TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Non-native speaker applying for a teaching job in China - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent wukong - 2007-07-30
no problem - Teachers Discussion

I'm myself a non-native speaker ( from Europe; I guess it could be a bit more difficult for Filipinos ... ), without any degree or even high school diploma ( only a TEFL ).

I taught in Thailand before, and I've been in China for almost a year now. Here, got my work permit, my 5-room apartment, 8000 rmb a month.

Just don't pay to much attention whether they ask for native speaker in their ads, send your resume and a nice motivation letter. If you're honest and dedicated to ESL teaching most of the schools would feel it and you'll see you'll get replies. ( stay away from chain schools such EF and Aston )

Good luck!

#2 Parent Carl (filipino) - 2007-07-30
NNS sounds like a recruiter. - Teachers Discussion

Ok to be non native English speaker but don't be too naive.

#3 Parent Brandon W - 2007-07-30
exteacher and recruiter (non Chinese) - Teachers Discussion

Good post Ivan. I used to get pay a pittance or nothing at all because the school administrators thought they were doing me a favour for hiring nonspeakers. Schools wouldn't pay for airfare, etc. Living conditions for nonspeakers were as bad as the local junior teachers. I even helped two teachers to return to their country, they were sick and tired. Good luck

#4 Parent Ivan - 2007-07-29
any recruiter here??? - Teachers Discussion

How much do you get pay for placing non-native speakers? pls reply only : same as a native speaker, half, nothing...

Thank you!

Ivan

#5 Parent comment - 2007-07-29
cn schools keep advertizing jobs for NNS (3,000 - 3,500 yuan a month) - Teachers Discussion

That's Underpaid
Salary (3,000 - 3,500 yuan a month) for reasonable working conditions (normal hrs and ok place to live)

Retired NNS servant

#6 Parent juls - 2007-07-29
message to NNS - Teachers Discussion

hello NNS, this is juls, may i know which country do you came from and which countries have you taught for the past 3 years. i'm interested to know about your teaching experiences as a nns. thanks!

#7 Parent NNS - 2007-07-29
You can - Teachers Discussion

I am a NNS and have been working in China for the last 3 years.Previously,I have worked in 4 different nations as a Teacher.If you are highly educated and CELTA certified,no one is going to stop you.

You WILL NOT be paid less!Contact me offline for more info.

#8 Parent Chan - 2007-07-28
Yes - Teachers Discussion

You'll be paid less but there are plenty of jobs for anyone.

juls - 2007-07-27
Non-native speaker applying for a teaching job in China - Teachers Discussion

Hello... I'm interested to apply for an ESL teaching job in China. I'm currently a licensed teacher from the Philippines with more than 10 years of teaching experience to primary school children. I have a very good command of the English language and am comfortable speaking with it since English is used as the medium of instruction in the school where I teach. Lately I've been surfing on the internet regarding ESL job postings on various websites and one thing I noticed is that most employers prefer "native-speakers" from certain countries only such as the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand... I am planning to pursue a TESOL training certificate course but after reading all these job postings , I'm having second thoughts whether or not I should still continue to pursue it since most of these employers would prefer "native speakers" from certain countries anyway instead of looking at the qualifications and experience of the prospective applicant. Is there really a chance for non-native speakers like me to teach in China? Please advice.... Thanks!

Return to Index › Non-native speaker applying for a teaching job in China - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -