TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Career as an ESL teacher - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Guess Who - 2007-09-06
Re: macdonalds wallmark - Teachers Discussion

Hi Turnoi-
Maybe someday you will visit one of the two above mentioned companies in America to actually find out for yourself the type of workers employed there. You might even see for yourself a small part of the racist ignorance you've been spreading.

#2 Parent lingujisticus - 2007-09-05
Re: macdonalds wallmark - Teachers Discussion

I can't see how teaching in an Asian country such as THAILAND or CHINA should or could facilitate your search for a WELL-PAYING job back home.
The first thing to consider is this: As a TEFL cert holder you are working in low positions in the countries mentioned above.
Part of the reason is, no doubt, that you are not regarded as a professional teacher, which a mere TEFL cert holder really is not. You are in point of fact given an unique chance to live and experience foreign cultures without spending your own money.
Second: I don't know what employment requirements your cou8ntry's universities have, but they certainly differ from those in Thailand or China. They ought to b e more strict and subject-specific.
Let me say it without mincing words: Teaching is a DIFFERENT occupation from practising oral English! The former requires specific education, while the latter depends almost entirely on speaking skills.

#3 Parent panda - 2007-09-04
macdonalds wallmark - Teachers Discussion

thought they hire only/most non-native English speakers

#4 Parent Russ28 - 2007-09-04
Re: Career as an ESL teacher - Teachers Discussion

dont expect too much by adding to your resume your years of exp teaching esl overseas. Bunch of teachers coming back home to find jobs only at macdonalds wallmark..

Best to you.

Sharon - 2007-09-02
Career as an ESL teacher - Teachers Discussion

I recently taught in Thailand for 10 weeks as volunteer, and I fell in love with it. I want to teach as a career now and ideally I want to teach overseas.

However, I know that although I want to teach overseas for several years and make a career out of it, I don't want to spend my life overseas. I am also thinking about getting a Masters degree in TESOL so that I can get the better paying jobs overseas and also to help me get a good job when I return to the U.S. (Eventually I want to come back to my native country to live. As much as I want to travel, eventually I want to settle down)

My question is this: How easy is it to find a full time (university, or college ideally?)after teaching abroad for several years? Also, even more important (since I can't find this information anywhere) how easy is it to change teaching specialties, so that say if I was teaching TESOL abroad, I could go back to school so that when I return to the U.S. I can teach art, or elementary education, or English or something else in the education field?

Return to Index › Career as an ESL teacher - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -