TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › callmefred - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent black serpent - 2007-05-23
just bear with my crap english - Teachers Discussion

Teaser, CALLMEFRED is busy on something. Let me do the job on his behalf.

ADJECTIVES
Ajectives have two functions: They modify nouns and pronouns, and they may also be used to complete linking,or copulative,verbs:

A happy person faces each new day optimistically.(the adjective happy modifies the noun person).

The last one to finish the race will receive a consolation prize. (The adjective last modifies the pronoun one.)

Ruth is content after she finishes a good meal and a full bottle of milk. (The adjective content completes the linking verb is. Such and adjective is called a predicate adjective.)

TYPES OF ADJECTIVES

There are three pricipal types of adjectives: descriptive,limiting, and proper. Descriptive adjectives name a quality or condition of the element modified: an unhappy marriage, a blue dress,a capable attorney, a broken axle. Limiting adjectives identify or enumerate the element modified: our table,present company,most people, his fiancee, eight days, second stanza. Proper adjectives are descriptive adjectives that derive from proper names: Shinto customs, California wine, Chinese checkers.

Adjectives that are used to complete linking, or copulating, verbs are called predicate adjectives. Common linking verbs include act, be, become, feel, prove, and seem. Linking verbs can also be completed by predicate nouns.

Together, predicate adjectives and predicate nouns are called predicate complements. Both types of predicate complements are illustrated in the following sentences:

Many people act sick on Monday mornings. (The linking verb act has the predicate complement sick. Since sick is an adjective, it is classified as a predicate adjective.)

She is a radiologist. (Because radiologist is a noun, it is classified as a predicate noun.)

They seem content. (Because content is an adjective, it is classified as a predicate adjective.)

POSITION OF ADJECTIVESExcept for predicate adjectives, adjectives are usually placed next to the nouns or pronouns they modify, and the most common position of all is immediately before the element modified:

red herring, superior children, senior citizens (descriptive adjectives)

that book, many novels, twenty-four weeks (limiting adjectives)

Spanish grammar, German cooking, Greek wine (proper adjectives)

In some constructions, adjectives may also be placed immediately after the element modified:

The president delivered a speech brief and eloquent. (The writer has chosen this construction to achieve a desired rhythm.)

The actress delivered a monologue so personal that all who heard it were deeply affected. (Because the adjective personal is itself modified by the clause that follows, the normal position has been discarded.)

attorney general, court-martial(These terms were expressed in this order in French and are accepted as English expressions.)

Except in rare constructions, predicate adjectives follow the linking verbs they complete:
They looked doubtful.
He seemed irrational.
My teacher feels hopeless.
Happy was she. Innocent was the child. ( Such inverted constructions are reserved for special stylistic effect.)

COMPARISON OF ADJECTIVES
Adjectives have three comparative forms - absolute,comparative, and superlative - to indicate greater or lesser degrees of the quality described:
Absolute Comparative Superlative fat fatter fattest
fine finer finest
beautiful more beautiful most beautiful
intelligent more intelligent most intelligent

The comparative form of most adjectives can be achieved in two ways: by adding er to the absolute form or by adding the adverb more.
The superlative form of most adjectives can be achieved in two ways: by adding est to the absolute form or by adding the adverb most. Some adjectives change forms radically to express comparison: good,better,best,bad,worse,worst. Use the comparative form when discussing two items or individuals, the superlative when discussing three or more:
Of the two brothers, Fred is the more personable.
Of all his novels, the first was by far the most successful. Hazel is a better swimmer than her brother.
She is the best writer I know.

Use the comparative form when comparing a single item or individual with a class of items or individuals:
Anne was a better student than any of the men in her class.
Our town library has a poorer selection of fiction than any of the libraries in town.

ADJECTIVE PHRASE An adjective phrase is a phrase used to modify a noun or pronoun. Adjective phrases are formed by combining a preposition with a noun or pronoun plus the modifiers of the noun or pronoun:
The sofa in the dressing room needs repairs. (The adjective phrase in the dressing room modifies the noun sofa. The preposition in has room as its object. The noun room is modified by the dressing.)
Anyone in the room can be elected. ( The adjective phrase in the room modifies the pronoun Anyone.)
To ensure clarity, place the adjective phrases close to the word or words that the phrases modify. In most constructions, this means placing the adjective phrases immediately after the element modified.

NOUNS USED AS ADJECTIVES Nouns often function as adjectives: the Reagan years, the Clinton White House, the clothing store, the toy store, college life, street smarts:
Give me the bachelor life.
Book learning counts for a little in some circles.

ADJECTIVES USED AS NOUNS Just as nouns may function as adjectives, many adjectives may function as nouns: the high and mighty, The Naked and the Dead, the rich, the priveleged, the destitute, the homeless:
The race is not always to the swift.
The lame and the halt were received warmly.

PARTICIPLES USED AS ADJECTIVES Present and past participles are often used adjectives: growing disillusionment, leaning tower, used cars, tired phrase:
Watching closely, he was able to see everything that happened. (The present participle Watching modifies the pronoun he and itself modified by the adverb closely.)
A turkey roasting slowly gives off marvelous aromas. (The present participle roasting modifies the noun turkey and is itself modified by the adverb slowly.)
Audrey Hepburn, fondly remembered by thousands of us, will be sorely missed. (The past participle remembered modifies Audrey Hepburn and is itself modified by the adverb fondly and by the phrase by thousands of us.)

Participles used as adjectives may also take an object:
Watching her closely, he quickly learned the secret of her tennis serve. (The present participle Watching modifies the pronoun he and has as its object the pronoun her. Watching is itself modified by the adverb closely.)
Poirot, carefully pursuing every clue, finally decided that the chief suspect was innocent of the crime. (The present participle pursuing modifies Poirot and has as its object the noun clue. The participle is itself modified by the adverb carefully.)

DANGLING PARTICIPLES When you use a participle as an adjective, you must make certain that the reader can easily identify the noun or pronoun that the participle modifies. When your construction makes the reader uncertain of what is being modified, the mistake is called a dangling participle:
Consider the following sentences:
While watching closely, my purse was stolen. (A dangling participle: Obviously, my purse was not watching anything. Who was watching? I was watching. But I is not in the sentence.)
While I was watching closely, my purse was stolen.(Correct.)
Cooked rare, I could not chew my steak. ( A dangling participle: Obviously, I was not cooked rare. The steak was. But rare is too far from steak.)
I could not chew the steak, because it was cooked rare. (Correct.)

INFINITIVES AS ADJECTIVES Infinitives and infinitive phrases often function as adjectives. Infinitive phrases consist of infinitives together with their modifiers and objects or complements.

Consider the following sentences:
The way to win has not yet been made clear.(The infinitive to win modifies the noun way.)
Sabrina's determination to succeed overpowered her. (The infinitive to succeed modifies the noun determination.)
The President sent elements of our forces into action to provide food for the starving Somalians. (The ifinitive phrase to provide food for the starving Somalians modifies action.)
For his birthday, he was given a knife to use in shucking oysters. (The infinitive phrase to use in shucking oysters modifies knife.)

That's all folks!!!!!!

#2 Parent callmefred - 2007-05-22
Adjectives, Hmmmmm - Teachers Discussion

Either I am getting more cynical in my old age (21 again) or my antenae are playing me false for once, but with a request from an anon. with a posting name like Teaser, I doubt that this is the case.

Should, in the unlikely event, your plea for assistance be a genuine one, you do of course realise that anything I may say on the subject will be pounced upon by the usual suspects and picked to pieces with redulent (if clumsy) glee.

Therefore I regret that I have to decline your request. I'm sure this denial of help will be lambasted by certain elements, you know, those who feel they have to grab any thread that rears it's head and then scatter like confetti their pontifications masquerading as helpful advice down the ethernet.
If you want to know anything about adjectives, Google it. There will be so much information and advice available, you'll be a centenarian before you can digest even a part of it.

Toodle Pip

Teaser - 2007-05-22
callmefred - Teachers Discussion

You are one individual who is very difficult to deal with and a very proud one who never know how to bow down.
Now since you pretend to be a man of knowledge (as being shown on how you treat black serpent and turnoi), maybe you can extend a little help to me.
I came to China with my teaching materials left at home (yes, I know that's one stupid mistake and no need to reiterate it). You are fond of modifications/descriptions - can you at least tell me something about ADJECTIVES (anything that is in relation with it).
Time to have something good to discuss.

Anyone who can be of help, please dont't hesitate to do so.
Thank you

Return to Index › callmefred - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -