TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Born English speakers? - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Extefler - 2007-08-13
Born English speakers? - Teachers Discussion

When I was born I didn't speak any language at all. I just blinked a little when the lights were too bright.

Seriously, I've never thought of myself as being privileged because I grew up learning and speaking English at school and home, nor the same for the Spanish I learned in school and in public places.

Too many of the Filipinos and Africans are also not trained teachers, also do not have the best interests of students at hand, and also are not dedicated to education as a profession. Try to recognise that.

The point some posters are trying to make is that Filipinos and Africans do not use English with a standard business voice or accent. University students and adult learners that are dedicated to improving their English are doing so because of their future work prospects. They want and need to be able to understand the most common accents they will be hearing in the work place. Frankly, the likelihood of a Chinese businessperson having phone conferences or meetings in English with Filipinos or Africans or Greeks is rather unlikely. It is far more likely to have meetings with Americans, western Europeans, Japanese and Koreans that all try to use some common accents.

I doubt any of us are trying to take away the cultures or rights of people wanting to teach English, but we need to ask if being an English teacher is an appropriate thing to do. Is there a reason for anybody to not teach English at home? Or math? Or history? If they are truly as dedicated to education as you like to think they are, and in the way you think backpackers are not, then they can be just as happy teaching any topic related to their degree at home.

As soon as we start to group people into categories, we get very close to racism and prejudice. Just try to learn to take everybody one person at a time, to see the value they have to offer, and learn to judge your own self first.

Return to Index › Born English speakers? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -