TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Leaving China - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Fed Up FT - 2007-07-02
Thanks, and more - Teachers Discussion

KJ, thanks again for the olive branch. I assure you I am not trying to "beat a dead horse" at this point, but for the purpose of additional context... Yes, what you characterize about the problems unique to training school work is quite true. What I want to add though, is that at two very different points in time during these past years, I strayed from the mess of training schools for the fantasized world of Chinese universities (as I had been a university instructor in the U.S.) and each time found them to be an even greater mess in terms of scale, apathy, ineptitude, greed, and complacency.

At least in the training schools, I can be sure that the great majority of students will be motivated. So that's my point, KJ, I tried every possible teaching arena in China (at least in my geographical area), and found ALL of them to be educational disasters (and most of my students conifde to me at some point that they feel the same - without any prodding from me).

If i could (or can) find a way to continue living in China, without needing to make my living from dealing with unscrupulous "school leaders," I would gladly do it.

Best wishes to you, KJ!

#2 Parent KJ - 2007-07-02
Thanks Fed Up - Teachers Discussion

Yes, thanks for your positive comments and thanks for bringing this discussion back on track. Also, I appreciate having a clearer picture of what you personally have been dealing with.

As you are no doubt aware, the majority of problems within the framework of EFL teaching in China is associated with private schools and so called training centers. I actually know of a few that are well managed and quite above-board, but they are few and far between. In fact, they are such a blight on the EFL landscape of China that I and others have repeatedly warned would be teachers in China of the problems associated with working for them for quite awhile now.

I view your decision to leave China as unfortunate. It seems that you are the kind of caring and astute individual that China needs. I believe that you would be well received and well appreciated in a university environment. And yes, it's true, that doesn't mean that you escape all the problems. But it does mean that you will be working with educators - yes educators who still see the dollar as the bottom line, but who in many cases have an equal amount of concern for the students.

But your point is well taken. I too am reaching a burn out point, but I'm going to hang in there a little while longer. When I quit doing this however, I'll remain in China and, like you, do what I can to help past students. Meanwhile though, I'll be taking it much easier and doing so with far fewer frustrations and hanging out in a place that is not polluted, is not overpopulated and that is pretty laid back and wondrously natural.

#3 Parent Fed Up FT - 2007-07-02
Regrets... - Teachers Discussion

KJ, thanks for a very thoughtful post. In this flurry of retaliating slaps, I apologize for including you in similar categories with Fish and USMC. I understand your desire to defend them. If that is what you must do, fine, whatever...

What Ive been seeking here from the three of you is a tad less denial about whats happening in China. As I clearly lost sight of your more balanced take on whats going on, I feel others have done the same with me as well. I mentioned numerous times, early on, that I sincerely enjoy teaching Chinese students, university-age and adults. The multitude of hours I have spent with them in a spectrum of classroom situations has given me a bounty of reward that cannot be measured. In the classroom, my sentiments run very close to yours. I praise my students for the steps they are taking in their lives, and I thank them for the more optimistic environment they have created here than certainly what I experience when teaching back in the U S A. Chinas gifts have certainly balanced the challenges -- on most days.

However, because Ive had quite of number of teaching gigs here, I cannot deny any longer that EACH and EVERY ONE of them was riddled with ethical and professional problems. I say again and again, I love teaching in China, but I hate working in China.

I make no apology for that statement, and those feelings are reinforced on a daily basis due to a number of factors.

The latest example I am presently working part-time in a very upscale training school. My students (varying in age from 16 to 48) are absolutely outstanding. They are engaged, inquisitive and strengthening their English skills (in my opinion) for mostly the right reasons. I teach three classes on Friday evenings, and also teach from 9:00 to 19:00 every Saturday and Sunday. It is simply a marathon of teaching Im exhausted when its over but also feel rewarded, and useful. I think there is sincere good will and collaborative spirit between me and the students.

That being said, the FTs at this school have ridiculous working conditions (in my opinion), and the management of this English-learning operation is simply inept and deplorable (and as usual, speaks little or no English!). I am trying my best to work in a cooperative spirit with the manager, because she wants me to continue with the school (I presently work without a contract). However -- and oh-so typically -- when I had private meeting with her yesterday between classes, to discuss serious concerns regarding teaching materials, working environment and services (internet, photocopier, etc.), she admitted to me Frankly speaking, we dont care about the education here. Just make the students happy, OK?

This is the VERY ATTITUDE (and the polite version, at that) that has been consistent and chronic in ALL of my teaching experiences here. Therefore, it makes me laugh when USMC and Fish and others berate us for not forgiving the legacy of the Cultural Revolution, etc. Its all hooey in my opinion. The problem is simply a matter of lack of integrity, foresight, or ethics. Bad attitude and bad behavior are just that. In no way, do I just chalk these thing up to the infamous its just business philosophy. And to blame and brow-beat FTs for the bulk of the problem is to me, shameful and infuriating.

FTs are lied to, ripped-off and worse, every day in China.

Chinese people (in general), students, neighbors, et al are not what is ultimately driving me away from China. Not at all. Its the many years that Ive encountered the dogged determination NOT to improve much of anything in the public or commercial BUSINESS of education. If I truly believed that my former employers honestly wanted to do things better and actually raise the quality of education, I could perhaps conjure up quite a bit more tolerance and patience but sorry, KJ, Ive had it!

Yes, I post the things I do because as much love as I hold in my heart for China, as much as I have received so many blessings and rewards during my years here, more and more, I would NOT encourage ANYONE to come here to teach English. China faces serious problems with regards to pollution. Its a dirty shame that the educational arena here is one of the most contaminated aspects of all. China really needs to clean up its act with regards to English education (in all of its various commercial manifestations) before I would ever urge any of my fellow American citizens to venture here with a desire to offer a hand in service. Yes, the students will (mostly) work hard and be appreciative, but the overriding condition will be controlled and determined by the wrong people with bad motives. The exploitative nature of school leaders, owners and operators creates an environment where foreign teachers are mostly viewed as yet another caged animal to be marketed, displayed and paraded around for their own financial gain. English has precious little to do with any of it, in their minds. It is these people that have brought me to the very psychological place I am with it today. Im sick to be part of it anymore. I will continue to teach and assistant my students via email (as I have for all the years Ive been here), but no more schools of any kind in China for me. Period.

China is am amazing and fascinating country just DONT WORK HERE.

#4 Parent KJ - 2007-07-02
it is to laugh....sincerely - Teachers Discussion

Yes, Fed Up I think you deserve an award for the most creative title of a post in this forum; albeit, what follows deserves few kudos if any. At any rate, thanks for the laugh.

Since you and your cohort, eng. teacher, have felt it ok to toss the word "apologist" into this discussion as if it had a special application here - and I don't mind laying aside the bantering tone in which you've used it - let's first address that issue.

So that we're on the same page, Wilkipedia defines the colloquial use as follows:
Today the term "apologist" is colloquially applied in a general manner to include groups and individuals systematically promoting causes, justifying orthodoxies, or denying certain events, even of crimes.

Well, I guess this is the first time I've been accused of being an apologist. But actually I don't mind, even though I'm not sure wherein you're placing me as far as the above definition goes. Probably something to do with denial because you seem to think I don't accept that there are problems that need dealing with in China for FT's and students alike. Not true. I am well aware of the problems. However, I seem to have a different approach. That is, I don't want to spend my time bemoaning the situation. I'd rather work from within, with as little complaining as possible, to help bring about the necessary changes.

It's true that I'm not always as sympathetic as some of you. That's probably because I've overcome a lot of obstacles in my life and haven't found that the "boo hoo, woe is me" approach does much good. Furthermore, I'm shocked that though there is a wealth of information to go along with just plain common sense, that so many teachers come off as the proverbial born every minute sucker.(Nevertheless, if I found myself in the actual situation where I could help an unfortunate soul who has blundered his way into calamity, I'm not so heartless as to turn away.)

So, I won't deny that there are problems and even outright criminal activity that needs to be addressed. Nor am I so naive as to believe that we're not living in a country that is seeped in corruption and greed. But here is where we seem to differ: I, though deeply aware of the problems, believe that change is inevitable and forthcoming; furthermore, I believe that the leaders are sincere in their desire to bring about a harmonious society, to weed out the corruption and to navigate this country out of the doldrums it has sailed into. Not a simple task. It's not just the residual effects of the last decades they're dealing with but also that of preceding dynasties. And therein lies the problem. They're dealing with mindsets developed over the millenniums and social systems that are archaic at best.

So in my opinion, rather than condemn them for what they have not achieved, they should be praised for what they have achieved. Sure there are many things that go on around me that downright piss me off. I've had to readjust my thinking in a lot of ways. Chief among them is becoming a bit more aggressive as opposed to being sufficiently assertive. On some days it takes a little will power to keep from going downright ballistic. However, if I'm going to consider myself a civilized, forward thinking individual, I must reign in the negativity as much as possible and try to see the positives. And there are many. Which brings to mind another of my problems with many of the posts here. So few of you have anything kind to say. It's all whining and, as I've said repeatedly, you don't even bring the cheese and crackers with that whine.

If I'm an apologist then, let me provide the following argument. Hu Jintao is, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant leaders on this planet. But for all his brilliance and that of his cohorts, he faces a daunting task. Human nature has run amok in certain parts of China. And, though the Chinese are quite resilient in that they have overcome some serious hardships, that doesn't seem to have translated as care for their fellow human beings on a scale that we would hope from a civilized society. Will it happen eventually? Yes, I think so. Will all peoples of all nations, get over themselves and stop man's inhumanity to man? I certainly hope so. Probably won't happen in my lifetime, but I'm not going to cry about it - I'm going to do my part to set things right.

Which brings me to my final point because I'm loosing my own thread anyway. I'm often in opposition to what is written in these posts because the inevitable message is to stay away from China, when in reality the message should be quite the opposite. We need more right minded individuals here. More proper role models for these young people that hope for a brighter future. More qualified teachers that are not scared away by the whiners. To bring such people here we need more balance. Fish has tried to do so and has been condemned by many of you. Some of you have even gone so far as to label him a recruiter, which is not only the most absurd notion you could set forth but also suggests that you must grasp at straws when you can't properly set forth an argument of your own or respond intellectually to one that comes your way. When Fish is off to his favorite fishing holes, he'll be sorely missed - we need his voice of reason. USMC, though he can fan the flames a little more vehemently than can I, has an underlying substance to his posts that resonate with me and that should not be lightly set aside. Remove yourselves from emotional responses and you'll probably find some serious logic within his posts.

#5 Parent Fed Up FT - 2007-07-02
Blurry-eyed from the Beijing kool-aid - Teachers Discussion

Great post, eng.teacher! Beautifully articulated!

While KJ certainly offers more intelligent posts than his comrades Fish and rabid USMC, you and I (and likely lots of others) see that these guys continuously try to deflect the real issue here by saying how much other countries have similar problems, etc.

Of course ALL countries are rife with problems uniquely their own, but the CENTRAL issue here is CHINA and conditions FTs and students face here.

Fish and KJ and USMC spend so much time tryng desperately to move the focus away from China. Obviously, they've been in China SO LONG that they have lost their focus and perspective on what is truly going on around them.

In the case of Fish, I still contend that his relentless, apoligist positions are to protect his livelihood and to sustain keep his guangxi with local authorities. Yes, the local and Beijing boys must be very proud of these western-Sino loyalists!

What is the flavor of that Beijing kool-aid? It must be quite tasty!

#6 Parent eng.teacher - 2007-07-01
The Point - Teachers Discussion

Hi KJ. Have you read the article in the China Daily dated 2007-01-06? It's about The Report on the Development of Chinese Talent in 2006 published by The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. In it they state that 70% of students who went to study abroad between the years of 1978 and 2006 did NOT return. They report that of the 1.06 MILLION Chinese students who went to study overseas ONLY 275000 returned home.
By my poor math thats 28 years. A little longer than it takes to see Disneyland, I'm sure you will agree.
How long must they stay abroad before you admit they are NEVER coming back?
As for your "waiting for someone to tell you how this relates to the earlier stated assertion that this is a representative faction of the population in terms of people wanting to flee China ( Paraphrased )"I do not recall anyone stating that. Whether you paraphrase it or not.
I also do not recall anyone stating that the people wanting to leave China do so because they hate their country and culture. They leave or do not return, in my opinion, because they have a better life in their adopted country. Surely even you would not try to argue that the Chinese students who choose to stay abroad , do so because they believe that their lives will be WORSE than if they returned to China.I don't think so!
They do NOT return because they believe that their lives will be BETTER in another country. And, according to the report mentioned above, this has been true for the last 28 years!
Also I don't recall anyone claiming that there would be an inevitable " exodus of boat people". That is a claim that you have invented in order to try to belittle the people that hold an opposing view to your own. Why do you feel it neccesary to do that?
So in future if you do not believe figures that are quoted here and you ask for the Source, if it is given to you, please have the courtesy to read it and respond accordingly, otherwise I, for one, will not take you seriously and regard you as an apologist for " The boys in Beijing"
Have a nice day.

#7 Parent eng.teacher - 2007-06-30
Here's the source - Teachers Discussion

If you need a definition of cheat and abuse look in a dictionary. If you want the source of the 70% figure look in the China daily dated 01-06-02 under the headline "China hit by brain drain says report" or the Peoples daily 12-06-07.
I think you will find both reports are about The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences blue paper on skilled individuals.
Hope that satisfies you. Enjoy and have a nice day.

#8 Parent KJ - 2007-06-30
your point is? - Teachers Discussion

For the moment I'll assume that you are merely trying to set the record straight. Ok, now the number's up to 75 percent. That's nice. Do we know how long they're going to stay. Maybe long enough to enjoy Disneyland. Hard to say. Seriously though, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how this relates to the earlier stated assertion that this is a representative faction of the population in terms of people wanting to flee China. (paraphrased)

Hmmmm. At 20 years old, after two years of shore duty in Japan, I made the decision to stay there after my discharge from the U.S Navy. It didn't work out that way for a few reasons not worth mentioning here; however, having made that decision was it therefore indicative of my desire to get away from America? Not. I was young and enthused about the opportunity to explore and experience a new culture. Human nature I believe. If one wants to learn about and immerse oneself in another culture, it does not necessarily follow that he hates his own country or culture.

At the age I am now I can state that without a doubt I prefer China to America. Do I hate America. No. No room for hate in my life. Just would rather be here. Chew on that for awhile. Yeah, I'll be that guy standing on the shoreline waving goodbye to the exodus of boat people that so many of you seem to believe is inevitable.

#9 Parent Tony - 2007-06-30
75% Don't Return - Teachers Discussion

China Daily last year wrote that 75% of Chinese university students that go overseas to study do not return to China to work. Also in the article it was reported that the Chinese government wants to send more overseas as they realize that China needs more foreign educated students than the numbers that are now returning to China to work. So it is a numbers game. For example if a 1000 students go overseas to study and 250 return. They know that is not nearly enough we will send 2000, 3000 or 4000 or what ever number it will be, so that more will be more foreign educated people working here in China in the future. It is a numbers game. The more you send the more that will return.

#10 Parent Wonderer - 2007-06-25
Okay - Teachers Discussion

We'll discuss it with you if you give definition to 'cheat' and 'abuse' and give your source for '70%'.

eng.teacher - 2007-06-25
Leaving China - Teachers Discussion

Many F.T's are unhappy with their situation in China. They are lied to, cheated and ( some would say ) abused.
Many F.T's defend China and the Chinese, useing the excuse of cultural differences etc.
Why then, do 70% of Chinese students, who go to study abroard, NOT return to China if it's such a wonderful place?
In my experience the Chinese themselves dislike the unfair treatment here as much as we do.
Anyone care to discuss this?

Return to Index › Leaving China - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -