TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › a slight digression - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent KJ - 2007-07-13
a slight digression - Teachers Discussion

FedUp - You write:

"I'll leave TRUE charity work to the Chinese people to do for themselves. At approx. 4000-4500 RMB per month for full time teaching, that's about all the "charity" work any foreigner should do here."

First off there are many people and organizations from other countries that seem to disagree with you and are quite willing to volunteer their time and energy to helping in the development of this country. But leaving that aside for the time being, let me address what you have said about full time teaching salaries.

Now I understand why you're still trying to save money to get out of here. It's unbelievable that after four years in China you haven't been able to negotiate a higher paying job for yourself. If you'll check the archives here, you'll find that I and others have long advised that accepting that kind of pay is selling yourself short. Sadly, many teachers, usually the unqualified ones will accept such lowly payment, just for the sake of traveling around China. But unfortunately, they along with you - and I'm assuming here that you have good qualifications - are enabling employers to pay such ridiculously low payment by accepting it in the first place. And, although you would have us believe that your sympathy for your fellow FT's has no limits, you, by accepting such low payment, are doing an extreme disservice to all FT's in China by helping to perpetuate the system of low pay that you will surely have noticed has not risen for a number of years.

So, I've said it before and I'll now say it again. If you're working for less than 6 or 7 thousand, for around 18 hrs. a week, you're either selling yourself short or simply have not learned the fine art of negotiation in this, yes, profit driven realm of EFL. And if you're doing so, your boss, bless his capitalist heart, is laughing all the way to the bank with bulging pockets. And guess what, if that bothers you, too bad - you've no one to blame but yourself. And please don't buy into the argument that because the cost of living is so low in some cities that 4 or 5 thousand is acceptable. I've even seen job offerings in Beijing that pay as low as 4 thousand and all I can do is laugh at that. Don't even think about working in Beijing for less than 8 thousand. Shanghai - no less than 10.

Yeah, yeah, no one is going to get rich teaching EFL in China. True enough. But you can make a decent wage that will enable you to save and still live a decent life if you negotiate properly and if you refuse to accept the jobs that won't offer you what you're worth.

Yes, qualified teachers, China needs you. Generally, you'll be well treated and well appreciated. There are traps, so tread lightly until you've learned the ropes; however, it's not really the mine field that some would have you believe. The young people of this country need your services. Even if you are foolish enough (or given to altruism) to accept low payment, that will be offset in some way by the appreciation you receive from them for your kindness and your concern for their future.

Return to Index › a slight digression - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -