TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › a few questions - Teachers Discussion
Micah - 2007-11-03
a few questions - Teachers Discussion

I've been an ESL teacher in America for close to six years now. For the last two years I've been browsing the ESL/EFL boards seeking a job in China. It's not a pressing need, but I do have a keen interest in Chinese history, art and literature; thus, I'd like to spend at least a year there.

What I've found to be extremely interesting is that the wages for positions with what seem like reputable organizations and institutions seem to be extremely low. In fact they seem to be static. So, my first question: Why don't the wages go up? I suppose the obvious answer is that it's easy to find someone willing to accept such low wages. But this is not a rhetorical question. It would seem that universities would jump at the opportunity to hire well qualified and experienced teachers, and that they would be willing to pay a decent wage to get them. From what I've heard, most universities are pulling in some serious cash.

My next question is somewhat of a digression. Why is it that most of the posters here in this forum don't seem to know the difference between ESL and EFL? Furthermore, why is that so many poor writers seem to be employed as teachers in China? Do they simply not know that their English is extremely poor? Moreover, do they simply not care that they are probably doing an extreme disservice to their students? That is, if they are so incapable of writing in English, doesn't it follow that they are equally incapable of teaching English? The obvious answer, that they are usually only teaching Oral English, doesn't quite add up.

Well, maybe things are different abroad, but it's certainly true that in America one must be capable users of the language before one can teach immigrants and/or international students. Actually, I would guess that few people would bother applying for such a position without proven or provable competence.

I apologize if I'm stepping on toes here, but I'd really like some answers to these questions.

Return to Index › a few questions - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -