location during the duration of the permit. In the event that you acquire a new employer, the issue is: Who takes responsibility for you during the month or two prior to your arrival at the new University? The residency permit is supposed to conform to the dates on your contract, but I have seen provinces provide RPs that extend beyond the contract dates, bridging the summer months in case the university elects to extend your contract.

Your new university has a vested interest in you arriving to teach. Have their FAO dept contact your current FAO dept to arrange for a 30 day extension (which is common) from the end date of your current RP and/or the new university can date your new contract from August 1 with a contract amendment which specifies that August is an "unpaid orientation period", salary begins at the date of your first class.

Requiring you to fly home and start a new Z-visa process is inane. If your new university refuses to make the adjustments above, find another employer.

#17 Parent Caring - 2017-05-16

To change employers you need to keep your passport's Z visa valid and get all the paperwork necessary with you. One of those documents is the release letter and the other may be the recommendation letter. On top of that, you may need the foreign expert evaluation paperwork (one form filled and stamped). Note that I have said "may" to two docs for the reason that not everyone does it the same way in the country.

As for your suggestion to stay on L visa, you should not convert to this choice because it is why you may have to leave the mainland to re-apply for the Z later. One of my colleagues had to travel to HK to get his Z prior to his Residence for work that he got later then.

Anyhow, 10 month contracts have their pros and cons; if your legal work permit expires before September when you are to start the new gig, you should ask your new employer to cooperate in order to keep you in the country. If your new employer does not cooperate, find another one who does. To avoid such nuisance in future, be firm on your request that you need your residence permit for 12 months to stay.

AlexW - 2017-05-15
changing jobs and staying in China

I have a new job in a new province for late August. Like so many universities, mine has a 10 month contract, with RP ending in July. The new school just recently said they think I have to return to my home country and apply for a whole new Z visa there before I can start working for them. This seems wrong to me, given I already applied for a Z once and got it there last year.

Lots of people switch jobs every year, lots on 10 month contracts, and they don't have to do that. What am I missing? Do others have 10 month contracts but 12 month visas? Is there anything I can do aside from that (the plane rides and expense are pretty horrifying to contemplate?). I heard you can use L tourist visas as a bridge, but that would only work if they would give me a Z/new WP here in country.

If anyone can shed some light on this, please let me know. It's giving me a huge headache right when I thought I had everything sorted out...

Return to Index › changing jobs and staying in China

Go to another board -